Archived on 6/5/2022

Finsbury Park attacker ‘sought to attack in Forest Hill’

Baboonery
23 Jan '18

Bizarre. Wonder if he thought he was going to Forest Gate, amusingly. He’d be the only person outside London who’s ever heard of FH (seemingly) if he came here deliberately, so I can only presume he drove until he got bored, and just happened to stop in a district where there isn’t a mosque for a fair distance. Ha.

Forest Hill: frustrating homicidal bigots since 2017!

HannahM
23 Jan '18

I think our nearest one is in Peckham on Choumert Road. Good thing the person he asked didn’t know that as that is on a fairly narrow residential street so the damage could have been a lot worse.

Michael
23 Jan '18

“There are no mosques in the area” - that is always the correct response to somebody driving a large van. The same applies to synagogues, churches, schools, etc.

Baboonery
23 Jan '18

I looked last night when I first saw this story - Lewisham, next to the Shell garage opposite the Catford end of the hospital.

Baboonery
23 Jan '18

‘…and I shall be taking down your registration number and calling the police…’ would be part of the A* answer, but you can’t win em all with hindsight.

Rebecca_Headd
23 Jan '18

Maybe he thought he would follow in the footsteps of the man who welded a knife looking to kill Muslims on a train in Forest Hill and thought the place had some significance. Prime reason why I rarely wear a headscarf out these days.

Baboonery
23 Jan '18

Fair point, though I doubt he follows the news that closely.

anon30031319
2 Feb '18

Nice to see the amount of time he got.