Archived on 6/5/2022

Covid-19 Booster Vaccination

ChrisR
8 Nov '21

From today you can now book a Covid-19 booster appointment online if it’s been 152 days (5 months) since your 2nd dose of the Covid-19 vaccine and you’re in one of the following groups:

Appointment dates will be offered from 182 days (6 months) after the date of your 2nd dose.

You can also use this service if you’re a frontline health and social care worker. You’ll be able to book an appointment for a booster dose if it’s been at least 182 days (6 months) since your 2nd dose of the vaccine.

When I tried about 8.10 this morning I was initially number 273 in a queue with an estimated wait time of 5 minutes but it was actually only seconds before the booking screen appeared and the whole process only took a couple of minutes.

clausy
8 Nov '21

Side question: I had mine a few weeks ago and it’s not showing up in my NHS app Covid certs. Not that anyone’s been asking for proof of more than 2 doses, but has anyone else got a booster event recored showing up in their app?

LiamTheCleaner
8 Nov '21

I got my second vaccination at the weekend and it’s on the app today. States it can take up to 5 days to appear.

LiamTheCleaner
8 Nov '21

I appreciate that was not a booster dose but you would have thought it should update in the same way on the app? Unless you don’t need proof of a booster yet?

oakr
8 Nov '21

When I went to the Jenner Practise last week they had signs up saying they were not showing up in the app, I didn’t read the rest of it as I’ve not had one, but I guess it’s happening to lots of people.

ChrisR
19 Nov '21

I saw on the BBC News website earlier that Covid-19 booster vaccines are accessible on the NHS Covid Travel Pass from midday today . I’ve just checked my app and my booster which I had on Monday afternoon is shown :grinning: The booster is not currently showing on the Domestic Pass as it is not required to prove you’ve had the booster for any purpose within the UK.

Michael
21 Nov '21

Over 40s can book their boosters today subject to the details below but for 40+ not 50+
Booked my third dose in December.

oakr
22 Nov '21

Is there anywhere in SE23 anyone has got a booster jab?

All the places seem to be pharmacies, so strange none seem to be in SE23 - just wondering if it’s just availability or something else.

…and also will the GP practice contact people to book their booster (I got my first 2 at the local GP)? Last time I booked an appointment for Lewisham hospital I think it was, but then cancelled it and booked into the Jenner Practice a few days later when they sent a text - is this likely to be the same for this (I know Jenner have been doing boosters, but not sure if just for priority groups).

Michael
22 Nov '21

I booked mine at Waldron Health Centre close to New Cross Gate. Hopefully I’ll get a text from the Jenner and get an appointment around the same time, then I can cancel the New Cross appointment.

starman
22 Nov '21

I first received notification from the NHS and booked at Guys Hospital. I later got a text from Vale Medical Centre to book at Sydenham Green.

ChrisR
23 Nov '21

Although I had a letter from the NHS and a text from my GP for my original vaccinations I haven’t received anything from either of them about the booster! I just went online and booked as soon as it was announced that you could book appointments up to one month before your eligible date. I chose to go back to Lewisham Hospital vaccination centre where I had both my first and second jabs and was very happy with how well it was managed. Although I’d booked I noticed that they are also doing walk in clinics for the booster on Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays from 8am to 5pm. I was in and out in under 40 minutes and that included the mandatory 15 minute wait as I’d had the Pfizer vaccine.

HannahM
23 Nov '21

Heard nothing from my GP but they only opened up booking for my age group yesterday.

Booked online, going to Denmark Hill centre as I have to be at the dentist over that way earlier the same day (I’m clearly a glutton for punishment).

HannahM
23 Nov '21

Oh and as if by magic just got my NHS text inviting me to book a booster.

ChrisR
24 Nov '21

Following my comment yesterday I’ve now received both an email from the NHS and a text message from ‘NHSvaccine’ this morning advising I’m now able to book the booster and providing the link to do so. As I was eligible to have my booster from November 15th and actually had it on that day it would seem they’re catching up on contacting those eligible without checking records as to whether it’s already be done!

Sherwood
24 Nov '21

You can telephone your GP surgery before you receive a letter to make a booking.

AndyS
24 Nov '21

Mine have all :syringe: :syringe: :syringe: been at the Conisborough Crescent pharmacy/health centre behind the Co-op diagonally opposite Homebase (Southend Lane). It’s always been the nearest convenient option available when I’ve booked online. I don’t recall ever seeing anywhere in SE23 on offer.

