Archived on 6/5/2022

Dartmouth Road Event Saturday 10th March - Updates

Pauline
11 Oct '17

Hi All

After a brief meeting with @emmad of @GemsPerformingArts today we have decided to concentrate on coordinating a massive weekend event on the last weekend of the Road closure on D Rd.

We are having a meeting on Friday to go over a basic programme & we will then contact traders & post on here to see who else wants to get involved, either by helping us, joining in or creating other events on this weekend.

Our basic idea is that the Saturday will be for all - adults, families etc & we want to create one hell of a street party - with an area for performances, DJ’s, music acts etc. So if any budding musicians want to perform do get in touch.
The Sunday will be dedicated to kids, so will be lots of family fun here.

Rather than spliting the events over a 6 week period, this will create lots more going on over one weekend - Plus it will be a celebration of the new D Rd which will be completely finished and open for all to enjoy the day after.

This has come about as the final weekend of D Rd being closed will mean most of the Road will be closed to vehicles though not people having fun so that the tarmac can have a bit more of a rest before vehicles drive on it from the Monday.

The date is probably going to be the last weekend in Feb, first week in March - though I’ll have the exact date by the end of this year.

We’ll post our first schedule over the next few days & all are more than welcome to suggest, add, or get involved.

Should be fun :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Clair
11 Oct '17

Sounds like busy times @Pauline @GemsPerformingArts with multiples going on. A real weekend bonanza! On Dartmouth Road. Will there be a no heels :high_heel: on the Tarmac?
Look forward to updates!
Thinking …

Pauline
11 Oct '17

Would be great to have a “Maths Mad” workshop on the kids day if you’re up for it :+1:

wattsicle
13 Oct '17

Brilliantly demonstrating why Dartmouth Road has been included in this list - weekend festival sound sheet great, thank you!

Pauline
13 Oct '17

Thanks for your post, very much appreciated.

After our meeting this evening, anyone care to help with the following for the overall event initially:

Here’s our first call out.

" Dartmouth Road will be closing for refurbishment for one weekend over march so we are taking this opportunity to create a special event for Forest Hill! We want to host a 2 day street party on the Saturday and Sunday (exact dates TBD) and we want all the local community to get involved. We are calling all local creatives and businesses to join us on Thursday 26th October for an initial meeting to discuss ideas for the event . Would you like to run a workshop? Promote your business ? Are you a musician or performer?

In particular we are looking for locals to help with:

• Designing a flyer / poster
  • Helping to market the event
  • Volunteers to help on the day
  • Sound technicians to help with the live music etc

Any local businesses please do get in touch whether it is to run a free workshop or have a stall.
We want to create a fantastic street party that everyone in Forest Hill can enjoy on this very rare occasion!

Pauline & Em

Pauline
14 Oct '17

Facebook page has now been created.

InTheNightGarden
15 Oct '17

How long will Dartmouth Road be closed for?

anon5422159
15 Oct '17

@InTheNightGarden - related topic: Dartmouth Road Reconfiguration

Pauline
15 Oct '17

Sections will be closed during 5 of the last six weeks of the works, though it will only be the last week the whole/most of the Rd will be closed to traffic - the Rd will never be closed to pedestrians at any time :slight_smile:

Robert_Smith
16 Oct '17

I am a local pro DJ that has a small P.A system I store at the Bird in Hand pub. Id love to set up and play some music somewhere on the street.
:blush::blush::blush:

Pauline
16 Oct '17

Brilliant, hope to see you at our next meeting Thursday week (26th October) venue TBC :slight_smile:

Robert_Smith
17 Oct '17

Excellent.
I’ll be there.
Robert

Pauline
20 Oct '17

Our next meeting will be:

• 7pm
  • Next Thursday 26th October
  • @AllInnOne

All are more than welcome to join us if you want to be involved in anyway.

We hope to see some of you there.

Pauline & @emmad

Robert_Smith
21 Oct '17

Hi.
Excellent.
I will be there to discuss providing some musical entertainment.
Regards.
Robert Smith

Hoarsewhisperer
21 Oct '17

It would be great to get some of the local amazing foodies with stalls or at the very least encouraging people to eat in their restaurants!

