Archived on 6/5/2022

Decking recommendations

starman
5 Apr '18

We want to replace our decking with new decking. Any recommendations for a local installer?

DevonishForester
15 Jul '19

HI Starman

Did you move ahead with your decking replacement? Any lessons/recommendations for anyone thinking of replacing?

starman
16 Jul '19

Hey DV. We did go ahead with this project.

In the end we decided to replace the real wood deck with a composite deck. I can’t recall the brand right now but will post when I can find it. We looked at a lot different types. This was one of the cheaper ones, quite lightweight and came recommended by our gardener. There were also different colours and our new deck is slate grey and looks very much like wood. But will last 15 years at least.

We used R&S Gardens. We were absolutely thrilled with their work. The attention to detail was outstanding and we could not be more happy with the result. Very competitive to other bids. And they are local.

Foresthillnick
16 Jul '19

I’ve been looking at composite but it seems really expensive compared to wood.
Is it worth the extra cost involved - Got a pic?
I would ideally like something that would take the potential damage a BBQ would deal out - is it heat proof?
Thanks for the recommendation btw!

starman
16 Jul '19

Some of it was outrageously expensive and only available by using the manufacturers installer. Ours was much cheaper and very robust. And competitive to wood.

I’ll try and find the brand name but here are a couple of pics the OH took during install.

Foresthillnick
17 Jul '19

Cheers @starman that looks nice. If you do find the brand then do holler as most I find comes out very pricey!

starman
17 Jul '19

Found them. It was these guys.

Our gardener had chosen this for himself. I now have a large ceramic bbq sitting on it without issue. While we chose the material. The installer did all the measuring and purchase. If you’d like to have a look let me know.

Foresthillnick
17 Jul '19

Great - That’s really helpful.
My garden is in a state after 5 years of keeping chickens and the patio area seems the best place to start.

Bolgerp
17 Jul '19

If I remember correctly the quotes we got for wooden decking weren’t that much cheaper than the composite. And the guys who did the installation were superb.

ThorNogson
7 Apr '22

looking at decking options and found this thread - Ecoscape looks good, has your decking weathered well, is it still non slip, any other observations a few years on from installation?

starman
8 Apr '22

Extremely well… in fact it looks almost as good as the day it was installed. No breakage. No warping 'cause it doesn’t. And the colour is still very strong. We simply need to power wash it in the spring to get rid of the dirt and some of the moss that adheres to it over the winter.

One word of warning. We went for a dark charcoal colour which does show the dirt really quick. But otherwise, we’d never go back to a sold wood deck.

If you want to drop by for a look you are more than welcome.