Archived on 6/5/2022

Dog Squabble at Honor Oak Sports Field

Thea_Potgieter
21 Apr '18

Hello Everyone

My husband just came back from a walk with our dog at the Honor Oak Sports Field looking very shaken. Apparently our leashed dog pulled free of my husband while he was giving him some water and jumped on a dog that had come up behind him.

The other owner managed to separate them and left very quickly before my husband could apologise or check for injuries.

When my husband described the dog and owner to me it sounded like a a guy and his dog I’d actually met a few weeks ago. Our dogs greeted through a fence and we had a really nice chat. We’d seen each other and waved since then. I believe his name is Matt and his dog is a beautiful big Akita called Riley.

If anyone knows them and can put me in touch with them I’d be ever so grateful. I very much want to apologise and make sure his dog wasn’t injured.

Our dog is terrible with dog greetings, which is why he’s never let off the lead unless it’s in an enclosed area. We’ve done heaps of training over the four years we’ve had him, but he remains jumpy around new dogs especially if they approach him from behind. I suspect that if this was Riley the Akita, it was our dog’s overexcited, impolite attempt at a greeting which went pear-shaped in about 2 seconds.

We feel terrible and would sincerely like to make amends.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Thea Potgieter
Devonshire Road