Archived on 6/5/2022

First class seats on Southern Railways

starman
28 Jun '18

I’ve been given conflicting information on the use of first class seats on Southern Railways between Forest Hill and London Bridge… and onward to Charing Cross on Southeastern Trains. And I’m hoping someone may have some clarity.

When travelling between these stations there is no first class fare available. I have always understood that to mean that you could sit anywhere on the train regardless of class. But I’ve also been told that I cannot.

Any thoughts?

Andy
28 Jun '18

Geoff Marshall to the rescue

This video may not answer all your questions, but it is relevant I believe.

divya_m
28 Jun '18

I tweeted Southern Rail about this a few months ago (about the LB-Victoria line) and they replied saying those seats were declassified so anyone can sit there.

anon5422159
28 Jun '18

Looks like it may depend on circumstance (or it may depend on who you ask in Southern :slight_smile: )

Bolgerp
28 Jun '18

I believe they are declassified in Inner London as default… not across the whole Southern network. The tweet is a bit ambiguous which is probably why their answer is as it is.

divya_m
28 Jun '18

Yes, when I tweeted them I asked specifically about that line and they replied in the affirmative. I can imagine they haven’t declassified it across the network.

Bolgerp
28 Jun '18

I have just Tweeted them…

Bolgerp
28 Jun '18

Confirmation of no 1st class on inner London services.

anon5422159
28 Jun '18

And:

Forethugel
28 Jun '18

Best kept secret…

In that context, I’m also led to believe that first class seats at the end of each Thameslink train are declassified on all services, as well all first class seats on some services, including those between Blackfriars and Catford/Crofton Park.

starman
28 Jun '18

Well. I’m taking this as a yes. Thanks all for following up with Southern.

See you all in First Class (except on the shitty 455 trains).

Andy
28 Jun '18

First class Southern seats: yes.
First class Southern service: oxymoron.

Londondrz
28 Jun '18

All of those years squashed in looking at those empty seats :frowning:

starman
28 Jun '18

I’m printing off a copy of this and keeping it my work bag.

Philippe
1 Jul '18

I’ve liberally used these 1st class seats, expecting they wouldn’t be enforced on this kind of journeys.

Also when you buy your travel ticket you’re not offered a 1st class option.

Hollow
2 Jul '18

The rule is any train the starts / finishes in the metro zone which is basically greater London (all of our Southern trains) don’t have first class.

The only ones would be some South Eastern that come in from very far away.

Sherwood
2 Jul '18

I think that some of our trains start from Caterham outside Greater London.

Hollow
2 Jul '18

Caterham is zone 6 and inside the M25. Does that not constitute greater London? I guess there’s arguments over that.