Flying ant day?

Not sure if it’s flying ant day but we have A LOT flying around outside the house!

3 Likes

Yep, they are everywhere!

2 Likes

Ditto. Driving me bonkers. Seems to be the same day ish each year. Why does it happen? It was the same in dulwich this morning.

1 Like

There’s always a reddit flying ant day post so yes that would appear to confirm it is today.

3 Likes
4 Likes

A bit earlier this year compared to previous topics:

July 13th in 2017: Flying Ant Day in SE23
July 16th in 2019: Non human visitors & residents of SE23

I saw that in some parts the ant swarms were dense enough to appear on weather radar!

2 Likes

Certainly saw them in the area yesterday.

Flying Ant Day is a misnomer though, it’s not just one day!

1 Like

Is it though? I think it’s true! Whilst you get ants flying on lots of other days as I think various studies have shown, to my uneducated eye it appears there is a day each year when you have a mass of flying ants (and I guess that day my vary regionally based on weather and conditions). I’m not sure we will have another day like yesterday in SE23 this year for flying ants!

I think there’s always one day where they are heaviest in number but from my cycling commuting days, I seem to recall more than one day in a summer where it happened. That might have been across two different areas - is Brixton’s flying ant day the same as ours? - rather than two separate days here.

2 Likes

This is exactly it. There is one day for each area where the number of ants is clearly at a maximum. But it is a different day for different areas, particularly between towns and countryside, so “Flying Ant Day” can be a bit misleading in that regard.

2 Likes

Apparently the flying ants were so numerous over parts of the south coast today that they showed up as ‘rain’ on the Met Office radar - I think Sky’s headline writers got a little overexcited!

2 Likes

Sounds like flying ant day saved a slow news day!

At least they got a good factoid in the article, which agrees with @neilw:

The Royal Society of Biology points out there is not always one such day, with flying ants spotted on as many as 96% of the days between June and September.

I presume the Royal Society of Biology know this because they keep an eye out from space :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

As if to underscore the “not just one day” point, there’s been a few flying ants around Perry Vale today, three weeks later!

3 Likes

yes it’s flying ant day 2.0 can confirm.

2 Likes

Why do I always seem to be in yellow on flying ant day :see_no_evil:

3 Likes