Archived on 6/5/2022

Forest Hill Focus

Pauline
7 Dec '16

I know this is a Lib Dems newsletter, but I’ve added it to this category instead of Politicos as it’s mainly about FH issues (library, FH sinkholes, FH trains etc), and se23.life has a little mention too :slight_smile:

anon5422159
7 Dec '16

If that’s from you, many thanks, @JohnRussell :+1:

JohnRussell
7 Dec '16

Chris,
Your most welcome. I struggle to get the time to post here as much as I should but I do read lots of posts. A great forum.

John

Baboonery
8 Dec '16

A LibDem mailout without an openly fraudulent bar chart? Whatever next?

RachaelDunlop
8 Dec '16

Oi. Keep that sort of thing in Politicos please.

Michael
8 Dec '16

I can’t think of much more political than the full text of a leaflet from a political party.

RachaelDunlop
8 Dec '16

I agree, and if there’s a way of cropping it to the relevant section, that would a good. Otherwise I imagine people will only read the bit about the library and ignore the rest so no harm done.

Baboonery
8 Dec '16

If we’re going to shill for a party because they want to attract some love by putting an Apple Pie issue in their newsletter, it’s positively ridiculous to get irked about a light-hearted comment about that party’s predelictions in the same publications.

RachaelDunlop
8 Dec '16

@Baboonery: ‘Light-hearted’ comments about the lies (or not) told by political parties belongs in Politicos. House rules.

I wasn’t irked by that, but if you’re going down the ‘some people just can’t take a joke’ route, I will be. That, not patriotism, is the last refuge of the scoundrel.

Baboonery
8 Dec '16

Far from it.

However, if we’re being that strict, I don’t see any earthly way that reproducing a piece of party political propaganda doesn’t belong in politicos. Ah, it’s because they’re being nice about us? Right.

RachaelDunlop
8 Dec '16

Actually, I had to think hard about whether the moderators should challenge it or not. It didn’t go without consideration. In the end I came down on the side of assuming people would take the positive affirmation for the library, for which many people have worked extremely hard, and ignore the political context. I kinda think if you hadn’t drawn attention to it, no one would have considered it an endorsement for the LibDems. Entirely open to being proved wrong.

The other @moderators may or may not agree with my stance on this (we are a broad church).

Baboonery
8 Dec '16

I wasn’t even the first person to make the point on the thread.

RachaelDunlop
8 Dec '16

Eh? If you’re referring to the OP I suppose that’s technically correct.

Anyway, since both you and Michael have commented, the team will take this into consideration the next time there is a posting like this. If you want to raise any issue, just include @moderators in your post and we’ll respond. All moderating here is transparent and we do try to be as fair and balance as possible.

@ chrisbeach Perhaps this entire thread should now be moved to Politicos?

Baboonery
8 Dec '16

I made a joke about the usual contents of a LibDem focus. Michael followed up by suggesting a party political leaflet should be in politicos. Which I then picked up and ran with. On the basis that it was a better and more fundamental point than mine was.

RachaelDunlop
8 Dec '16

I’ve already acknowledged you have a point and we’ll take it into consideration. Can we leave at that?

Foresthillnick
8 Dec '16

This sort of crap reminds me why I don’t sub to politicos.
Perfectly happy about the newsletter which has a tiny bit of politics, but the reaction reminds me why I am perfectly happy not to hear other people bang on about politics…
If anyone is that offended then it is very easy to remove the top bit about Brexit - it’s only an image
Or we could just very easily ignore the political overtones
For those offended by any sight of politics

Is that better?

Baboonery
8 Dec '16

Well done. big round of applause

I’m not in politicos either, by the way.

Foresthillnick
8 Dec '16

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/b2/b277d5e4b3997f1861cc64b53f1906564c8303d9d8e37d821db02098b3551f8f.jpg
:wink:

Michael
8 Dec '16

The problem in my mind is setting a precedent when another party want their leaflet on the main section of the forum because it is about relevant issues (not ‘political’ issues) from a political party.

My concern would have been the same for any political leaflet outside the politicos area, but then I’ve never been a fan of duplicate threads about the same issue - one with and one without ‘politics’. It is a false division in my view, but I accept the majority decision on the forum was to keep politics as a separate section (so long as it is applied equally and not just picking on Chris).

RachaelDunlop
8 Dec '16

@Michael - that’s a very valid point.

Can one of the admins with access to the closed groups move this thread to Politicos please? @anon5422159 @Londondrz

Londondrz
8 Dec '16

On my phone atm so will have to wait till I get in or CB sorts it out.

Michael
8 Dec '16

I moved it!

Pauline
8 Dec '16

I didn’t mean to cause a stir with my OP!

I posted it because of the general FH issues & NOT for political reasons.

anon5422159
8 Dec '16

Thanks @RachaelDunlop and @Michael.

It’s right to set a precedent for posts from political parties.

This leaflet wasn’t overly partisan, but future leaflets from other parties could be.