Dodgy £50 note scammer

For all local businesses there is a man with a london accent, short light coloured hair giving fake Scottish £50s - very chatty, tips & the hands you a fake 50£ for an item that costs £2.50 & is walking away with quite the windfall.

Take extra care

I’m very sure he has an accomplice too, but for the life of me I can’t remember what he looks like. This is when we first opened way back in March and this same guy was flagged by the bank.

I don’t know if the notes have changed since then, but he uses highlighter pen to imitate the silver strips.

It’s so brazen & im so upset about it. Just don’t want anyone else to make the same mistake we did! So keep an eye out for this one! And yea he’s sort of unremarkable so it’s difficult to describe what he looks like… and the fact he TIPPED too!

When someone hands you a fifty don’t you check it? :roll_eyes:

Sorry to hear you’ve been ripped off like this, Sian :frowning:

Do you have an image of this chap from CCTV?

Sorry to hear that Sian xx

He sounds like the guy that done it to me a while back, and he even came back about a month later to try it again - second time I told him I don’t take £50 notes as someone gave me a fake one before & added “and it was you” he left sharpish & I’ve never seen him again!

So do be careful incase he comes back x

We won’t be taking 50s from now on

No im afraid not - I’d regonise him tho

I only take £50 notes from regular customers I know after my experience.

Hope you have a busy weekend to make up for it Sian.

See you soon xx

BTW What time do you open tomorrow, if by 9 I’ll pop down for the best bacon sarnie in FH after I open the library at 9. I can enjoy it at home before I open the shop at 10, hope to see you then xx

We open 9 - thanks Pauline busy weekend to you too! #no50s

See you around 9.20/30 then tomorrow xx

Scottish bank notes aren’t legal tender in England, so you’re well within your rights to refuse them if you are in any doubt about their validity.

A shop is not obliged to take any bank note - legal tender or not. Although it might the impact your profitability a little :wink:

Reminder to local shops: