Archived on 6/5/2022

Electrician recommendations

starman
5 Jul '16

Hi. Can anyone recommend a local electrician?

Dave
5 Jul '16

I would really recommend Chad - http://www.checkatrade.com/BrightspaceElectrical/

He has done a few jobs for us in the last six months and has been brilliant. Punctual, polite and highly professional. We asked him to test everything in our new house and we wanted to rewire - he advised on a much more limited set of work which meant we saved money and got everything sorted.

DevonishForester
27 Apr '17

Does anyone have other recommendations? We need a bathroom extractor fan replacing now, but there will be further work ahead including total wiring inspection.

Pauline
27 Apr '17

Liam Talis - 07983 636656
Or
Kal 07966 580033

Both are excellent & local.

Christopher
27 Apr '17

Sajmir Krasniqi - 07904 878 822. We renovated a house inside and out and he was the single best tradesman (from dozens) that we used. Would recommend him to anyone - knowledgeable, conscientious and flexible.

starman
10 May '17

Hi. We ended using local boy John Durka. Nice lad and good work.

http://www.checkatrade.com/JDurkaElectricalServices/

Ames
1 Dec '18

Hi, just wondered if there were any recommendations for emergency electrician call-outs? We’ve got no power this morning and our electrics need checking. Thanks so much!

topofthehill
1 Dec '18

Try Dan Hyde Electrical. He’s on Facebook.

Ames
1 Dec '18

Thank you!

mimi
4 Dec '18

OMG, I have to tell you about this guy who did fit some lights for me today, he was so honest and quick and the price was just right very reasonable, his name is Miles and his number is 07850367896.

anon26043310
14 May '19

Has anyone had to replace their fuse box recently and have recommendations for someone who did it? I have contacted people recommended in this thread so far and they either havent replied or only do smaller jobs.

louisab23
3 Jun '19

Hi there,

I need someone to quote for replacing a bathroom extractor fan (with humimeter) and also to fix our kitchen extractor fan. I’ve tried replacing the fuse to no avail…

Any recommendations for someone who could do those jobs?

Thanks
Louisa

anon26043310
3 Jun '19

We have someone coming in tomorrow to do some electrical work in our flat. I’ll let you know what he’s like tomorrow!

Edit: @louisab23 as promised, we used Alex from AKL Electrical Ltd. They’re a family run business and Alex was lovely and did a great job. You can find their details on Facebook. Not technically local as they are based in Kent but I didn’t get a response from the local ones.

willmorgan
30 Dec '19

Thanks for this Pauline.

Had Liam come out to an emergency today and he did a stellar job at quickly diagnosing and fixing the problem. Reasonable rates for call outs at this time of year.

Will be saving his number for next time (which hopefully won’t be for a long time…)

Pea
8 Apr '20

Strange one. One of our plug sockets has stopped working but no others. Fuse box etc all fine. So think we need an electrician to fix it as maybe there is a loose wire or something inside. Any local recommendations much appreciated. Thanks.

Pauline
8 Apr '20

Paul that lives above The Archie Parker, I think @Anotherjohn has his number - sorry if my messages are not quite clear right now or have spelling mistakes @Foresthillnick is trying to help me, thanks Nick

Pea
8 Apr '20

Ah fab thank you. Makes perfect sense :slight_smile:

Anotherjohn
8 Apr '20

Happy to pass you Paul’s number if you pm me.

Pauline
8 Apr '20

I can see my screen well now, thanks to @Foresthillnick I can contact Paul via facebook and tell him to look out for the call if you decide to contact him @Pea

Pea
8 Apr '20

That would be great many thanks :slight_smile:

Pauline
8 Apr '20

I’ll PM him via facebook now to tell him to look out for your call or text.

Alphabetbyrne
28 Jul '20

Hi. I’m looking to get some electrical cables and sockets chased into walls in my flat. Anyone got a recommendation for a tradesperson who could do this? Looking to get it done in next few / weeks or months.

clausy
28 Jul '20

Hi @Alphabetbyrne - I’ve moved your post to this thread - take a look and see if there’s anything useful here.

