Archived on 6/5/2022

Cyclist/Runner assaulted Honor Oak Park

Paschi
30 Sep '20

A cyclist and a runner were threatened by an individual in Honor Oak Park on the 29/09 at about 21:30. The runner was slapped and chased by the individual. Police have advised residents to be vigilant as there have been multiple reports of similar incident in the area (not too sure if its same individual perpetrating).

anon5422159
30 Sep '20

Sorry to hear this. Are you able to share a description of the perpetrator?

NewtoSE
30 Sep '20

Hi, sorry to hear about this, I’d be grateful for some more info. Was it a mugging or a physical assault, and is it just one part of Honor Oak, or different areas?

Paschi
30 Sep '20

Difficult to provide accurate description as it was dark and it happened very quickly. What I can say he was middle aged, fairly tall wearing dark clothes. Police did not specify if incidents have been happening in isolated areas or across Honor Oark/SE23.

NewtoSE
30 Sep '20

Thanks for the info.

Fishface
30 Sep '20

Black - White - Asian?
Helps to know…

Jack
30 Sep '20

Where exactly In Honor oak park / SE23 area?

clausy
30 Sep '20

How would that help exactly?

Fishface
30 Sep '20

To aid identification, pretty obvious really.

clausy
30 Sep '20

Right. So it would help for the police to know that. My question is why do we need to know?

marymck
30 Sep '20

Seems a perfectly legitimate question to me. Why have any kind of a description?

clausy
30 Sep '20

This describes me, broadly. If ‘he’ turns out to be white then it narrows it down further. Should people now be worried about me walking down Honor Oak high street because they think I look like a suspect in an assault?

A description is valuable for the police in identifying a suspect - a detailed description if made public by the police would certainly be valid here if they ask for help in identifying a suspect.

anon27836993
30 Sep '20

Shocking news to hear whatever time or day!!

I thought the park closed at 8pm? No lights to see lack of security which is a concern for anyone especially when it gets dark so quickly this time of year.

Sad behaviour by such cowards and I hope they find this person quickly and it doesn’t happen again!!

anon5422159
30 Sep '20

Or you could think about it another way. The more precise the description, the fewer people residents will be wary of.

clausy
30 Sep '20

Well I think we agree then? Simply having for example ‘white middle aged, fairly tall wearing dark clothes’ doesn’t narrow it down enough for anyone to begin to be ‘wary’. A police photofit on the other hand would be relevant to share.

LukeSlatford
30 Sep '20

spot on.

Nadia
30 Sep '20

Totally agree. If I hear someone has been assaulted in a particular area I will certainly be more vigilant in that area (or generally really). But unless I have a proper photo to alert me, I will not be looking everyone up and down and wondering if they may be the person I should avoid. I will just be careful full stop in the area.