Archived on 6/5/2022

Euro2016-free places

MissP
11 Jun '16

Hello all! Does anyone know which bars / pubs / venues are not showing the football, in and around Forest Hill? I’d really like to avoid it but would rather not become hermit-like for the next month! Any suggestions gratefully received!

thirstforwine
11 Jun '16

I know the feeling and sympathise … luckily for me I do live a bit like a hermit, so can safely hide at home :slight_smile:

anon5422159
11 Jun '16

Me too. I think there are a lot of us in the same boat. When I see pubs closing and coffee shops spreading, I wonder if it’s the gradual rejection of “watching footie with a pint” culture - a more general trend perhaps?

comoed
12 Jun '16

The Perry Vale doesnt have tv’s so thats going to be one. All Inn One are showing all the games, but if its a nice day, the garden bar doesnt have a tv so you can safely be removed from the football. The Sylvan post has a tv but often doesnt have the sound up, and the Dartmouth Arms (if they get a tv in - sometimes they do, but their website doesnt confirm anything) will still have a separate bar where you are free from able to see the football. I realise some of these options arent exactly football free - but it depends on how much you want to avoid it to be honest.

ScottT
12 Jun '16

The rather excellent Perry Vale and Canvas and Cream will be football free, I would imagine. During the last World Cup, Dartmouth Arms had a good compromise, they showed the matches in the front bar bit but you could grab a bite to eat and get away from it in the back section.

anon5422159
12 Jun '16

This may put a dampener on things:

thirstforwine
12 Jun '16

How sad - in all senses

Londondrz
13 Jun '16

We went to the All in One on Sat and had a great meal in the restaurant area, the footie was on but we were not disturbed.

MissP
14 Jun '16

Had a lovely meal in The Perry Vale tonight and it struck me that I’ve never been in All In One. Must try there next! Thanks all!

Londondrz
15 Jun '16

@MissP Lovely staff, we’re able to cater for our embarrassing fussy children completely off menu.