Dartmouth Road Closure [Now Open]

dartmouth-rd

Thanks for the update Pauline.

I notice there’s some tarmacing machinary starting to gather at the bottom end of Thorpeward Avenue - hopefullythis is the signs of the beginning of the end :crossed_fingers:

:crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

There is some serious shrub and plant planting going on in the big circles outside the job centre…looking good.

L O L - I love that picture!

Just walked up dartmouth road to have a look at the works, really like it and will look great once finished

I came down there yesterday on my bike and there still seems a lot to be done.
But at least the tidal flow from the leak near the lights has been stopped…

Likewise - only because I have a pile of books to drop off at the second hand book store and wouldn’t mind getting them out of my flat and in there! :0)

Any movement on the reopening? TfL said the work would be finished by Saturday when I asked about the diverting of the buses.

If you come in form the Kirkdale end you can get almost as far as the Sylvan Post.
I dropped loads of books off at Leaf and Groove a week or so ago…

As far as I know & please don’t quote me, the Tarmac will be laid next Thursday and Friday & D Rd will be open this next coming Saturday!

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE SUPPORT THE LOCAL TRADERS ON D RD DURING THIS AS ONE HAS CLOSED AND ANOTHER FEW ARE SAYING THEY MIGHT HAVE TOO.

WAS A SHOCK TO SEE BB & FRIENDS EMPTY ON A SUNDAY MORNING & TO KNOW SOME FELLOW TRADERS ARE HAVING TO SEND STAFF HOME.

THE TRADE HAS DWINDLED CONSISTANTLY EVERY WEEK THE ROAD IS CLOSED TO THE POINT OF HAVING HARDLY ANY CUSTOMERS NOW!

Personally I have read 3 books this week due to not having many customers, it’s really disheartening & I’m worried if this goes on much longer we won’t have many shops left on D Rd.

So please support the shops & businesses on D Rd while this continues if you want to keep them. Thanks :+1:

Thanks for popping by today @armadillo was lovely that Josh came to spend his pocket money he made me smile :slight_smile:

Sounds like the local trade has taken a real beating over the past months, which is terrible, given the hard work so many local traders put in to establish and maintain some great businesses.

As a side, maybe this put the reality of pedestrianisation into perspective.

Really hope the road is opened again soon and normality returns for the businesses. Hope there is some way of claiming some sort of compensation for the extended loss of trade due to the over running.

Sadly there is no compensation::frowning:

That’s not on! Especially given how long things seem to have over run. Or maybe it just seems like a lifetime.

Who has closed? I saw @Anotherjohn mention that a business was closing.

I understand further problems are being caused by the proposed closure of the banks, which are used by local shops.
There is rubbish strewn behind Dartmouth Rd in places and some missed collections from bins. I have reported these this morning.

Margot

The “compensation” surely will be the greatly improved public realm which will no doubt make the street far more attractive to shoppers than it was previously.
I’ve been walking down the road for the first time in a while yesterday and was amazed by what I saw. In particular what looks like new greenery, the choice of quality materials (compare that to the cheap new concrete paving on Lordship Lane) and the general attention to detail will make it look far more inviting - even once car traffic has returned. It still won’t win any prizes for urban design but it looks far better than one could have hoped for.

What may have helped is a big sign at the beginning of the road saying that shops are still open, although yesterday many weren’t and it was very quiet in general, but then the trains weren’t running so that may have added to it.

Signs like these?

This is an update I received. Like many residents and businesses I am deeply frustrated at how long a week is, but I guess it will be worth the wait in the end.

I’ve just returned from a site visit to check progress. The primary cause of delay has been getting utilities companies on site to carry out necessary works. The most serious delay has been caused by Thames Water who took 8 weeks to repair a water leak reported in mid February and it has not been possible to progress the work near the junction with the A205 until the repair was complete. The reported leak coincided with the cold snap and I assume that Thames Water has been under unusually high pressure to repair leaks since then.

UK Power Networks were also causing delays to the work opposite Paddy Power but this has now been completed and works in the area to install gulleys has now completed. BT have advised lately of some of their future needs and this has been integrated into the scheme and is being completed at the moment to prevent damage to the scheme following completion.

All this utility work needed completing before the carriageway could be resurfaced and this resurfacing is now scheduled to take place from Mon 16th – Weds 18th with the road reopen from Thursday the 19th April. I am told there is now nothing outstanding that could get in the way of these dates. There’s a bit of paving to be completed in the main stretch of the high street but this is now coming on quickly and should be finished soon. The reinstatement of the works storage area outside Forest Lodge will be the last area to complete and the current estimated completion point is mid May.

I will ask Kier to clear the high street of their clutter as they complete each area so that the return towards normality is noticeable, even if the works are not totally complete.