Archived on 6/5/2022

Communities to have greater say in protecting local trees in urban areas

anon5422159
2 Jan '19

Consultation link here: Consultation on Protecting and Enhancing England’s Trees and Woodlands - Defra - Citizen Space

Note replies of a general or partisan nature may be moved into our opt-in General Politics category

Swagger
2 Jan '19

Most, if not all, of the big developers I know or have been aquainted with just rip the tree(s) up and pay the fine. It actually advises this in the House Builder’s Bible (11th edition). Not sure how such behaviour will affect later applications in boroughs where they’ve previously violated TPOs, though.

ForestHull
3 Jan '19

I would imagine past behaviour is immaterial when it comes to new planning applications. Sure the council may scrutinise and try to make things more difficult, but planning guidelines are very prescriptive and I would suspect that the planning committee are only allowed to reject applications according to material concerns under the guidance. Any unreasonable rejection could be legally challenged or get ‘called in’ and either end up costly or embarrassing for the council. Planning may also be a separate department from TPO enforcement.

Searching around it seems the max fine for a TPO violation is £20k if prosecution is taken to a magistrates court. Imagining that normally fines do not go this far, I can see how London property prices could quickly make knocking down a few trees profitable even with a fine. That’s quite sad.