Development of London

On a rather epic proportion I must say.
Over development, or just responding to the need, that is the biggest question here.

Certainly space for some of this without a doubt. And providing homes is a good thing. But are they the right sort of homes I wonder.

Amazing and eye watering visuals of the planned builds.

Over development for sure. This will change the nature of the West End massively and not for the better I feel.

I have to say some of the developments have been truly stunning over the past 10 years, Battersea is quite incredible, but for the wrong markets sadly. But then I guess when an area has such a high price tag, that’s what happens.

I agree though, there are some areas which can survive heavy, well considered development, then there are others which are a little too fragile to remain in tact after such builds.

Interesting object in the middle of this graphic, cylindrical. I wonder what that is lol

There’s a political element to this discussion, and many similar discussions in our “General Politics” category.

:information_source: Verified members - if you’d like to join our lively political discussions on SE23.life, please join our “General Politics” group.

Advance warning - any replies here of a political nature will be moved to the discussion in General Politics.

Note - comments on the “right” and “wrong” type of housing are political in nature.

This was produced by the NLA, so is demonstrating critical mass/aspiration rather than schemes with planning consent.

It’s worth taking a walk around Canary Wharf/South Quay/Crossharbour and see first hand the amount of development going up. £780,000 for a studio!

These reports are a great read. This year you have to either pay (Amazon) for a hard copy or subscribe (for free) for a free download.

Leon is right. The report includes buildings in both pre-planning and planning. A significant number have received permission but there are still a lot of hoops to jump through before beginning construction, financing being a fairly major obstacle. Regardless, there will be a lot of tall buildings and the skyline of London will change.

Weirdly the West End is the one area that won’t change as there is a height restriction on new construction. Centrepoint is in itself an aberration. A lot of the new buildings are concentrated in East London particularly in Wood Wharf, Greenwich Peninsula and Stratford. Central development is focused around Kings Cross, Battersea/Nine Elms and Paddington.

By the way, if anyone wants to see a great 3D model of what London will look like with all this development check out the New London Model at the Building Centre by Tottenham Court Road.

Yes but the skyline itself is not protected AIUI. Certain views are:
http://whc.unesco.org/en/decisions/1920

There may be more up to date guidance and would love to see an update if you know of one.

Its a good point. I was at the launch of the Tall Building Study last year and view corridors were discussed. While I think these are strongly reinforced, there was some discussion on general loss of views of the historic city.

I recall that the final design of the Leadenhall Building (Cheesegrater) and 20 Fenchurch Street (Walkie Talkie) was determined to preserve the view corridor to St. Paul’s.