Archived on 6/5/2022

Fly-posting in the underpass

Herbert
21 Jul '17

Having cleaned the underpass previously along with other helpers, I was disappointed to see fly posting a well established local business.

I took one poster down but it seemed to have some adhesive, so it left s bit of a mess.

I understand it was promoting a particular event/night, but pretty poor.

RachaelDunlop
21 Jul '17

Have you raised this with the business in question?

Herbert
21 Jul '17

No, only saw the poster on my way to work. I’ve put the poster in my bag and will raise it.

anon5422159
21 Jul '17

Thanks @Herbert. I’m going to change the title in the meantime, to give the business a chance to respond to your complaint before they are potentially damaged by being named here.

Herbert
21 Jul '17

How will the business respond Chris?

anon5422159
21 Jul '17

When you speak to them, they may have an explanation (the fault may lie with the promoter not the venue). Please hold on until they respond to you before naming and shaming.

Herbert
21 Jul '17

I’m pretty sure that will be their response either way. I don’t think their reply will be “we just want to promote the business and don’t really care how we do it”.

RachaelDunlop
21 Jul '17

Are these fliers for an event held by a third party at the local business’s premises? If so, I’d weigh up whether this a pattern of behaviour by the venue or by the promoter. And consider whether a local business would risk their reputation by despoiling the underpass in this way. I would sincerely hope they wouldn’t.

In whatever light you considered their answer, raising it with them will help ensure it doesn’t happen again, so well done for doing this. It’s hugely frustrating, after the subway was so beautifully cleaned by the volunteers (twice now, if I remember correctly). Thanks for that too!

I too would hold off any naming or shaming, unless it happens again after you’ve raised it with them.