Pauline
21 Oct '17

I agree, though you need to apply & pay for a license if you have more than a few stalls - I will be looking into this if we get some funding, though at the same time I would only encourage extra food stalls that won’t compete with existing food traders that have shops/businesses on D Rd.

Existing shops/businesses pay rent, business rates etc day in day out & some are suffering financially due to the works going on. I think they all deserve to get the extra business to try & pull back income they may have lost due to the works over a long period of time.

Satchers
22 Oct '17

What is the actual planned date of the event @Pauline? I can’t see it on this page or on the Facebook page and it would be good to start getting publicity out for it. Sorry but I have no I idea when the works are supposed to be ending but I have no idea when the last weekend of the road closure will be!!

Pauline
22 Oct '17

At present it is the first weekend in March, but I will know exactly by the end of this year :slight_smile:

Satchers
22 Oct '17

Perfect. So plenty of time to plan and early in Spring!

Pauline
24 Oct '17

Some good news re funding for this at a LC assembly coordinating meeting I attended tonight :slight_smile:

We have been awarded £1250 from Lewisham Council Assembly funding which will cover the cost of the marquee & stage set up for the entertainment.

@Michael was also at the meeting & we will work with FH Society on this event to make it the best we possibly can.

So now we only have to raise £500-£1000 to be able to pay for what is needed to make this amazing

The more hands we have on deck to help in anyway the better, so a reminder of our next meeting is:

• 7pm
  • This Thursday 26th October
    @AllInnOne

Hope some of you can make it,

Pauline
25 Oct '17

Even more potentially good news re funding today!

I had a chat with Curtis (the chap that’s overseeing the D Rd Improvements) today & he will be asking Kier (The construction company carrying out the works) to fund the remaining amount needed for the overall events - he sees no reason why they shouldn’t as they’ve done this for other areas when requested :slight_smile:

So it’s looking like we’ll have all funding needed in place thanks to Curtis, Lewisham Council Assembly Funding, and @Michael Forest Hill Society :+1:

It would be great to have a few more hands on deck to help us organise the events, so hopefully we’ll see a few new faces at the meeting tomorrow evening :slight_smile:

Clair
27 Oct '17

Excellent News!! Good Job👍

Pauline
27 Oct '17

Thank you :slight_smile:

SEE3 have also been in contact today to offer help.

Pop by for a chat soon :+1:

Pauline
4 Feb '18

This is still going ahead & the final date is Saturday March 10th.

Sorry I’ve not posted any updates recently as I only got the final date confirmed last week & am mega busy getting everything put in place.

Massive thanks to @Michael & @GemsPerformingArts for working on this with me.

And another massive thanks to @HornimanMuseum for working with us to bring the Saturday Farmers Market to D Rd for the day.

Lots will be going on, and I’ll post more soon.

In the meantime if anyone is up on graphic design & would like to help design flyers/posters please let me know, think that’s the last thing I need help with.

Also would this be a good day to either start or finish the FH Mural @Lionel & @anon5422159 so something could be incorporated within the advertising of the event :slight_smile:

Anotherjohn
4 Feb '18

Getting Horniman’s Saturday Farmers Market down to Dartmouth Road for the day is a massive coup and a great one-off opportunity for the shopkeepers to sell themselves to a wider captive audience.

Again, effective promotion of our two 2 hrs FREE car parks will help to demonstrate to visitors how easy it is for them to come to the town and have a leisurely browse around the shops and stop for a bite to eat, a coffee, pedicure or even a perm - okay, that was a bit 80s so let’s say a set of highlights.

Pauline
17 Feb '18

Check out our event and please tag as coming if you are friends with myself or Michael on Facebook.

I’ve done this one

And @Michael has done this one

https://www.facebook.com/events/1120726341397504/

It’s been a busy time for us but we are almost done with our preparations WOOHOO!

And I get to choose the bouncy castle :slight_smile:

We should be done with our final arrangements by Monday.

Phew!

Nice teamwork @Michael :raised_hands::raised_hands::raised_hands:

ollyz
18 Feb '18

I’m a graphic / animator designer. Let me know if you still need someone to design a poster.

Will pop into Sugar Mountain on Monday with Cherie to have a chat about doing a stall / kids crafts.

