Archived on 6/5/2022

Flooding Problem

Liem
13 Jun '18

Hello, I wonder if there was history of flooding happened in Forest Hill SE23 3EU

Sherwood
13 Jun '18

Many years ago the rain was so heavy that drains in Stanstead Road popped open.

I understand that Thames Water has installed an additional surface water sewer since then.

Chiccaroline
13 Jun '18

Did it come up in the searches for a property?

se23blue
13 Jun '18

FYI SE23 3EU is Pearcefield Avenue

Londondrz
13 Jun '18

I lived round the corner for 16 years and never saw flooding there. However, have a look at The Environment Agency website and they have a postcode flood checker. It saved us a fortune when our insurer decided we lived in a flood risk area, we don’t.

Liem
13 Jun '18

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, while the flood-map-for-planning website does not the risk of flooding. Unfortunately, it is high risk from surface water flooding :frowning_face:

I’ll get some insurance quotes later.

Londondrz
13 Jun '18

I would knock on some doors locally and ask if they have had flood issues.

ForestHull
13 Jun '18

Not sure insurers would take that into account. It’s a numbers game, not common sense :frowning:

Londondrz
14 Jun '18

Mine did when I asked them if they were insuring by postcode or my house. I also pointed out that flooding doesn’t tend to happen much on a hill. The insurer then requoted at a much more realistic level. It was that or go elsewhere where the insurer looked at my exact location and not just the borough.

ForestHull
14 Jun '18

I’m really glad that you ‘won’ in this case.

I’ve heard that postcode excuse too when challenging insurers as to why the premium had jumped up upon renewal. Generally I find quoting premiums found from those meerkat based sites usually makes for a good discount, and if it doesn’t I’m happy to follow through and change insurer even thought it annoys me to have to do so every few years.

Sherwood
17 Jun '18

Many years ago Ladywell Rec used to flood and adjoining houses got flooded. A have a friend who can remember seeing a policeman rowing a boat along Bromley Road! The GLC (abolished many years ago) installed a flood-prevention scheme through the Rec, which should prevent this happening again.

I cannot see how you could get anything other than localised flooding in a valley on a slope. I mean where roads slope into a valley and the drains cannot cope with the rainfall.