Billie
24 Nov '21

Had my booster and flu jab at the same time at the Jenner a few weeks ago. All fine.

AndyS
25 Nov '21

I should have clarified: I booked online and the Jenner wasn’t offered as an option. But my OH booked as a result of getting called by them, so got jabbed at the Jenner. Perhaps that was the case with you?

Billie
25 Nov '21

Yes - I got a text from them and it’s where I’m registered.

GillB
27 Nov '21

I received a letter from the NHS yesterday saying my booster status wasn’t on my record, so I should go & have it done!
I had it done about about 6 weeks ago, what on earth is going on with their records, :rofl:

marymck
27 Nov '21

I had a phishing email purporting to come from the NHS. It said I had to respond within 24 hours. I have had all 3 Covid jabs plus my flu jab. I’m sure a postal letter is fine though. I don’t see how that can be phishing, but perhaps safest to contact your GP rather than follow any links you get sent especially if via text or email.

James_Todd
27 Nov '21

All I’m saying on the subject is the booster hurt much more than the first two. Ouch.

GillB
27 Nov '21

I’ve just ignored it!

ChrisR
27 Nov '21

Gill - are you set up for online access to your medical records? If so then your original two vaccinations and the booster should show in both the medications and immunisations section.

If the booster doesn’t show then you would need to query it with your surgery or where you had it done.

GillB
28 Nov '21

No we aren’t. I was sent a link to book to have my jabs from my GP surgery as I have them done at the Tessa Jowell centre as my surgery is Southwark.
I’ve got the cards to prove I’ve had it done, & I know the 2 previous jabs & the flu jab are on my records, so I’m not worried about it.

ChrisR
28 Nov '21

I’d still query it with your GP surgery to make sure as mistakes do occur. My first jab somehow got recorded on my records with a totally different batch number to the one that was entered on the card I was given at the time, and turned out to not even be a valid Astra Zeneca batch code at all!

GillB
28 Nov '21

I could do, but I am under the the care of Rheumatology at Kings as well & they are aware that I have had my jabs.
To be honest after the care I have received from my GP surgery this year I am reluctant to contact them about anything!
They are very good at tick boxing. I was asked to book a telephone call with a GP which I had this week. She didn’t even know exactly what she had to talk to me about, apart from checking if I had had a dex scan this year being as I broke my leg back in April. I had the scan back in July, so she looked it up & said oh yes, well there isn’t anything else!

Sherwood
28 Nov '21

I have had all my three vaccinations at Sydenham Green Medical Centre. Procedures have worked well there and the staff are very helpful. However, on the third visit there were several people turning up without appointments expecting to get a vaccination.

ChrisR
28 Nov '21

I can see why 're reluctant to contact your GP. Maybe contacting the Tessa Jowell Centre would be easier as they gave you the booster!

marymck
28 Nov '21

No harm in double checking everything. Even pre Covid King’s made mistakes and as for my GP surgery … rolls eyes.

Eg I had to have an iron infusion at Kings. While I was in the department waiting room a very tearful lady came out of the treatment room, to be joined some minutes later by a manager. Turns out the nurse(?) had actually started her treatment before realizing she’d got the wrong patient. The distressed lady had been given the wrong meds.

Then when I had my post iron infusion treatment letter it gave a completely different medical history to mine! It’s still on my GP records, because my GP refuses to remove it as “it came from the hospital and we have to record it on your records and only they can change it”. I’m changing GPs shortly due to moving house and hoping I can get it removed then. It records the medical history of a cardiac patient, with a very, very different issue to mine.

Even my last letter from cardiology had another, different mistake. Arthritis changed to Arteritis. I had to resort to Dr Google to find out what Arteritis is. I’m happy to say my cardiologist has since confirmed I have never had it. It was just a typo. Scared the bejeebers out of me for a while though.

GillB
28 Nov '21

Yes maybe I will.

oakr
1 Dec '21

I waited to see if anything changed. I don’t think the Jenner will be offering them to non priority groups (that’s a guess), but I’ve booked now at Lewisham Hospital next week.

If you do log in to book on the NHS site, you might get a slightly scary looking you are x thousand in the queue, but it moves quikly (took less than 5 minutes to get to the booking page). I booked Monday and got an appointment a week later so there is capacity.