Olly

Pauline
18 Feb '18

Make it Tuesday as Monday is my day off - I should be finalising everything tomorrow.

Email me sugarmountain.info@gmail.com

Thanks so much.

P :slight_smile:

Clair
19 Feb '18

Hi Pauline,
Glad to see all going ahead! couple of locals said it had been cancelled.
Can you only get info on facebook?
Clair :lollipop::wink:

Pauline
19 Feb '18

Sorry Claire I will get info out as much as I can, please spread the word!

And see FB pagess above x

Pauline
20 Feb '18

This is not an easy job for me and.@Michael we have a lot to do with various others & have had a lot of applications etc to apply for.

In a nutshell we are bloody busy right now…

But it will be worth it :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Anotherjohn
20 Feb '18

GREAT WORK, MUCH APPRECIATED!

In my opinion though, the Dartmouth Road Street Market and Party promotional ‘flyer’ shown on another thread needs to state in big letters 2 HOURS FREE PARKING IN PERRY VALE AND SAINSBURYS CAR PARKS so that people who’ve been aware of the road and traffic mahem don’t rule-out this great event as being inaccessible.

Pauline
20 Feb '18

Here’s the final listings for the FREE workshops & activities at the marquee & stage area :hugs::hugs:

Marquee Events

Twist Studios Personal Training
12pm -12.30pm : Happy HIIT
12.30pm - 1pm : Funky Fitness
1pm - 1.30pm : Bootcamp Bounce
1.30pm - 2pm : Total Twist (Competitions)

Kids and adults of all ages and abilities welcome. Bringing the fun into fitness. Top Personal Trainers in London “The Evening Standard”

Gems Performing Arts
2pm - 3pm : Kids Street Dance Workshop and Parformance
3pm onwards : Karaoke Time

Gems PA is a local Kids Performing Arts Company based in Forest Hill & Sydenham

Pauline
20 Feb '18

Our local FH Fire Fighters will be joining us with Fire Engine aswell as Lewisham’s Police Horses. Emergencies permitting!

Also @SgtBiddle team will have a stall on the day to chat about crime prevention & to meet the locals they haven’t already :slight_smile:

Michael
21 Feb '18

We are looking for some additional volunteers to help run this event. A small amount of help for this type of event can make it much more successful and makes sure everybody has a great time.

Duties include supervising the bouncy castle for part of the day, helping set up and take down some of the equipment from 8:30am - 10am and from 5pm-6pm, and general stewarding for part of the day. There is very little to learn, just a willingness to help out.

I also need one or two individuals with vans or estate cars, who would be able to help transport tables a small distance at set up and take down. It doesn’t take long - if we have large vehicles.

If you can offer please send me a message @michael or michael@fhsoc.com

Anotherjohn
21 Feb '18

What times will transport be needed - and from where to where?
I’ve got a van and might be able to do some moving but I help my son in his shop on Saturdays and Sundays so it might need a bit of juggling.
If it turns out that I can’t help personally, I’ll put up for a man-and-a-van if you don’t find another volunteer driver.

anon5422159
21 Feb '18

Good man, @Anotherjohn :+1:

Anotherjohn
21 Feb '18

Hold on a minute!

There are so many people who give up so much of their time to help out around here; and this is minuscule (but nice of you to say so anyway).

anon5422159
21 Feb '18

Few as prolifically as you (and @Michael and @Pauline):

https://se23.life/badges/102/community-spirit?username=anotherjohn

Pauline
21 Feb '18

Mr, from Holy Trinity Church just up the Road to D Rd, but if you have a couple of fold up tables you can drop them to me anytime on the Friday for the following morning as I need an extra one for @SgtBiddle team without them having to worry about it.

You contribute so much & never take the praise you deserve - just take it you do so much - gonna get told off now ain’t I :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Anyway can you keep your generator in your van JUST incase we need backup on power & a karaoke machine.

Got it covered but I know you have back up on both.

I won’t tell anyone you are amazing singing on the karaoke, pinky promise. Damn I’ve just told everyone now :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: X

Doh I’m in trouble now :joy::joy:

Michael
21 Feb '18

I think I’ve got an offer of an estate car for moving stuff.

