Firefighters rescue man and woman from Forest Hill house fire

Firefighters rescued two people from a house fire on Dacres Road in Forest Hill.

Part of the ground floor of the semi-detached house was damaged by fire. A man and woman were rescued from the ground floor by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus. They were both treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by London Ambulance Service crews and were taken to hospital.

The fire is believed to have been caused by an electric blanket.

A London Fire Brigade spokesperson said: “We believe the fire was caused by an overheated electric blanket. It is very important to make sure that electrical items, like electric blankets, are switched off when you leave the house. Electric blankets shouldn’t be left on overnight either as they can overheat and then catch fire.”

The Brigade was called at 0921 and the fire was under control by 0948. Three fire engines and around 20 firefighters from Forest Hill and Beckenham fire stations attended the scene.