E-Scooters. You have been warned, my British Friends

3 Likes

But we already have that - even though they are illegal it doesn’t stop anyone (plus riding bikes on the pavement round here)

4 Likes

True that. Round my way they come at you in groups riding the wrong way down the one way street and look at you as if it is you who is in the wrong.

2 Likes

When we were in Mallorca a few weeks ago we had our first experience of electric scooters. It wasn’t a positive one. Lethal springs to mind.

2 Likes

We have kids down Devonshire Road on these things everyday, they’re either weaving on the road or whizzing on the pavement and when they ask you to move and you gently remind them they’re not meant to use the footpath, they look at you as if you’re an A-Hole (excuse my French). I don’t move anymore for them or people that use the footpath when bike riding. I mostly have my headphones in so pretend I don;t hear them asking me to move!!!

3 Likes

As a side note, I have seen a couple of kids wipe out down our road on them!!! Going too fast over the speed-bumps. Not too sure if these kids know about the laws of physics…I do get concerned for them but once I know they’re OK, I do feel it’s karma!!!

5 Likes

These certainly seem more prevalent, and I’ve seen a few going scarily fast on the pavement (as I have some bikes also).

For the first time today I saw someone pulled over outside the Horniman (assume they were on the road) by a policeman on motorbike, and it looked like the scooter was about to be confiscated as it had a label of sorts attached to the handlebars.

My understanding from a few months ago was that you could only hire them and they were only allowed on the road - is there anywhere local to hire them if people did want to use them? Or is every escooter you see around here effectively being used illegally?

I’m not against them per se, but some seem very high powered.

2 Likes

I believe that unless they are hired, then every single on your see on pavement or on the road is illegal, yet they are everywhere. Beggars belief doesn’t it …

1 Like

I saw one escooter rider being given a ticket in Catford.
I think they are only allowed on the road.

I have also seen someone on something that looks like an electric unicycle.

1 Like

I don’t think so Sherwood. I believe they are illegal on the road unless its a hire scooter. Here is the guidance. The scooter must be on hire, insured and the rider has to have at the very least a provisional driving licence with L plates. The biggest joke is that London is not even a designated trial area so under the current regulations there should not even be a single one in London at all.

3 Likes

E-scooters are a menace but particularly those on pavements who generally have the attitude that everyone else should move out of the way for them. They also don’t make any allowance for those with mobility issues.

3 Likes

If you can only ride hired ones legally, you’d think purchasing them might be restrictred…

Be interesting to see if the study shows how this affects commuting behaviour in terms of transport usage / walkng / cycling, as well as recommended safety and enforcement issues.

There’s probably still an argument that you could purchase and use them legally on private land… though that’s not what appears to be happening.

It’s a tricky one really. I can see the potential benefits of e-scooters, but they occupy that difficult area somewhere between a pedestrian and vehicle, but not quite being safe around either. Push-bikes are similar in that respect, but cyclists seem more disciplined and aware of how to ride safely (well, not all of them, but on the whole I’d say most of us are) and there’s proficiency courses and training that starts from childhood.

With e-scooters it’s a brave new world, and while there is guidance, as @Thewrongtrousers points out, there isn’t much in the way of enforcement for those that choose to ignore it.

It’s a shame the hover-board things didn’t take off really. They seemed more pavement bound and a bit safer around others, well if you discount the battery packs catching fire during charging.

1 Like

It’s the speed and shock of being passed so close that can cause a frail person to fall. Many people don’t realize how easily an older person can lose balance. It’s reckless endangerment to ride these things on the pavement or any pedestrianised areas.

7 Likes

I got my information from listening to the man who hires them out. He said he was having problems with his hirers riding them on the pavement. I think he said he was going to use technology to determine who was doing this and stop it.

1 Like

I was walking from Honor Oak Park station earlier today and witnessed a young guy on one travelling in the middle of the road going much faster than 20mph. Had no safety clothes on and of course no helmet. Had someone stepped out in the road both would easily have a bad time.

1 Like

If as it seems that these things are illegal, then I don’t understand how it is that there seems to be no enforcement. If I rode my motorcycle up and down the pavement I reckon I would be nicked in no time. I just can not get my head around how it is that this sort of blatant transgression has become normalised.

1 Like

There’s a guy who goes up my road rather swiftly on an e-scooter. It has felt like there are more around over the last few months. I can see the appeal - they take up less room on trains if you are using them to get to/from stations etc.

I’ve also been surprised in recent days at how fast modern electric wheelchairs go. There’s a chap near me who takes his kids (to school, I assume) and really zooms along the pavement in the morning.

1 Like

Perhaps the motorcycle gangs will get involved and put a stop to this e-scooter madness if the police won’t :joy: