Archived on 6/5/2022

Emergency dog sitter recommendations

RachaelDunlop
17 Jun '16

There’s a chance we will have to make a short trip away from home due to a family emergency. Not immediately, but in the next few weeks or months. While I have a lovely dog walker, he can’t board a sparky young spaniel. Can anyone recommend a local doggy day care who does boarding*? Somewhere the dog could try out for a day or afternoon before staying overnight. Thanks!

(*Not kennels as they aren’t as flexible and tend to be out of town. More like someone who takes dogs into their own homes.)

anon64893700
17 Jun '16

Don’t know anyone off hand, but if you run out of options, the kennels I use collect and drop off. Not idea for try outs I know, but happy to try and help with that if the need arises.

RachaelDunlop
17 Jun '16

Thanks. My kennels do that too, but given this issue is going to arise in the summer, I’m worried the good kennels will all be full. Will bear it in mind, though.

anon64893700
17 Jun '16

Aaaah I see, I always forget about summer hols etc.
Which kennels do you use out of interest?

RachaelDunlop
17 Jun '16

Paulways in Ashford. They run a pet shop in Thornton Heath and have facilities there for drop-off.

anon64893700
17 Jun '16

Thank you, always worth knowing these things :slight_smile:

Verds
18 Jun '16

Hello. If you get stuck give me a shout as my parents have done a lot of dogsitting (if you wanted someone to look after him at home). They’re very kind and they love spaniels - we used to have a pair of crazy springers!

RachaelDunlop
18 Jun '16

Thanks, Verds, I’ll definitely bear that in mind. It would definitely help to have someone who understands the spaniel mentality!

Pauline
8 Jul '16

Rachael if you haven’t found anyone yet @Clair parents dog sit from their home in Kent, they ran kennels for many years so have lots of experience :slight_smile: