Archived on 6/5/2022

Forest Hill delivery office / Best views of St Paul’s

promofaux
17 Sep '19

Hi folks,

I Need to go to the delivery office tomorrow on my way into work to collect a parcel. Having never been before, and not overly familiar with the area in general, I can’t quite work out how to get there…

Postcode takes me to an estate street nearby… Figured I’d rely on some local knowledge! Will be driving so any tips on where best to park up nearby are appreciated!

oakr
17 Sep '19

You can park in the car park - you do need to get a ticket though just past the fh overground entrance.

From the car park with the rail lines on your right keep walking on the left and the post office is at the back of the industrial estate

promofaux
17 Sep '19

Great stuff, thanks!

oakr
17 Sep '19

No worries. I was typing that on the train, to be clear the ticket machine is in the car park!

promofaux
17 Sep '19

Neat. To be clear, it’s this car park yeah?

oakr
17 Sep '19

Yep!

promofaux
17 Sep '19

I’ve only lived in SE23 for coming up to a year now… I should probably get out and explore more.

oakr
17 Sep '19

I found having a child did that! Suddenly you need to walk around with a pram, with nowhere specific to go, you find lots of things (I found Ladywell Fields!). Random walking like that is something we don’t do much, I did on my travels, and is actually quite enjoyable!

Sherwood
17 Sep '19

I used to have a dog, who took me on random walks.

promofaux
17 Sep '19

Yeah, slowly venturing further from the home, but with so many nice pubs near by… I tend to get distracted!

Happened upon an awesome view of the city from Canonbie Road (steep hill, can’t imagine it would be pleasant with a pram) on my way to the Horniman a few weeks back. I was quite taken aback, though that may have had something to do with reaching the top of the hill.

oakr
17 Sep '19

@Sherwood it’s a reason I’d love a dog, makes you get out of the house for walks etc. I wish I had one.

@promofaux if you’ve not been you really should go to Blythe Hill - great views of the City. Views fro One Tree Hill not bad either.

promofaux
17 Sep '19

I live right next to One Tree Hill, I first experienced it when walking to Honor Oak Park one evening last winter. The cemetery was closed, I was not yet used to the bus timetable down here, and did not fancy the prospect of walking all the way down to Forest Hill Rd and back up.

It was pitch black, I had no idea where I was going, and needless to say, I had the fear. Got spooked by a dog walker up the top. Practically ran down the other side. Gave up smoking after that (for a bit, in any case!) 10/10.

Have been back there to explore during the day. Some great little picnic spots if you wander off the path, even found a couple of rope swings

Have heard great things about Blythe Hill. Perhaps I shall make it my next wandering destination.

Sherwood
18 Sep '19

You can see St Paul’s Cathedral from Horniman Hill.

RobA
19 Sep '19

A bit out of our postcode, but the view to St. Paul’s from the right viewing point in Nunhead Cemetery is wonderful. Sorry a little off topic.

promofaux
20 Sep '19

Ah yes, I’ve walked passed Nunhead cemetery many a time, usually when transporting myself from the Waverley to the Ivy House, but never been in. Will be sure to check it out!

Not anymore.