Extension of ULEZ to South Circular in Oct 2021

sadiq

To reduce pollution near WHS, the simplest way would be to improve traffic flow through the Forest Hill junction; specifically, the A205 clockwise flow, i.e. in the direction from Catford to Dulwich.

The constant hill starts by traffic, including a large proportion of goods vehicles will be contributing a vast amount to local pollution. At peak traffic, vehicles may have four or more hill starts until they pass through the traffic lights.

I believe the current junction layout is a hangover from when trams ran though it as they required a large turning radius. The junction itself is too big, which greatly reduces the efficiency of each phase. The clockwise flow has two available lanes, but generally uses only one due to a lack of lane markings around the corner. The bus stops immediately before and after the junction also reduce traffic flow through the junction. The keep clear section at the exit of the station car park reduces the density of queueing vehicles near the entry to the junction and reduces the rate at which vehicles enter the junction.

It’s simply a bad junction that stalls traffic through Forest Hill, increases local pollution, and makes it more difficult for pedestrians to navigate around Forest Hill centre.

Here is an aerial show of the junction showing its excessive area:

yes that’s a great improvement. I’d been thinking on similar lines, but to make the boundary coincident with Borough boundaries. ie for us. move the boundary at least as far as the Bromley/Lewisham border. This would have the benefit of cleaning up all of Lewisham and not just the bits within the South Circular .

The boundary does need to be main roads so that additional traffic is not pushed onto narrow residential streets and avoid people finding they have no choice but to enter the ULEZ (other than a U-turn in the middle of the road).

yes fair point- guess I see no reason why the main road should be the South Circular, which already cuts Forest Hill in two and this would tend to reinforce that if even some more traffic was forced out toward the perimeter of the zone.

Maybe they should also send the aircraft and their pollution away as well, a win win on the pollution and sound.

I’ve often wondered about this - how the south circular isn’t given priority at this junction. especially going eastbound - it’s a left filter, to stay on the south circular, and the main lights are for turning right only. surely it should be a right filter for turning onto Dartmouth Road, and the main lights should be for traffic staying on the A205 - as most of the traffic will be staying on the south circular, and only some of it turning off.

and yes the bus stop is in the way meaning that there’s little space for traffic to change lanes into the left hand, carrying on the A205.

This has been an interesting and informative thread. As part of our response to the Mayor’s consultation Lewisham Liberal Democrats have a petition on their website. Libdem petition fightng for clean air

I greatly sympathise with and support the argument. My worry is that such initiative may be misused by the camp who are fighting the ULEZ altogether by labelling it as opposition to the proposal, although the consultation was well structures to allow to distinguish between the two types of responses by those who a smaller and those who want a bigger area.

There is clear momentum now to act and if this next phase goes ahead it is not unlikely that another extension may follow soon after. However, if the next phase doesn’t go ahead, then I would expect a quick death for the whole initiative. It’s a tricky one.

Another interesting BBC piece.

This time under their “Reality Check” feature.

Seems to argue all sides of the coin ( - it is possible there is more than two sides).

And none.

Some interesting hard facts - but a meaningful set of conclusions is absent.

It’s even in your username! :smiley: