Archived on 6/5/2022

Crochet Appreciation / The Yarn Bomber strikes again

Lj
15 Jul '20

For those of you who aren’t commuting at the moment and maybe haven’t been to the station recently. Just thought I’d share some of the beautiful crochet someone has kindly gifted our station…

Thank you to the peron(s) who have made our commutes a little cheerier everyday!

anon5422159
15 Jul '20

Great find @Lj, thanks for sharing here!

starman
15 Jul '20

When passing next, could you get a clear picture of the ‘crochet cafe’ sign and post it? Tah. :slightly_smiling_face:

Lj
15 Jul '20

Yep I will tonight on my return :+1:

I did regret not doing this just after taking the photos.

Lj
15 Jul '20

As promised…

Clair
18 Jul '20

I saw some on Malham Rd back in April. The designs were delightful. Only got 1 photo left in my library

maxrocks
18 Jul '20

They bring me so much joy going to and from work I almost missed my train the other day photographing them!
Commuting is so stressful at the moment-not to mention being ‘back in the real world’ and these are little rays of sunshine :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

foresthelen
19 Jul '20

Vincenzo_Spadaro
19 Jul '20

Someone photographed the artist and posted a photo on Instagram. Checkout @peopleofforesthill

Hoarsewhisperer
24 Jul '20

They have been amazing and a real treat for our 2yo on the way home from nursery but on the way home tonight it appears quite a number, including the walrus have gone. Very sad if people have stolen them.

Lj
24 Jul '20

That’s a shame if that’s the case! They were there when I came out the station on Wednesday.

maxrocks
25 Jul '20

Most of the ones on the south side of the station carpark have gone, walrus, duck,flamingo etc…in fact this morning it appeared that a few from the west facing side had gone too.
I find it heartbreaking that some idiots have to ruin something that brought real joy to adults and children alike-plus the work that went into these pieces was a surely a labour of love.
I actually find it more upsetting than the theft of the christmas tree hat because someone gave so much time and care to make these woolen sculptures for the enjoyment of others in that ugly station car park.
Why cant people just leave nice things alone for all to share?

Lj
27 Jul '20

Fear not…they are back in place!

maxrocks
28 Jul '20

Gone again today…I was there at around noon.

Lj
29 Jul '20

I promise you they are there…

maxrocks
30 Jul '20

What about the Walrus, Ducks and so forth the ones nearest WH Smith?
Those are the ones I was referring to
I love these so much I feel weirdly proprietorial towards them!

wmorgan1
10 Sep '20

wmorgan1
22 Sep '20

Clair
23 Sep '20

Love these!

wmorgan1
6 Oct '20

blushingsnail
7 Oct '20

Does anyone have the contact details of the person doing the crochet? Or shall I put a note through the front door of the house with the distinctive front garden, and hope it’s the right address?!

ForestHull
14 Nov '20

They are credited to “London Yarn Bomb”:

Looks like there an Instagram here: Login • Instagram

wmorgan1
30 Nov '20

ForestHull
30 Nov '20

Fantastic - I was sad to see they had gone the other day, but looks like they were taken in and then updated for the season :slight_smile:

Clair
30 Nov '20

Saw them yesterday. Absolutely charming & they’re keeping the posts warm & cosy :wink:

ForestHull
3 Dec '20

Do pom-poms count as crochet? This tree with its wooly jumper and pom-poms made me smile anyway :slight_smile:

ForestHull
13 Dec '20

Up at the station at have a whole nativity along with other festive creations. Here’s a selection of the work:

It must have taken hours and hours to make these delightful pieces - amazing work LondonYarnBomb and Merry Christmas to you too!

wmorgan1
5 Apr '21

Spring comes to Malham Road Bollards

Clair
5 Apr '21

Donut worry :rofl: love it. They’re all pretty fab!

GillB
6 Apr '21

They are so lovely. The person/s who made them certainly has a talent. Although I used to be a prolific knitter, (not able to now due to rheumatoid arthritis) I could never get the hang of crocheting. :blush:

wmorgan1
7 Apr '21

New bollards on Beadnell Road, looks promising.

