Archived on 6/5/2022

Dog incident in Horniman Gardens

Merpington_mum
23 Aug '20

I’d just lay down on my side to enjoy a peaceful couple of hours in Horniman Gardens yesterday afternoon when, out of my sight, a dog came crashing into my head, causing my neck to bend sideways swiftly and a subsequent afternoon in a & e with minor head injury!

The owners, sitting on camping chairs slightly up the hill from me clearly saw as they immediately put their dog on a lead. I was so dazed and sat there holding my head and crying by myself and when I looked up a couple of minutes later they had packed up and left.

Aside from the headaches and stiff neck, time in hospital, and slight embarrassment of getting concussion from a dog, it’s quite upsetting that the owners just seemingly legged it. I was alone, and I am pregnant, so it’s all just left me a bit shaken.

I don’t suppose anyone here was there (about 1.15) and saw whether the owners did in fact leave intentionally after seeing what happened, or maybe not…? (so my faith in humanity can remain in tact, or maybe not).

Hollow
23 Aug '20

Some people are just selfish scum. Not much you can do about it unfortunately. Seems extremely unlucky hope you’re feeling better.

HannahM
23 Aug '20

May be speak to staff at the Horniman. It’s not really on for people to allow their dogs to run free in a family space. The gardens aren’t a dog exercise area, there are plenty of more suitable spaces for that.

I hope you recover soon.

Merpington_mum
23 Aug '20

Thanks both. I have still have headaches this morning but thankfully my neck is feeling a bit better.

Sorry I was referring to the gardens as in the whole place - to be clear it was on the big grassy bit (I think dogs may be allowed off their lead there?).

Although I was quite near the edge there was lots of empty space in the middle, and I couldn’t say what happened - if a ball was thrown in my direction for example - but it’s more about them just getting up and leaving that was upsetting.

ForestHull
23 Aug '20

Dogs are allowed off their lead in the meadow field, but should be on a lead elsewhere.

DevonishForester
23 Aug '20

"It’s against the law to let a dog be dangerously out of control anywhere, such as:

*** in a public place**

Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

*** injures someone**"

I suggest you make a police report. Sounds like the owners are regulars in the park - (brought chairs with them)

HannahM
23 Aug '20

Indeed. Whether a dog is allowed off a lead in an area is moot, owners have to be able to control their dogs.

I am a dog lover and grew up on a farm with plenty of working and pet dogs. However I am increasingly thinking dog ownership should be reatricted as many people seem unsuited to the responsibility.

Thewrongtrousers
23 Aug '20

You are right, I don’t think people should just be allowed to buy an animal. There seems to be something deeply wrong with it. Also, I think people should not be allowed to have children unless they have passed some basic test of intelligence/competence.

Emak5
23 Aug '20

This is awful @Merpington_mum
So sorry to hear you were hurt.
I agree with @DevonishForester & hope these owners can be identified, sanctioned and fined.
This pair don’t sound like they deserve to have a pet.

robin.orton
23 Aug '20

Eugenics, eh?