Archived on 6/5/2022

Exemption for drone filming of the Forest Hill Mural?

anon5422159
18 Mar '18

I’d like to take some snippets of film when Lionel paints the mural next week - some panning shots, and ideally some aerial footage with my drone.

I would make the video available in full resolution royalty free in order that it can be used by anyone to promote the area.

As I understand it, the GLA or Lewisham Council have put a blanket ban on drones flying in the borough.

@Lewisham_Councillors - is it possible to apply for an exemption for specific events?

anon51837532
18 Mar '18

@anon5422159

An earlier post referred me to an IOS App called Drone Assist.

Download it, create a free account and their mapping system shows areas of no-fly plus several other categories.

The bridge is in a yellow area - which I think means fly with caution - ground hazards.

Try it and see what you think.

Watch out for kamikaze pigeons.

…and double-decker buses and other tall-sided vehicles - there’s not much headroom.

anon5422159
18 Mar '18

Thanks for the tip. The control software that came with my drone also has protection built in, and would actively prevent me flying near London City Airport, for example.

anon51837532
18 Mar '18

Quite wise really.

Landing charges are appalling there.

anon30031319
18 Mar '18

What sort of angle are you planning to film from? I would think under the bridge is too close for traffic, to the side and up would probably cause concern for the trains and station.

Couple of static Go-Pros on timelapse maybe?

Londondrz
18 Mar '18

I don’t think you have a hope Chris. Flying in London unless you have a commercial license difficult if not impossible. 50 meters from building and 150 meters from commercial premises and people. I am sure you know this already. However, maybe you can get an exemption. Other option is the mount your MAVIC on a DJI Ronin. :slight_smile:

anon5422159
18 Mar '18

I was thinking of using the drone like a camera on a glide-track to film some of the painting, and then to do an aerial shot that sets the scene, flying down to a front-on view of the artwork (I’d speed up the transition from aerial to front-on in software because it would need to be flown slowly and carefully).

Admittedly the whole idea is ambitious and I do acknowledge the danger of flying drones near traffic, people and buildings.

It would look super-sweet on video though!

anon30031319
18 Mar '18

Oh I agree, nothing like the smoothness of drone footage.
Problem would be finding a gap in the traffic to get the drone in and out.
Hope you work something out.

anon5422159
18 Mar '18

Not all countries are so strict. For me, the drone is mostly for holidays - capturing footage like this:

@Liz_Hall in Porto Moniz, Madeira

The intent with the drone was to capture an aerial “swoop” that would reveal the location of the hidden sign.

That’s a great idea!

ThorNogson
19 Mar '18

I have a friend who uses time lapse to stunning effect for his wall work in East London. Example here:

anon30031319
19 Mar '18

Time lapse is definitely the way to go :slight_smile: Great vid

anon5422159
19 Mar '18

@Cassius_Rayner - would you be interested in recording this?

Foresthillnick
19 Mar '18

We did a timelapse over months of a new build and it was so much fun the architects asked for a copy.

I have seem some fantastic drone footage though- even over bits of London

starman
19 Mar '18

Can we have Wonder Woman instead of the walrus?