Archived on 6/5/2022

Failed home invasion on Dartmouth road

localbloke
27 Aug '20

Someone attempted to break into our house on the morning of Sunday the 23rd, they smashed through our garden side gate and then removed our cat flap on the back door and tried to gain entry, thankfully they failed. We were asleep upstairs and heard nothing and were unaware until we came down in the morning. The police who arrived the next day said that a similar attempted break in had happened two days before two houses over with the burglar trying to gain access through the cat flap. Please be vigilant and stay safe everyone.

BigAl
27 Aug '20

The people around here are so classy

Swagger
27 Aug '20

You slept through someone removing your cat flap? Were you on the drink before you went to bed that night?

Londondrz
27 Aug '20

You may want to rethink that or add a smiley!

Swagger
27 Aug '20

In all fairness it’s a valid question. I’m not familiar with cat flap installation but you can be forgiven for assuming that trying to enter a property through a pet’s entrance at night would cause noticeable commotion. If someone told you in person that they slept through a burglar removing a section of their back door you’d wonder how they slept through it.

Nadia
27 Aug '20

Not in the slightest.
You ever heard of tools?

Swagger
27 Aug '20

Yes, actually. I’m a builder/bricklayer. Unless this isn’t the case, modern UPVC doors would require a crowbar to prize the trims around the cat flap to access the fixings keeping the entrance in place. To remove them would cause a lot of noise and disturbing the occupier from their slumber. Next!

robertjroy
27 Aug '20

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for letting us know about this, and I’m sorry you had to experience that. I’m glad they weren’t successful! Do you know what stopped them?

Nadia
27 Aug '20

Next would be… think about how (un)helpful you are being when the original poster has had a likely traumatic experience and you are talking about their drinking habits. Think about that.

Swagger
27 Aug '20

This post was flagged and is temporarily hidden.

Londondrz
27 Aug '20

Last warning.

chamonix
27 Aug '20

@Swagger Pretty common actually to attempt entry via a cat flap. And why would you presume that anyone would wake up in this situation…

anon27836993
28 Aug '20

Some people I know can sleep through anything even in the day!! So kind of insulting to assume someone could of should of heard this so never assume or judge. No one deserves to be broken into what ever time or day.
Experiences like this are not nice at all the after feeling is horrible. It’s down to each person or persons to see fit how they want to have there castle. And should feel happy, comfy and safe.
Has for these cowardly criminals how dare you hope you get caught grrr

BrightStar
28 Aug '20

Glad they didn’t get in and thanks for notifying us! Keep safe!

anon5422159
28 Aug '20

Welcome to the forum, @localbloke, and sorry you had to go through this experience (and also sorry to see you receive the flippant comments above).

JohnH1
28 Aug '20

On a lighter note, a few months ago my next door neighbour spotted a couple of lads on our lawn looking at the back of the house so she opened the bedroom window to remonstrate and they ran down the side of our house, over a 7 foot wall and out through the front garden. By which time she’d got to her front door and started shouting “Stop Thieves” at them as they ran off down the road. Hopefully they ended up with brown trousers and have had a rethink about their future career.
But I’d have loved to have been there to see it.

Sherwood
28 Aug '20

Some years ago as I came out of my front door I nearly trod on someone crawling up the front garden. I think he thought my mother was alone in the house… By the time I had shut the front door he was at the pavement. By the time I got to the pavement he was at the junction with the next road. It is amazing how fast some people can run!

ForestHull
29 Aug '20

3 posts were split to a new topic: Posts moved from failed hind invasion on Dartmouth road