Archived on 6/5/2022

DRAFT Forest Hill Mural Design - The Vote

SE23.life
13 Dec '17

[DRAFT - visible to @FH_Mural members - feedback welcome before the poll is opened to all members in the main forum]

Forest Hill will soon be sporting a new crowdfunded mural in the railway underpass (details here).

After a call for design submissions, we received a design from @Lionel and also a version of this design tweaked by @Armadillo. There were no more costed submissions received before the deadline.

Check out the options and please vote for your favourite in the poll below.

Option 1: Traditional

Design by @Lionel

Colour variant:

Option 2: Traditional, with a touch of Walrus

A tweak of @Lionel’s design by @armadillo, featuring the famous Horniman walrus

slanted-traditional-with-wulrus-blue

Note: this option adds a further £250 to the cost (extra colours for Walrus and extra marking out time as the horizontal design uses the brickwork for quicker marking out).

Colour variant:

slanted-traditional-with-wulrus-burgandy

Option 3: Traditional, with a touch of Walrus

As per option 2, but with straight sign:

straight-traditional-with-wulrus-blue

Colour variant:

straight-traditional-with-wulrus-burgandy

Place Your Votes!

0 voters

Polling ends on January 1st 2018

We’ll then have a second quick round of voting to choose the colour.

anon5422159
13 Dec '17

The above is a draft - comments welcome, and then we’ll put the final version in the main forum

starman
13 Dec '17

Personally I love option 2. It takes what has become a standard for SE London and gives it a unique Forest Hill twist. I like this one over option 3 as the image of the Walrus carrying the sign away is much more fun.

anon5422159
13 Dec '17

Cool. Any thoughts on the post itself (wording, deadline, options)? I want to make sure it’s reasonable before putting it to the public. Think I might enlarge the images in the poll:

0 voters

starman
13 Dec '17

Ah. I thought this was the public vote. I don’t see an issue on it. You may though want to note that no further submissions were received for designs.

anon5422159
13 Dec '17

Good point. I’ll add this

Wynell
13 Dec '17

I voted for the conventional mural, mainly because the Walrus is too cartoon like, might be better if it was more reslistic? Realise this may increase cost but would make it more of a feature rather than looking like someone has added it as graffiti.

ametzelaar
13 Dec '17

I love all the designs but have voted for the first as I felt it’s the more timeless one.

anon5422159
13 Dec '17

FYI, all - this is a draft, and while you’re welcome to place votes, when the final version is added to the forum, you’ll need to re-register your vote there

armadillo
13 Dec '17

Might be worth noting that I’m not an artist nor very good with photoshop - so my adaption is only a very rough interpretation - i’m sure if it was chosen then @Lionel would do much better job on shading/integrating the Wulrus than I have :hugs:

Other than that, I think it’s good to go.

Dave_Benson
13 Dec '17

If you follow the right hand arrow, surely you end up in Catford.

anon5422159
13 Dec '17

Good point. I’m sure @Lionel would consider reversing the right-most arrow in the final piece

ThorNogson
13 Dec '17

I’ve never liked the ‘Walk this way’ text which also exists on several other S London efforts. Not sure what value it adds.
But love the walrus - it’s fun, and says we are not taking this signage thing too seriously. It will age well, for as long as the Horniman keeps its walrus, and I can’t see that changing. representing the walrus properly is interesting, because of course the actual walrus is quite cartoon like, in that it was stuffed way too full - so that gives the artist some leeway - it does not have to look like a real walrus but needs to look a bit like the Horniman one is what I am saying.

‘waddle this way’?

applespider
13 Dec '17

I love the Walrus version - makes it nicely quirky given that there are a few more standard versions in other places.

Post looks good. Is it worth reminding people which side of bridge it’s on? Left or right side as you go up/down hill

anon5422159
13 Dec '17

Thanks - I have just added a map which can be clicked to expand. There’s also a link to further details.

anon17648011
13 Dec '17

I think Option 3 is perfect. We get the classic sign, which harmonises us with our SE London neighbours, but with the Walrus customisation that gives it our own uniquely Forest Hill touch. Not a fan of slanting the sign in Option 2 - I think it will look strange and I imagine will make the artists life more difficult (and therefore possibly more expensive?).

anon5422159
13 Dec '17

Yes, there is an extra cost for this option:

I’ll mention this in the post.

jonfrewin
13 Dec '17

The only thing with having two walrus options is that it might split the vote for people who prefer something different. By which I mean in a scenario where 100 people vote for option 1, and 99 vote for each of 2 and 3, indicating overwhelming support for a walrus themed sign, should 1 still win?

anon5422159
13 Dec '17

If others agree on this point, I’d be inclined to ask @Lionel to choose one of the walrus options (I feel his opinion is important, as this project reflects on him as a artist and he’ll be doing the hard work).

