Archived on 6/5/2022

E-waste disposal

NorthernMatt
4 Apr '20

Like a lot of people I’m working from home at the moment. So I’ve had plenty of time to sort through the old gadgets & tech I’ve accumulated over the years. So I have a lot of things that need to be disposed of.

Does anyone know how I can environmentally dispose of old routers, smart gadgets and scart cables?

Thanks

ForestHull
4 Apr '20

Bell Green PC World take e-waste in store for free which is very convenient. I’ve dropped bits of a washing machine there before (I’d taken it apart to see how it worked/broke!). From https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/recycle-1042-theme.html

Landmann Way also accept electrical waste, though they are closed at the moment, and it’s a bit out of the way, but good if you have other things to drop off too:

ChrisR
4 Apr '20

I’ve always taken my small electrical items for recycling to Curry’s PC World at Bell Green Retail Park. You go to the door right at the back of the store on the left hand side. However I imagine they’re closed at the moment so another option is the council small appliance banks:

maggie2016
4 Apr '20

Gf mng what this are you getting rid of please

NorthernMatt
4 Apr '20

Thanks.

I’ll go there was movement restrictions have been lifted

NorthernMatt
4 Apr '20

I’m getting rid of a lot of SCART cables, two old Sky Broadband routers and a very old Pure Sensia DAB / internet radio. Plus various cables including a number ADS line filers

maggie2016
4 Apr '20

Gd mng and thank you thought there may be external 3.5 floppy drive

NorthernMatt
4 Apr '20

Sorry no floppy drive

An_Iain
4 Apr '20

There’s also a recycling bin type of an affair for small electronics (and one for clothing) on Sydenham Rise, Kirkdale end, near Mais House/Lammas Green if that’s more convenient.

DevonishForester
20 Jul '20

PC World in Bell Green are open and accepting e-waste. I took a dead laptop there on Saturday. They had a well-organised queue for the store, with someone checking which section customers were heading for. I was told I need not queue and they took the machine from me to put in the recycling bin.

Rob
21 Jul '20

MusicMagpie are also scooping up a lot more these days too