Archived on 6/5/2022

FH lampost Christmas lights

Forestbird
15 Nov '20

I notice the usual wound string of Xmas lights is adorning our lamposts again this year but compared to some other nearby highstreets they seem very boring. Does anyone know how they are alloted throughout the borough?

Nivag
15 Nov '20

I can think of better things to spend council money on than pretty lights that are better than another council’s pretty lights.

Forestbird
15 Nov '20

Mmmm doesn’t really answer the question though does it. Also the other high streets are all in Lewisham. Just wondering if anyone knew.

Londondrz
16 Nov '20

It offers quite a lot of people at this time of year, regardless of Covid, some much needed cheer.

Bring on the lights.

robin.orton
16 Nov '20

Can’t think of anything more depressing than Christmas lights in the first half of November.

Londondrz
16 Nov '20

Are they turned on?

Michael
16 Nov '20

The year is 2020 and the most depressing thing you can imagine is lights in November. Are you living in a bubble?

robin.orton
16 Nov '20

It’s just a figure of speech, Michael: we call it ‘hyperbole.’

SophieDavis
18 Nov '20

The Council has a contract with Skanska for Christmas lights across the borough - these are the LED wrap-around lights.

Some wards may have additional lights (e.g.motifs) - these have usually been funded through Local Assemblies, or via crowdfunding.

Anotherjohn
18 Nov '20

Thank you for explaining @SophieDavis
Does this mean that Skanska’s Christmas lights contract for the other District centres, Blackheath, Deptford, Downham, Lee Green and Sydenham are all limited to the same LED wrap-around lights that we’ve got?
And, if we were to raise money for something a little more elaborate, would Skanska’s contract extend to fitting them for us or would that have to be quoted-for separately?

Fran_487
18 Nov '20

This is one of the most creative treatments of Christmas lights I’ve seen, and could definitely be something I’m sure local schools would love to get involved with…

Forestbird
18 Nov '20

Thank you. That explains a lot.

Forestbird
18 Nov '20

Really like this idea.

starman
19 Nov '20

I think lights are often enhanced locally by local traders. There is Forest Hill Traders Association but it has been dormant for a couple of years.

clausy
20 Nov '20

This is fabulous. Probably a bit late to organise it this year but we should definitely look into it for next year. Love it!

SophieDavis
20 Nov '20

Re Skanska’s contract, my understanding is that it all depends on the quantities (across the borough) as there is a limit within the Contract as “free issue”. Once Skanska go over this figure the Council have to pay to install / remove / test and store etc.

If there’s space the only additional cost apart from supplying the Motifs (cannot use wrap around pea lights) is any possible commando sockets on the lamp columns ( roughly £293 per column) for the lights to plug into. The rest is covered within the Contract.

If people want to put together a proposal for next year, I’ll be happy to liaise with Skanska about it, or put you in touch.

clausy
20 Nov '20

Great, I can bring this up with FHSoc and the FHTA too. It might take a while to plan, but I imagine it would be a fun thing to do to engage with local primary schools. I wonder how they picked the winners? And I wonder if any 6th form art/science classes could volunteer to make the lights too. It would be great to community source as much of this as possible.

Fran_487
20 Nov '20

Here’s a little more information!

Forestbird
20 Nov '20

Good idea. Our lights could then be really great. If they could also continue to the end of the shops in Dartmouth Road they would be fantastic.