There does seem to be a bit of concern about this new variant so probably worth getting your booster (or indeed 1st or second dose) as soon as you can, especially with Xmas coming up if you plan to be more indoors than normal with others, keeping in mind it takes around (or at least) 2 weeks for some of the benefits of the booster to kick in.

applespider
1 Dec '21

I’m hoping the site updates to the three month criteria as I’d really like to get my booster before I go up to Scotland for Christmas. But the 6 month criteria put first appointment at 23 December by which time I’ll be there.

If needs be, I’ll wait til the New Year. The ONS blood tests are still showing that I have antibodies as of last week!

oakr
1 Dec '21

With typical timing a few hours after my post above the Jenner Practice has messaged and have released quite a few slots! My wife got booked for tomorrow and I am next week so will cancel my Lewisham Hospital one I booked through the NHS site.

Great they are doing it, and I guess others will be send messages also maybe for other GP services that were also doing it previously?

ChrisR
3 Dec '21

For anyone requiring a vaccine the vaccination centre at Lewisham Hospital has walk-in clinics today and tomorrow and then 6 days a week from Monday. It look’s like the criteria for boosters is still 6 months after the 2nd vaccine though, but with opening for 6 days a week from Monday maybe that will change.

ChrisR
3 Dec '21

From this article on BBC News website this afternoon it looks like you should be able to book your booster by the 13th December:

applespider
6 Dec '21

I was in town today so stopped in at St Thomas who were doing walk ins. Under an hour from registering to walking out. Guys also doing them (although longer queues/less capacity at that site today) if you’re near London Bridge.

Best of all, they are following new guidelines so you can be between 3-6 months from second dose and under 40.

James_Todd
6 Dec '21

Is this being advertised anywhere? The wife wants to get hers sorted ASAP rather than wait the six months but she doesn’t want to go all the way into Waterloo unless she’s pretty sure this service is running.

applespider
6 Dec '21

There’s a very useful subreddit, GetJabbed, where people are reporting what’s available virtually in real time. That’s where I initially found that Guys were doing it - and that they’d reached capacity for the day. But St Thomas had spaces.

Sure enough, I got there and all was good. The guy vaccinating me said that Guys/St T are trying to make as many spots as possible available. So Centre 1 at St Thomas wasn’t originally going to be open but, as there weren’t a lot of booked Moderna second doses at Guys, they transferred staff over to St Thomas and opened up an extra walk-in clinic tent which was doing a brisk trade - occasionally a short wait (5-8 people) to register and then about 30 minutes to get to a cubicle.

I’d say go earlier in the day than later but, in theory, both sites are open til 7 or 8pm so long as they have capacity.

James_Todd
6 Dec '21

Thanks!

BlueBell
7 Dec '21

Had my booster on Saturday at Our Lady & St. Philip Neri school Sydenham Road, they do walk ins Sat & Sun.

oakr
7 Dec '21

Just had mine at the Jenner. Was jabbed within 15 minutes of arrival, super efficient as always with a great team of volunteers.

They do advise waiting 15 minutes after the jab (I had AZ for my first 2 jabs, but I think it’s mostly Pfizer for the booster, which is what I had).

They are also offering the flu jab at the same time for anyone over 50 or with underlying health conditions.

HannahM
7 Dec '21

I have just had mine at King’s Hospital (comes up as Denmark Hill centre on the booking site). Well organised and easy to get to.

Would recommend it if you are looking for a location to get done.

MackemJo
7 Dec '21

I also had mine at the Jenner this morning and was again impressed by the whole process. The volunteers and staff are just brilliant and I applaud them. Fantastic.

Stammers
7 Dec '21

Is Jenner walk in? Thanks

oakr
7 Dec '21

Booking only I believe. I got a text from them with a link to book. I suspect you need to be registered with them (or maybe of of the associated modality surgeries).

I booked for Lewisham Hospital before which is walkable or 185 bus journey, or as @Michael did the one near New Cross just a few stops on the Overground.

Good luck!

TomAngel
7 Dec '21

Any news on how many jabs we are supposed to be getting per year? I hear Israel is already looking at 4th jab. I’m hoping we can have at least 3 vaccinations per year to be on the safe side.