With the police horses present there is an opportunity for keen gardeners to collect manure and take it away. So basically, if anybody would like to shovel shit please let me know!

Pauline
22 Feb '18

Our bouncy castle has been booked!

WOOHOO it’s for adults too so I can have a go on it & @Michael too :hugs::hugs:

@Michael booked this today & I booked the Marquee, stage, etc today

We’ve almost done our busy work now, time to enjoy it on the day!

We will still be busy on the day, but can enjoy it with everyone else now most of our work is done.

Really looking forward to it now :slight_smile:

RachaelDunlop
23 Feb '18

Incredible job, this looks like it’s going to be an amazing event. :clap::clap::clap:

Pauline
23 Feb '18

@MayaOnyett has now sent the flyers off for printing!

Massive thanks to Forest Hill Ward Assembly & Forest Hill Society for funding this event :slight_smile:

imagegif

Pauline
26 Feb '18

Here’s the double sided flyers!

Please feel free to share :slight_smile:

Anotherjohn
26 Feb '18

Yeah, LEAVE YOUR CAR IN ONE OF OUR TWO 2hrs FREE TOWN CENTRE CAR PARKS WHILE YOU JOIN THE PARTY BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

Councillor Maja Hilton worked her butt of to get Lewisham Council to give us free parking - only for us to make it the town’s best kept secret?!?!?

I DESPAIR!

Pauline
26 Feb '18

I didn’t design the flyers, neither did @michael

We were both too busy organising the event, and it wasn’t easy in a short space of time.

If I could, I would have added this, but probably not enough space.

LC done the flyer, not me or @michael we just organised it.

Anotherjohn
27 Feb '18

I would appreciate it if someone could let me know who in LC wrote this and I will tell them in no uncertain terms about what is probably Forest Hill town centre’s main drawback for attracting (and keeping) good businesses and the resulting customers - THE PERCEIVED LACK OF PARKING.

In promoting this event to thousands of people many of whom might want to come in from surrounding areas but are well aware of how difficult it is to park on our main streets, so the mention of our special car parking arrangements could, and probably would, make some of them think again and turn up on the day and, who knows, a small proportion of them might even turn out to benefit local traders by being regular visitors to the town.

Anotherjohn
28 Feb '18

And the culprit in LC is…
The suspense is killing me.
More importantly, meanwhile, shops in Dartmouth Road continue to suffer.

Pauline
28 Feb '18

Me & Michael are just trying to get the info out & just sending what we have on events etc.

I didn’t add the parking when I sent the event info.

This was almost cancelled last night/today.

But me and Michael trudged up and down D Rd tonight to make it still happen regardless.

So the layout will be a bit different but all will still go ahead thankfully!

We have to track all changes with safety issues etc.

And also work with others to agree on this, it’s not easy, but we’ve done it to adapt and confirm again.

So all is going ahead!

Pauline
1 Mar '18

@michael has added the free parking in the FH Society newsletter & I’ve updated the Facebook page to add it :+1:

Anotherjohn
1 Mar '18

The usual levels of effort & tenacity from you and Michael were never in doubt here.

In the scheme of things my issue was only a very minor detail so thank you for indulging me by adding it to your publicity.

Also, thank you and Michael especially; and to everyone else who’s worked on organising this event.

Pauline
4 Mar '18

If anyone needs to drive to our Street Party, there’s FREE parking at Perryvale Car Park for 2 hours & Sainsburys too!

So no need to not pop by this Saturday 10th & join the fun :hugs::hugs:

Anotherjohn
5 Mar '18

Ha!

Thank you!

Pauline
5 Mar '18

The word is spreading, keep it up guys!

Just from my Twitter feed :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs:

InTheNightGarden
5 Mar '18

Is it still going ahead now the roadworks are a week behind?

Michael
6 Mar '18

We are going ahead. The roadworks will not be completed, but we have plenty of space for a street party.
I look forward to meeting lots of forum people on the day.

Pauline
6 Mar '18

YES, ALL INFO HERE!

