Archived on 6/5/2022

Community shop?

anon30031319
23 Mar '18

I noticed this place a while back in Bermondsey, and wondered if there was a place for such a “business” in Forest Hill.
Can imagine a shared space having lots of benefits, but not sure exactly how it would work.

Just a thought, stolen from another borough.
Community store, lots of things under one roof.

Sgc
23 Mar '18

I liked the idea of ‘Penge Tout’ shop in Penge. Firstly excellent name but similarly was selling variety of goods produced by different people such jewellery, handbags, clothes hanger things. Basically nice mix of offerings by variety of mainly; I believe, locals. Also had classes on. Don’t believe it is there any more but I bought several presents from there ~ two of which didn’t make it to final recipient as I decided to keep instead :wink:

anon30031319
23 Mar '18

Interesting way to get a foot up with a little home run start up. Or maybe move on unwanted items etc. Has many potential uses. Just depends if it would be used.

Jane_Cameron
30 Mar '18

Something like this! https://www.plunkett.co.uk/community-shops

anon30031319
30 Mar '18

Yeah. Just a thought, guess it’s not that interesting to most given the response on here lol

weetman.benjamin
31 Mar '18

I love the sound of this (just created an account to reply). I’d think the old Waters Enterprise fishmonger/ green grocers on Perry Vale would be a great fit for the concept. I’d been invited by Steve to look around and before it’s untimely closing I saw that he did a fantastic job gutting the building out and cleaning the courtyard. As mentioned there’s the courtyard which I remember being quite large, a wet space, a small office, one or two storage spaces and the store front is big enough for a multitude of events and permanent displays.

Just a thought because like I said I think it’d be a great idea. That, or a bakery!

anon30031319
31 Mar '18

Imagine a shop that is manned by community volunteers, or local traders trying to get their first foot on the ladder to becoming a high st shop.

Imagine having a safe location, which is open til 8 or so each evening to have your parcels or other items delivered to, and just collect them on the way home from the station. Just chuck a few pennies in the pot as a thanks when you collect.
Sure there is Collect+ etc, but there are many more companies who don’t offer a collect service, so perfect for that.

Want to sell an item, but don’t have time to mess about with Ebay, or having people over viewing after work etc… Pop it in the community shop for viewing and collection, and throw a few quid in the pot as a thanks.

And sure, why not have a little section of fresh goods from a local bakery like the one in Brockley.
Even a few other fixed regular things.

Local craft jewellers and other people who make niche items, able to pop in for a day each week and sell their wares.
All a pipe dream, but a nice one I think.

Anotherjohn
31 Mar '18

This is one of the very few premises in central Forest Hill that could suit a proper bakery so I’m quite surprised that there hasn’t been a taker yet. Having said that, I’ve enquired about the property but it fell on deaf ears so there might still be some unfinished landlord and tenant business relating to the previous tenancy?

weepy
1 Apr '18

A bakery would be so good. ! Lots of support for that !

weetman.benjamin
3 Apr '18

I’d be curious to know why there hasn’t been a Shop To Let sign placed over the old Waters place yet? Unfinished business or not, surely the shop needs filling and the landlord needs rent money otherwise it’s just losing it? I don’t presume to know the finer details of how these things work, but maybe the landlords given up the property or the bank owns it seeing as the items inside were seized, perhaps the property too to settle the debt? Either or, it’s a real shame. The street has so much potential, it’d be a real shame to see it turn into another storage space.

Anotherjohn
3 Apr '18

Absolutely!

On Thursday, a tenant in one of my shops on Dartmouth Road gave me the nod that she’s closing and I’m already on it. Unfortunately, so far, I’ve only been approached by 2 barbers and 2 takeway food shops, all of which are oversubscribed in the area so they’re binned. Okay, as a landlord, the rent is important, but I think it’s also very important for neighbouring traders not to be burdened by an unsightly empty shop for ages so I hope it won’t be too long before something interesting comes along - especially for the amazing Waters premises, which I believe could attract a very special business to Forest Hill.

(Er, does that look too much like a blatant or even a subtle plug? It wasn’t meant to. I was really only making a point)

weetman.benjamin
3 Apr '18

Fingers crossed then that whoever holds the keys to the what was Waters is as concerned for the local neighbourhood as you are and that their waiting for the right tenant and business opportunity to move in. I wont say where I work on Perry Vale, but I have had numerous discussions about whether or not I know what’s to become of the old fishmongers, some regular customers even talking about partnering with a local market stall to set up a pop-up or fixed place.

Speaking of, maybe that’s what it needs to be… a rotating pop-up?! It’ll continuously create buzz monthly/ bi-monthly what-have-you and draw trade to Perry Vale plus increased interest as and when another store closes and becomes available to rent. Why shy away from the roads notoriety of fluctuating business and barrel in head first and make a shop out of it?

Anotherjohn
3 Apr '18

The Butchery on London Road started in 2012 as a pop-up and what a success that’s been.

I’m not sure how the landlord would feel about different businesses turning up every few weeks and drilling holes in the walls for their particular shelving and potentially leaving mess and damage before having to wait a few weeks for the next bit of dribs ‘n’ drabs rent from some other suck-it-and-see tenant to turn up for however long that may be. Oh, and he’d be paying the business rates for the void periods. Nah, can’t see it. Mind you, I still believe there’s a long-term viable business that’s made for this shop - they’re definitely out there somewhere.

ForestHull
28 Jun '20

A post was split to a new topic: Seeking former Water’s shop owner