Archived on 6/5/2022

FHSoc: Forest Hill History Panel discussion

ForestHull
8 Mar '21

From Forest Hill Society: Forest Hill History Panel

starman
10 Apr '21

We have some excellent panellists lining up for the History Panel on the 20th.

This includes Pip who lived in Forest Hill from 1928 to 1954, including most of the Second World War. He visited the Crystal Palace and assisted people when Forest Hill station was bombed. He will be joining us from Canada where he has lived since 1965.

And this includes John who moved to Forest Hill in 1949 when he was 2 years old, and has lived in the area ever since - in a variety of different streets. John remembers many of the old shops around Forest Hill, some great concerts at the Glenlyn Ballroom in the 1960s, and taking steam trains direct from Forest Hill to Brighton.

Register to join the discussion via Zoom at https://shorturl.at/xFOR2.

ChrisR
10 Apr '21

Already signed up!

jonfrewin
10 Apr '21

Sounds like an amazing event. How old is Pip, if you know? Wouldn’t it be great if you could still get a direct train to Brighton!

Michael
11 Apr '21

I believe Pip was born in 1928.
There were direct trains to Brighton in the 1990s, but only a couple a day (and none were steam). This was when there were fast trains from Forest Hill, but the Overground put a stop to that in around 2009 - the increased frequency made it impossible to run a semi-fast service on the slow line.

I’ve had the pleasure of speaking to Pip and John already and they have some great stories to tell. But we also welcome others with stories and memories to contribute. The thing about local history is that the smallest details can become fascinating.

jonfrewin
11 Apr '21

Thanks Michael - it sounds great. Do you know if the session will be recorded? I’m not sure if I’ll be able to make it along that evening.

Michael
19 Apr '21

Just a reminder about tomorrow’s history discussion. If you want to listen or join in, please register at https://shorturl.at/xFOR2 to reserve your place.

starman
22 Apr '21

Thank you to all who joined our panel on Tuesday. There were some really outstanding contributions by residents past and present. If you couldn’t join on the night, the talk was recorded for viewing at your leisure.

And this is quite possibly the best review seen so far.

Anotherjohn
23 Apr '21

That was a really interesting watch - so I just want to say thank you to the FHSoc and to everyone who gave up their time for our benefit.

system
22 Jun '21

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.