ClaptonCraft
7 Mar '18

Hey there all,

I’m hoping someone might be able to lend me a hand with moving a few heavy bits from our store on Perry Vale to the Dartmouth Street Market Saturday morning (preferably a stall trader as it’ll be an 8:30am set-up). If anyone had a car or small van then even better otherwise they’ll be a little back and forth with kegs (two 30L) plus the dispense equipment needed, cans and a gazebo.

I’ll happily trade beer for the help.

Cheers,

Ben - Clapton Craft Forest Hill

Foresthillnick
7 Mar '18

Ben
I might be able to help - I have a SAAB estate thing. If you don’t get a stall holder to help then count me in.
That is if I don’t buy too many beers from you on Friday!!! :wink:

ClaptonCraft
7 Mar '18

Hi Nick,

That’s very kind of you of you to offer, thank you. I’ll keep you in the loop if anything changes, but if you do happen to pop-in Friday night then I’ll be able to show you what is that’ll I’ll need help moving and how much of it there is.

Thanks again,

Ben

Pauline
7 Mar '18

Except Perryvale and Sainsburys car park for 2 hours FREE

AWESOME!

Pauline
8 Mar '18

Have to say on this thread I couldn’t have done this without @michael helping me out.

We work so well together & he always keeps me in check.

I think we make an an amazing team even though we are so different in our personalities.

High five @Michael

Job well done mate xx

Michael
9 Mar '18

See you all tomorrow on Dartmouth Road.

:european_castle: Any adults wishing to “test out” the bouncy castle should arrive before 10am :european_castle:

anon5422159
9 Mar '18

Looks like the rain will hold off for most of the day :crossed_fingers:

Michael
9 Mar '18

That was the hardest part to organise.
No rain and probably the warmest day of the year so far!

starman
9 Mar '18

I’ll wear my shorts. Bring your sunglasses.

Pauline
9 Mar '18

The lovely Zoe from @TheArchieParker will be putting out FREE sandwiches & crisps for the kids (no stealing big kids it sets a bad example :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) between 12noon & 2pm :tada:

Edd from Holy trinity church will be giving out 200 FREE helium balloons between 12noon & 2pm (I’m looking after the helium but I won’t have a squeaky voice tomorrow, pinky promise :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) :tada:

And a lovely local Emma from Derby Hill has gave me a lot of kids gifts to hand out too & I’ll have some FREE sweets on the counter for adults & kids too :tada:

Oh, and guess I’ll have to test out the bouncy castle just to make sure it’s safe for everyone :hugs::hugs:

Anotherjohn
9 Mar '18

What’s the position with moving stuff?
I’ll be dropping off my old generator for 9-ish but what about those tables?
And did the craft beer shop manage to get someone for their bits?

Michael
9 Mar '18

We have a car for the tables, don’t know about the beer - that’s a question for @ClaptonCraft

I’ll be on the street from about 8am
Popping down around 9pm this evening to start placing barriers to prevent parking. Anybody can join me if you wish.

Pauline
9 Mar '18

I’ll be there from 8am tomorrow.

Signs went up yesterday, so anyone parking from then should get a ticket & move by tomorrow morning.

Pauline
9 Mar '18

Curtis is doing this first thing tomorrow, but I’ll be there in 5 mins now xx

Pauline
9 Mar '18

Soaking wet, but think we are done except a few cars.

High five again xx

ClaptonCraft
10 Mar '18

Hi Michael and @Anotherjohn,

We sure did, @Foresthillnick has been kind enough to lend a hand moving bits and pieces from the shop.

See you all soon, can’t wait!

Ben

Foresthillnick
10 Mar '18

Looking good down there this morning and @Pauline is busy pointing and organising and I am sure @Michael was around as well. Looks very well organised IMHO and there are still quite a few workmen around sorting things out too…
@ClaptonCraft is getting setup in among a couple of food stalls and the bouncy castle and staging was being laid out as I left - so it looks like all our needs are catered for!
Amazing work by the usual suspects here so I encourage everyone to get down there today and enjoy yourselves…

anon5422159
10 Mar '18

Sad not to be able to make it today :cry:

If anyone gets good photos, please share them on the forum

robin.orton
10 Mar '18

We’ve just been down. Lots of people there, everything going swimmingly. @Michael told me that there’s been problems with the electricity, but that he and @Pauline had got it all sorted with their usual efficiency. Big queue for Breakfast Burgers, so had to give up, unfortunately @ClaptonCraft beer stall looked incredibly tempting - pity it’s Lent! .

starman
10 Mar '18

Breakfast burger was amazing. You missed out.