Stammers
7 Dec '21

Thanks I’m with Vale Medical Centre and no text yet. Previously they sent me to Sydneham Green who I phoned up and they told me they won’t have vaccines until after Xmas. Hope that saves someone from waiting 30 min on hold!

oakr
7 Dec '21

Someone high risk in my family has been told by their doctor (during an unrelated appointment) to expect a 4th Jab in Jan / Feb next year. Who knows if that will be expanded to other groups, though it certainly seems possible. Either way, for my family member that would be 3 in a 12 month period, 4 in a 14-5 month period.

I would assume it will depend on variants and once they have more data on how long protection lasts from vaccines, as well as any advances in treatment.

ForestHull
7 Dec '21

Posts were merged into an existing topic: Topic removed: Christmas school play cancellations

Sherwood
7 Dec '21

I think you may need to go through your GP surgery.
My surgery seemed to have certain days at Sydenham Green allocated to them.

ChrisR
7 Dec '21

Sydenham Green are in a partnership with The Vale and Woolstone Medical Centre and they were doing all the Covid vaccinations for patients of all 3 surgeries. However although I’m with Woolstone Medical Centre I found it quicker and easier to get all 3 of my jabs at Lewisham Hospital vaccination centre as I’m close to the 185 bus route!

HOPcrossbun
8 Dec '21

Thanks for the tip! I tried this today and it worked! Only waited a short period of time.

For info - I am under 40 and only 5 months since second jab. They gave it to me (and everyone there) with no hesitation.

applespider
8 Dec '21

Glad to hear it.

I’ve also seen today that apparently the main NHS website is now accepting bookings over-40s with a three month gap - including amendments to existing bookings. But that the under-40s might a little longer.

Matthew_Benney
9 Dec '21

Just been turned away at Lewisham Hospital for being a shade under 40. I hear guys is now appointment only. Does anyone know anywhere else? I’m travelling soon and will be away when my 2nd jab 6 months expires, and it looks like that might cause problems in some countries. Thanks

applespider
9 Dec '21

Take a look at the reddit sub; Get Jabbed which seems to be the best crowd-sourced current info out there. There’s a London-centric thread which if you sort on newest comments should help. It currently says that Guys were open first thing but only had limited numbers of walk-ins which are gone. But St Thomas is still open. They’ll also tell you whether it’s walk in straight to the tent or if there’s a central point to walk in and ‘book’ an appointment first. Best of luck.

GillB
10 Dec '21

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I had received a letter to have my booster when I have had it done on the 7th October.
I downloaded the NHS app tonight to get the Covid pass & noticed that although my first 2 jabs had been recorded my booster hadn’t (as I suspected). So I have rung 119, & they are forwarding it to the data team to get it rectified. I should hear from them within the next 21 days.

GillB
10 Dec '21

Are there no pharmacies doing it?
Where my daughter & partner live in Putney he had his flu jab, pneumonia jab (together) & his booster a couple of days ago as he is clinically vulnerable at their local pharmacy.

oakr
10 Dec '21

I know there were issues before, but had mine this week and was on the NHS app the day after.

Hope yours gets sorted soon.

GillB
10 Dec '21

I’m sure it will now I have reported it. My husband had his about 3 weeks ago & his is recorded, & mine is more important!

applespider
10 Dec '21

The data team are apparently inundated. My cousin ended up having initial dose in London and second in Scotland. She’s been trying since September to get them to marry up with multiple 21 day periods quoted . I’ll keep my fingers crossed that yours goes more smoothly

GillB
11 Dec '21

Yes! I’ll let you know what they say when they have rung me.

Nomis46
11 Dec '21

Got to Guys at 8 today, queued for about 20 mins and have a booster appointment booked for 2pm at the hospital. So not the easiest process but apparently those pre 8 got earlier slots.

jaffa
11 Dec '21

Got my booster jab (Moderna at the time) on Wednesday at Silverfields pharmacy, a two minute or so walk from Homerton overground station. Walk-in, just a few minutes wait after giving my NHS number to the lovely and exceptionally efficient staff, and done. As painless as can be! Highly recommend them if you don’t mind the journey. They were doing anyone 18 and over.

applespider
11 Dec '21

NHS booking system is apparently allowing over 30s to book now if you haven’t found a walk-in or GP to do it.

AvyC
11 Dec '21

Thanks so much for flagging!

ChrisR
1 Jan '22

GillB
3 Jan '22

I had to ring 119 again today as my Covid vaccination record still hasn’t been updated.
I’ve been told it will now be marked as urgent. We will see……