Archived on 6/5/2022

Forest Croft - what’s it like?

Ellen_H
28 Nov '20

Hello everyone, I’m looking for some local wisdom about Forest Croft - at the top of Taymount Rise.

If there are any current/ recent residents on here who could help I would be v grateful. I’m looking at a flat in there at the moment and would love any insight into what it’s like to live there - how it’s managed - any problems or general comments.

Research suggests it’s had problems with management in the past, and when I looked round there was work going on inside but it is still a bit rough around the edges.

Any insights gratefully received!
Thanks in advance

HannahM
28 Nov '20

Hi Ellen - PM me.

oakr
28 Nov '20

As a just signed up user I don’t think she can - I’ll create a PM between you and then remove myself.

Ellen_H
28 Nov '20

Thank you! I don’t seem to be able to atm.

oakr
28 Nov '20

You should now have a message top right you will see a green sign to indicate this - any issues let me know.

ChrisL
18 Apr '21

Hello,

Sorry to hijack this old thread, but I have the exact same questions as above re looking at moving to Forest Croft and would appreciate any insights.

Many thanks in advance,

Chris

HannahM
18 Apr '21

Chris, you are welcome to PM me too.

NL1
18 Apr '21

Hi Chris,

I live in Forest Croft. Yes, it can be described as a little rough around the edges, but a lot of work has been carried out internally. New smoke/fire detection system, new fire doors and new ceilings.

The management company are a bit hit and miss, I’ve had my own issues with them, but nothing to dramatic. The flats are wonderfully peaceful, I’ve lived here for nearly 12 years and had no issues with noisy neighbors etc.

Compared to other flats in Forest Hill (and certainly London in general) price wise, they offer great value.

If you want to know more feel free to PM me.

JennyLaws
18 Apr '21

Hi Chris,

I’m currently I’m the process of buying in Forest Croft too (waiting to exchange). The management company have been quick with producing paperwork for our purchase and have been impressed so far.

Happy to answer any questions you may have as we probably had similar ones when deciding!

Maybe we will be neighbours soon!

Jenny

Swagger
18 Apr '21

I can’t offer any advice on living in Forest Croft but I lived in Taymount Grange next door and all I’ll say is that, unless you have all of your shopping delivered, make sure you have a set of wheels for doing the weekly shop. It lives up to the area’s namesake of Forest Hill - the Horniman side of the tracks can be very steep.

HannahM
18 Apr '21

I can echo those comments. The flats are spacious and well built and it is a very quiet location.

It is true there has been neglect of the communal areas in the past, which is being steadily being rectified by the current management committee. Also it is nearly 90 year old building with all that entails. If you want easy, “wipe clean” perfect flats then these are not for you.

The current building work you will see is work to replace all internal fire doors and ceilings and upgrade fire stopping to current standards.

HannahM
18 Apr '21

Lightweight! I carry our grocery shopping up there every week. It has done wonders for my core strength and resting heart rate.

Swagger
18 Apr '21

Try doing it after laying 800+ bricks prior to taking on that mini Everest. All dick swinging aside, Hannah, here’s one you can take to the bank. After we had all finished up at Battersea Viewpoint the topping out ceremony got way out of hand and I was so drunk it was a miracle I made it back to Forest Hill on the now defunct service that looped from Victoria to London Bridge. Anyway, to cut a long story short I was too far gone so I ordered a cab to take me from Forest Hill station to the top of Taymount Rise. In spite of the heavy climb I do miss the relative silence on the weekends compared to where I live now (Perry Vale).

HannahM
18 Apr '21

Ha ha! I admit I have a love/hate relationship with the hill.

The peace and quiet and the views are wonderful (especially on bonfire night!) but there have been many occasions when I have cursed having to walk up it!

Also you can always tell Taymount Rise people - they are the ones with the sensible shoes and the resigned expression.

Swagger
18 Apr '21

I don’t know about you but I’m an unashamed snob and I miss the quality of people who live up that way. I’m a conservative with a capital C and found it a little too artsy up that way at first but soon grew fond of the relaxed community at Taymount Grange. I’d move back in a heartbeat if the price was right and I wasn’t fighting for parking.

NL1
18 Apr '21

I too have taken a guilt ridden taxi journey from the station to the flat. The hill can be a swine if you’ve had a good night out, I view the bench half way up Taymount Rise as a halfway house.

maxrocks
18 Apr '21

We’ve lived here for 11 years…it doesn’t get easier but I brace myself for it and try to find patches of pavement that feel less steep :laughing:

HannahM
18 Apr '21

But worth it! We got from a long walk earlier and sat in the living room with the balcony doors open and all you could hear was the birds.

Swagger
18 Apr '21

My flat was east facing at Taymount Grange and I have cosy memories of watching the freak blizzards of early spring in 2018 pummelling the surrounding landscape.

GillB
19 Apr '21

We lived on the Woodvale estate when our children were toddlers. I used to push a double buggy up Westwood Park, & all the hills!
I did need to catch my breath by the time I got to the top, but as you say apart from carrying 2 very small children 19 months apart about, walking up them hills gave me arms like Popeye! :rofl:

ChrisL
19 Apr '21

Thank you all very much for the insights - really really helpful! I’ll also message a couple of you directly but I personally don’t mind the hill aspect, yet… Who knows, after cycling / running up it maybe I’ll curse the decision (or buy a bike with gears!). It’ll certainly make me fitter, that’s for sure. If anyone knows the gradient of the hill, please feel free to put the fear into me!

The peacefulness was something that really struck me on Saturday so I’d happily sacrifice a couple of minutes extra to walk up the hill for it (especially now I know about the halfway house / bench). If anything, getting down it if it’s icy or wet / covered in leaves would be more daunting.

As for the building being older, I would personally prefer that to purpose built new build that lacks a bit of identity, though I can understand why others would feel differently. I also didn’t think it was that rough around the edges, but maybe that says more about me and it sounds like work is being done to remedy that. Hopefully the new build at the rear doesn’t cause any issues.

Thank you all again and good luck @JennyLaws!

Chris

ChrisL
19 Apr '21

Hello @Oakr - I think I have the same issue and am looking to DM a few people in this thread - do you know how I can work around this? Thank you, Chris

ForestHull
19 Apr '21

Hi @ChrisL - I’ve enabled DM for you, see: How to send Private Messages

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

ChrisL
19 Apr '21

Awesome - thank you so much!

Meldrew
19 Apr '21

Michael Gambon once lived in Forest Croft - look what it did for him !