Archived on 6/5/2022

Crafty Beer [Closed Permanently]

anon5422159
20 Jul '16

New shop sign today for the craft beer shop on Perry Vale. The owner made it himself!

Londondrz
20 Jul '16

That shop has been calling me.

CraftybeerSE23
20 Jul '16

I am the crafty beer thanks for everyone to manage like that useful page on SE23
All my bottles and much more thinks I am going to share all of you
Thanks

RachaelDunlop
20 Jul '16

Love the sign! My OH often pops in for a few bottles of beer on his way home

comoed
21 Jul '16

I :heart: crafty beer

SteveG85
21 Jul '16

I bought a few beers from Crafty Beer for the first time last Friday - service was great as were the beers

CraftybeerSE23
21 Jul '16

CraftybeerSE23
22 Jul '16

system
22 Jul '16

:white_check_mark: this is an approved commercial post

Thanks for your support, Crafty Beers

CraftybeerSE23
22 Jul '16

CraftybeerSE23
22 Jul '16

starman
22 Jul '16

Great beers. Love

Pauline
22 Jul '16

Great to see you on here, here’s a pic I took the other night when I popped in to ask you about your new signage :slight_smile:

BTW Loving the new signage & name!

djrightmove
22 Jul '16

The Dark Daze imperial stout really was a1.

love this place.

CraftybeerSE23
22 Jul '16

pirateyqueen
25 Jul '16

Nice! Will have to stop by one evening. Do you stock Wiper and True Milkshake stout by any chance?

Emily
7 Aug '16

Are there known hours of opening? My husband and I have been down about 7 times during normal hours and 5 of those the shop has been closed!!

fran
10 Sep '16

We went today and it was closed! Anyone know what times it is actually open?

Emily
10 Sep '16

It seems utterly random!

jonfrewin
10 Sep '16

It’s open now - was closed at 1pm or so

anon86223367
14 Sep '16

Get my Thursday night beers from here. Great gaff.

Dave
14 Sep '16

The shop is almost always open when I get off the train in the evening - I am guessing that the evening commuter market is a good one for the owner.

tomswanson
22 Sep '16

How come I haven’t heard of it? I am going to check this place right…now

Foresthillnick
22 Sep '16

Apparently he has a brand new beer in today so I will be popping by after work…

starman
16 Jan '18

I’ve noticed a couple of times recently that the shutters have been down when the shop should’ve been opened. There is a sign on the window but it is impossible to read through the perforations of the shutters.

Anyone know if they are/have been on holiday, or anything else? The last couple of times I’ve looked in the window stock has been woefully low.

Foresthillnick
16 Jan '18

I was wondering the same and fear he may be on the way out. Unfortunately for him he cannot match the range of Clapton Craft and even though I really like the fella I can’t see him lasting without some sort of changes.
He seemed fine when I saw him at Christmas and he gave OH a nice little pressy which was charming

RachaelDunlop
16 Jan '18

My OH went to buy some beers from him between Christmas and New Year and he was closed. Haven’t seen him open since.

ametzelaar
16 Jan '18

I couldn’t read the sign completely but I managed to pick out it was from the Landlord, so assume something’s happened and he’s shut down :worried:

Jimsthename
16 Jan '18

He had an op last year (shoulder) so might be related to that.

Shame if he is closing. Sadly, as a bigger brand, Clapton Craft also had some industry contacts that he didn’t. He made a point of not using wholesalers so he could keep prices down for punters and his own profit margin up, but sadly at the detriment of stock choice.

Was a revelation when he opened, the first really decent craft stockist in the area and I make a point of using Crafty Beer to buy the beers that both he and Clapton Craft stocked.

Foresthillnick
17 Jan '18

Totally with you there. I was amazed to see a local beer shop and consistently bought some good local beer from him. However therein lay the issue - as he refused to deal with wholesalers he was limited to what he could get. It is always nice to sample a new beer once in a while or to try something leftfield and so I think more folks migrated down the road. Speaking of which I have an acid stout in the fridge!

applespider
17 Jan '18

I bought a few times but less so recently. That’s partly because the offer seemed to stay fairly static - a few times I asked for recommendations based on other beers I liked but was generally pointed to the same beers.

I’m well-chuffed tonight though to have got one of the Brewdog ‘I Wanna Be Your Dog’ collaborations with Omnipollo. It’s an Imperial Stout at something like 12%. I tried it at their recent Q&A and it was, honestly, like pudding in a glass. I’m not usually a great stout fan but this was so amazingly gorgeous that I’ve accidentally managed to fill a case of other beer to help pad it out… oops!

Gem
31 Jan '18

Does anyone know where he has gone? Xmas
Lights still up but seems to still be closed, we liked Mr Crafty beer!

Foresthillnick
1 Feb '18

I don’t know where he has gone but the shop is closed for good.
I think the landlord took possession of the shop and from what I hear he had been struggling for a while.
Shame - I liked the guy but his selection was limited and got more so as time went on.

RachaelDunlop
1 Feb '18

A great shame as he was a pioneer on Perry Vale. Wishing him well and here’s hoping we get another great indepdent business in that unit.

anon5422159
12 Jul '18

Continues: Something new coming to Crafty Beer?