So:

1. @Lionel chooses a single walrus design (either straight or slanted)
  2. Forum members choose between Option 1 and Lionel’s choice of walrus design
  3. Forum members choose the colour (blue / burgundy).

What do others think?

• Leave three design options in place
  • @Lionel chooses straight or slanted walrus option for design poll
  • @FH_Mural group chooses straight or slanted walrus option for design poll
  • Offer straight/slanted as variants in round 2 of voting (when colour is decided)
  • Other (please comment)
  • Don’t mind

0 voters

starman
13 Dec '17

Excellent point. Perhaps two choices then? For those chosing walrus, they can then chose format?

Ed
13 Dec '17

Are the colour options set in stone? Quite like the idea of an Overground orange option.

Love the walrus idea. Helps differentiate us from the rest of the SE London places that have the same murals.

Michael
13 Dec '17

Green background and orange text, representing the Overground in the Forest.

Here’s what I mean but badly photoshopped:
fd70b2b2bd8926f46a82c8b43d91e724e49760be

Lionel
13 Dec '17

A couple of points from posts above.

I would paint the Walrus as realistic as I can bearing in mind it’s onto brickwork. With some shadow onto the sign.

‘The walk this way’ with two arrows originally came from the Herne Hill Sign as the shops were split either side of the bridge and owners on one particular side felt like they were missing out on footfall/trade. Further signs had parts of the area both sides of the sign so it continued to be asked for.

Finally I like the Walrus design it gives you guys an edge on the other SE Signs but I think then putting the whole sign on the angle is a bit unnecessary. But if it’s what the will of the people vote for I’ll paint it.

Wynell
13 Dec '17

Sounds like a plan straight with better walrus, no arrows not sure about orange text could be improved with white outline/shadow (not sure correct term)

Pauline
13 Dec '17

I like your thinking @Lionel maybe the arrows could be on the right hand side with a right arrow pointing to London Rd (businesses & @HornimanMuseum) an arrow pointing up towards D Rd (businesses, library, pools) left to Perry vale (@AllInnOne @finches etc on Perryvale) and down for Stanstead Road (businesses like @mindbodytherapy etc on Stanstead Road)

Sort of like a North, South, East, West kind of thing. That to me is “Never Eat Shredded Wheat”,which is how I always remembered it as a kid - maybe we could create our own words for N, E, S, W that compliment FH, or maybe my brain is pushing it’s luck & going into overdrive. Though sure I’ll think of something.

Thinking cap is ON!

@Lionel can you pop by my shop soon so we can finalise everything with Ed from Network Rail please.

Thanks, P :slight_smile:

anon51837532
13 Dec '17

Marked this as like.

Should be triple liked.

It is important to recognise Perry Vale and all of its many businesses - established and nascent - amongst others @finches and @AllInnOne - who are a significant and integral part of Forest Hill

anon5422159
13 Dec '17

I knew all the design ideas would start flooding in after the design submission deadline! :wink:

Regarding the arrows, perhaps let’s just keep the left and right on Lionel’s mock-up? (right pointing people toward the entrance to Perry Vale).

Wynell
13 Dec '17

Reminds me of a Camel is a Horse designed by committee :grin:

anon51837532
13 Dec '17

@Wynell I feel should make his mind up.

Introducing camels and horses at this stage - just when people are getting the “Walrus” thing sorted… - well it all adds to the confusion

Until now I have not seen reference to a committee - do we have to apply or are we all co-opted ? .

anon5422159
13 Dec '17

It’s been brought up that @armadillo has been a bit rail-roaded here, and I agreed it’s unfair on him for me to rule out the slanted-sign design, which was his own original and preferred design.

So tomorrow’s poll will be traditional vs. walrus-slanted. The second round poll will choose colour variants and design variants (straight/slanted, if the walrus option is chosen).

Very excited to see what happens when the public votes - think this could be a lively couple of polls!

anon5422159
14 Dec '17

Poll to begin at 8am Friday 14th Dec