GillB
7 Apr '21

Yes we will have to see! Does anyone know who makes them?

marymck
7 Apr '21

I can crochet … but I can’t knit (I never could work out what to do if I dropped a stitch or needed to correct anything). We could have made a good team!

GillB
7 Apr '21

Ha ha! Yes I could have knitted say a cardigan & you could have crocheyed an embellishment around it :relaxed:
Not sure I have spelt that right!

wmorgan1
7 Apr '21

Post from July '20
Someone photographed the artist and posted a photo on Instagram. Checkout @peopleofforesthill

Looks like there is an Instagram here: https://www.instagram.com/london_yarn_bomb/

wmorgan1
9 Apr '21

ForestHull
9 Apr '21

Oh wow - that’s very creative, getting the pots in there too :smiley:

Clair
9 Apr '21

Saw them yesterday thought how lovely! Looking forward to seeing the crocheted hose pipe coming down the road to water them.:wink:

wmorgan1
15 Apr '21

20210415_162645

20210415_162922

20210415_162815

20210415_162833

20210415_162752
My favourite.

20210415_162726

20210415_162621

oakr
15 Apr '21

How good are those!? Love them, my favourite is the blue tit!

Clair
15 Apr '21

That bush is busy with birds.

starman
15 Apr '21

Does anyone know the person/people who do the bollard crochets at Forest Hill station and other places? I’d love to do a piece on them for the Forest Hill Society newsletter. If they prefer anonymity we can keep that as well.

ForestHull
15 Apr '21

I think they were credited to “London Yarn Bomb” as well, see some vague info here: Crochet Appreciation - #22 by ForestHull

You could also knock on the door of the ‘crochet house’ I suppose…

oakr
15 Apr '21

If @ForestHull’s suggestion doesn’t work, I think I might know where they live based on the front garden of a house (unless it was commissioned!), if you want the road PM me (I don’t know the number but can direct you).

starman
15 Apr '21

Thanks. I think I know which road it is as well. I am hoping though that someone might have another form of contact before I start cold calling on doors in a pandemic.

oakr
15 Apr '21

A call or video call would certainly be better, but I actually feel knocking on someone’s door and all staying outside can be done pretty safely nowdays. Good luck, let’s see if they want to be the Banksy of the crochet world!

ForestHull
15 Apr '21

You could also drop a friendly note through the door asking them to get in touch. Maybe embroider your message on a hanky if you want to really get their attention :crazy_face:

ChrisR
16 Apr '21

Not local but love this one in Windsor from the BBC News website:

applespider
16 Apr '21

It’s brilliant - and I can give you a very tenuous connection. My colleague’s Mum is part of the group who made it. She made the Queen on this one…

Alex18
16 Apr '21

I just love seeing these wherever and whenever they pop up. Huge thanks to the kind heart of whoever makes them and sends them out to bring cheer.

Eva
16 Apr '21

They are on Instagram, you could try a DM?

https://instagram.com/london_yarn_bomb?igshid=1i707gxmy9h7i

Patrice
19 Apr '21

Beautifully made and so heartwarming to see - thank you mystery crocheter for enhancing our neighbourhood SE26/SE23

GillB
18 May '21

They are so nice & would make a lovely present for a child as thru can just be put in the wash when dirty, depending on the stuffing I suppose.

wmorgan1
12 Nov '21

maxrocks
5 Dec '21

I miss seeing the crochet at FH station.
It used to brighten my day!

Michael
6 Dec '21

The Yarn bomber is out again:

Stolen from my friend’s Facebook page.

maxrocks
6 Dec '21

Brilliant!
Just when I was lamenting the lack of Crochet Joy at the station.
Looking forward to seeing them tomorrow morning :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Candle
7 Dec '21

Noticed them for the first time- this morning at FH station… THANK YOU!

wmorgan1
20 Mar '22

Wastdale and Malham Road …spring has arrived!