Archived on 6/5/2022

“Extra”/Unclaimed bins outside the house

Bolgerp
21 Mar '18

I’m sure I saw an answer to this before but I can’t find it now…

There are two black bins that have been left on the footpath between mine and the neighbour’s house for a good 4 or 5 months. They don’t belong to either of us and I cannot obviously see which house they might belong to… can I contact the council to remove them?

DevonishForester
21 Mar '18

Why can’t we expect the Council to deal with lidless bins, damaged and abandoned bins? This is basic stuff that regular street inspections should deal with, like fly-tipping and untrimmed trees/bushes blocking pavements. We shouldn’t have to think about this, it should be dealt with as a matter of course.

All bins should be issued with embossed address so it’s clear to which address the bin belongs.

Beige
21 Mar '18

This is Lewisham, not Utopia. Besides, what’s wrong with expecting citizens to at least report things?

@Bolgerp I think I used love clean streets to get one taken away a couple of years ago. IIRC there was a 4 week lead time but it did get taken.

Sandinista
21 Mar '18

Funnily enough I was looking this up too - we’ve had a stray one since snow week, when all the bins were out for ages. Looks like you can report it online: https://www.lewisham.gov.uk/myservices/wasterecycle/your-bins/Pages/Request-a-bin-removal.aspx

Will
21 Mar '18

I contacted the council 6 weeks ago for removal of a broken bin that they had already replaced… Was told to put the bin on street for the next collection. It’s sat out there since then (6 weeks!), have called council twice and they keep saying it will be collected asap. Since then someone has loaded it with junk, and dumped stuff next to it. Hopefully they’ll remove it soon before it becomes any more of a nuisance on the pavement.

Dave
22 Mar '18

For pretty much the last ten years there have been some people on Ballina St who’ve never taken their bins in.

Would it be unfair to report them as abandoned?

(I know this sounds petty)

DevonishForester
22 Mar '18

I don’t know the street you mention, but I think residents should keep their bins clear of the pavement. We have a problem, where bins are PERMANENTLY blocking the pavement allowing only single file past. Why should should a parent + child holding hands have to drop hands? Why should someone with two heavy bulky bags have to walk in the road or cross the road?

Reported on fixmystreet.com a year ago.

I appreciate there are some buildings where there is absolutely no bin space on the property, but that isn’t the case in the example I have reported.

Bolgerp
22 Mar '18

Thanks all… I used Fix My Street… let’s see how that progresses.