Meldrew
28 Jul '20

Mem has done so many electrical jobs for me he’s now a friend. Give him a call 07956 450347.

wattsicle
4 Aug '20

Hello
Has anyone has any contact with Liam Tallis or Lumens Electrical Services over the past few months please? I paid Liam to carry out some work for me at the end of Feb and paid his invoice instantly. He carried out some of the work but was meant to send me an EICR (for which I have paid him in full) and nothing. I have been chasing him since early March - ignores my calls, texts, whatsapp and emails. From Companies House website their accounts look to be overdue. Be interested to know if anyone has been in touch with them.
Thanks
Laura

Jessie
8 Feb '21

Hello, just wondering if anyone has any (more recent) electrician recommendations? We have a few small jobs round the house that need doing… thanks!

Nomis46
8 Feb '21

We always use Kal at SE Electricals: 07966 580033. He’s a very friendly guy and always does a great job. Never had an issue with him.

Jo1234
8 Feb '21

Hello,

I have used Leon twice, both times he did not let me down, I found him originally in my builder.com. He worked out a job which another electrician could not sort out(unfortunately it happens often for electricians). He was quite flexible as well ( I needed him to come around certain time range, he did it very well).
Not sure where he is based but he seems to come around SE23 often.
07908 257448.

oronimbus
11 May '21

We’re experiencing the exact same thing with Liam. Had him carry out some initial work, which he did out without any issues. Then we did the EICR test on his recommendation. He came and did some tests, we paid promptly but then never received any report whatsoever. Have messaged him numerous times but only received excuses or was just ignored. He was professional in person but now reading that you faced a similar situation is rather shocking if not scam-ey. Curious to know if you ever heard back since…

wattsicle
11 May '21

Nope, I heard nothing back despite calls, texts, emails. When did he carry out this work for you please? There accounts are still showing as overdue on Companies House

oronimbus
11 May '21

It was in February this year - I hope this thread at least helps someone in the future to avoid wasting money, nerves and time.

Suze
12 May '21

Jim McAllister is local to forest hill and done a fair bit of electrical work over the years for us and is a nice guy 07790 305825

beatrix
9 Jun '21

Hi, there are some marvellous recommendations on here. Unfortunately most of them are busy for the next few weeks. Can anyone recommended an electrician that hasn’t been recommended here already? It’s just a quick job of fixing the shower isolator switch which went bang this morning.

Cheers

JM
9 Jun '21

Adam +44 7917 817953.

Just had him round to do a few bits. Very helpful, did a great job.

beatrix
9 Jun '21

Thanks. I’ve phone him and left a message. Hopefully he’ll be able to do the work for me.

wattsicle
12 Jun '21

Try Sajmir - SK electrics

+447904878822

ChrisR
4 Jul '21

HELP! All the electrics in my flat went late last night as if there was a power cut but it obviously wasn’t a power cut as the other flats in the block and nearby properties weren’t affected!

I checked each of the fuses in the fuse box this morning and all the wiring seens intact so not sure what the issue is. However I’m having an issue getting an electrician who can come today. Have tried all the recommendations on here except the one with updated negative comments and check a trade. Has anyone got any further recommendations or advice. Many Thanks

Sherwood
4 Jul '21

It could be the main fuse. If so, I think you can get the Electricity Board (or whatever they are called now) to fix it for a charge.

Not all properties in a road are on the same power cable. I found this out when my power went off. I think there are three cables per road. It is random which one they connect a house to.

ChrisR
4 Jul '21

Thanks for the advice Michael. Fingers crossed an electrician is coming tomorrow. As I’m in a small block of 5 flats wouldn’t the block be supplied by the same power cable? On the odd occasion we’ve had a powercut before the whole block has been affected.

Sherwood
5 Jul '21

I think the block would be supplied by the same power cable.

Therefore, it sounds to me like a main fuse blown.

Anotherjohn
5 Jul '21

I believe it’s been sorted now.

ForestHull
5 Jul '21

What had happened in the end? Was it the main fuse or something else?

I’m glad it’s fixed now - I can’t imagine life without electricity :grimacing:

Anotherjohn
5 Jul '21

Someone in the block flicked the main switch.
It was as simple and blooming annoying as that!

ChrisR
5 Jul '21

You certainly don’t realise how dependant on it we are until you don’t have any at all!
I certainly don’t recommend it.Even lighting every single candle I had which was quite a few didn’t produce enough light to be able to read anything! Luckily I have good neighbours who kept my mobile charged, provided hot water for a caffeine fix and even appeared with a hot meal for dinner last night.

ChrisR
6 Jul '21

Yes as @anotherjohn has said it was as simple and b****y annoying as that!!

Sherwood
6 Jul '21

After I lost my power and came home to a dark house, I bought two rechargeable torches. They are always fully charged.
Central heating does not work without electricity.

Anotherjohn
6 Jul '21

Takes me back to the days of the 3-day week

BC
11 Feb '22

Hi Laura, did you manage to get your EICR eventually? I am currently having some issues with the same trader I was wondering what the outcome was. Thanks

BC
11 Feb '22

Hi Oronumbus, I was wondering if you got your EICR eventually?

oronimbus
11 Feb '22

No never - did you have the same experience?

wattsicle
11 Feb '22

Hi @BC no, unfortunately not. Have been calling, texting, whatsapp, emailed. I did find him (Liam) on facebook too, he seems to have now come off or changed his name. When did you have the works carried out please?

HillLife
11 Feb '22

You can report him to his body:

https://www.niceic.com/find-a-contractor/help-and-advice/contractors-and-the-niceic/how-to-complain-about-an-niciec-contractor

BC
11 Feb '22

Hi Laura, I’m having different issues with him and it seems to be taking a long time to resolve. I have his details if you need them. Did he confirm that he was registered? I think only registered electricians could carry out an EICR. BC

wattsicle
12 Feb '22

Thank you, yes details would be great. He had said he could carry out the inspection and issue me with the EICR, this was in Feb 2020.
I was going to go the small claims court but if we are all having issues perhaps a collective complaint to Trading Standards would be better if interested @BC & @oronimbus?

oronimbus
12 Feb '22

Yes sure - I don’t really have any experience with dealing with Trading Standards though. Luckily this was our first bad experience. What do you reckon is the best course of action?

DevonishForester
12 Feb '22

I had to go the small claims route recently with a heating engineer. Lewisham no longer provides a Trading Standards service that can be accessed by individuals, instead you get directed to Citizens Advice Bureau. CAB can be helpful, but they don’t prosecute or serve Notices and unless you get referred to a solicitor by them their advice isn’t ‘legal advice’.

Hillster
13 Feb '22

You’ll need to contact the Citizens Advice consumer service. They have the ability to refer your case to local Trading Standards for further investigation.

BC
13 Feb '22

Hi Laura, yes interested I am waiting to hear back and if he disputes then I will join but you should go ahead anyway as he failed to provide the full service you paid for. Lewisham Trading Standards generic e-mail address is cer@lewisham.gov.uk and they do have to respond as it is their legal duty although it may take a while. You will then get a case officer. I think I have the name of their current manager as well.

Sherwood
13 Feb '22

I suggest you telephone or email Trading Standards. They cannot advise you about individual tradesmen, but they do take notes about them for their own reference.

DevonishForester
15 Feb '22

That’s interesting, the CAB never told me that, they advised that they can send info about the case to Trading Standards who may or may not respond. I was asked by CAB if I would like a response from Trading Standards and of course said yes, but never heard back. May I ask why you believe Trading Standards has a legal obligation to respond to every enquiry? Do you know what the ‘cer’ part of their email address means?

Sherwood
15 Feb '22

Crime Enforcement and Regulation Service