BirdinHand
10 Mar '18

Good to see this going ahead. Great effort by everyone and well worth a visit. Weather mercifully seemed to have held off. Also really pleaed to have discovered Pizza Napoli where we indulged ourselves with a very large and delicious Tandoori Pizza. Run by a lovely couple too!

InTheNightGarden
10 Mar '18

The bouncy castle was a complete hit with the local kids. Very nice to meet some people from Forest Hill Society. Breakfast Burger had an entirely appetising smell, but the prices were outrageous. Over £10 for cheeseburger and chips. Take yourself to the Dartmouth Arms. They do a fabulous burger in a bun with chips and pickles for £12.50! Well done to everyone who had a hand in organising the event!

InTheNightGarden
10 Mar '18

Or the Sylvan Post, who do a fab menu! They do a fab gammon chop and mash for £9. I can highly recommend that!

Dave
10 Mar '18

Thanks very much to everyone who helped organise - we had a lovely brunch at the Archie Parker and my daughter very much enjoyed the bouncy castle.

InTheNightGarden
10 Mar '18

Would have been nice to ask if it was ok to put my photos on the Facebook page…

anon5422159
10 Mar '18

Apologies - that was presumptuous of me. I’ll remove them straight away if you’d prefer.

InTheNightGarden
10 Mar '18

Please leave them on there, as a testament to those who have worked very hard. It was just a bit of a surprise to see that my pictures has been copied.

Michael
10 Mar '18

Thanks to all the traders, volunteers, local shops, Ward assembly, Horniman market, lewisham markets, holy trinty church, Twist Studio, Little Gems, john ward, Curtis and the team from kier, and the weather.

And thanks to everybody who came along and provided a huge boost to all the shops on Dartmouth Road. @Pauline was so busy she didn’t actually step out of the shop between 10am and 5pm, so missed the whole party.

The road should reopen in two weeks but they will keep working on the final pieces.

Pauline
10 Mar '18

Was a Hugh success, so massive thanks to everyone that came :slight_smile:

I was paying kids in sweets to run up to check everything was running to plan at the marquee for me, so they were my little assistants today & of course I knew I could count on @Michael to make me aware if there were any hiccups there.

Many traders on D Rd had the best day in takings in a long time, so it’s gave everyone a nice boost which is great.

And most importantly everyone seemed to be having fun :tada::tada:

I’m exhausted so am off to @TheArchieParker for chilli (they have meat or veggie) & a glass of wine as they are open till 10.30 tonight and also have craft beer & gin options from @FHGinClub :ok_hand::ok_hand:

Pauline
10 Mar '18

That chilli was bloody lovely, I had mine to take home with avocado, extra cheese & nachos.

Had a glass of wine with the lovely Zoe while I was there & now completely chillaxed after devouring lovely food at home in my PJ’s :ok_hand::ok_hand:

Chipcity
10 Mar '18

Thanks to everyone involved and the street dance and the bouncy castle went down well…interesting to know if you had any stock left by the end of the day and you must have set a record of the number of jars opened in a single day - impressive…

Lollyandwotsit
11 Mar '18

Some great photos !

Pauline
11 Mar '18

My wrists, elbows, and knees were tired today as they had a good workout yesterday :slight_smile:

I was open for Mothers Day today & was fully stocked.

Now having a rest as its my day off tomorrow :+1::+1:

Ryan
12 Mar '18

Great show guys!

Thanks for the invite. We had lots of interest in our campervan and it was great to meet so many locals!

Ryan @ Campervantastic.

Pauline
14 Mar '18

Another event?

InTheNightGarden
15 Mar '18

Would the bouncy castle fit in the paved outside area at the swimming pool? That would be great in the summer! Or maybe in Dartmouth Road over the Easter holidays, as I shouldn’t imagine the road will be ready by then…

Pauline
16 Mar '18

I’ll look into this next week, fab suggestion :slight_smile: