The SE23 community is organising a brand new mural to welcome people to Forest Hill. Here’s the latest on our progress:
Run Crowdfunder: 8th January, running for six weeks
- @Pauline spoke with Ed from Network Rail on 5/12 & all is good to go with them
- Ed will email @Pauline on 6/12 with any further info needed. Since @Lionel is doing the artwork, all that’s needed is for his risk assessment (Ed & Lionel have worked together on other similar projects in the Borough) to be tweaked to suit FH & a few other minor details
Required for Network Rail permission.
Cleaning the wall: Late Feb (volunteers required)
Arrange parking for the artist’s van: Late Feb (help required)
Painting: March (outdoor painting is technically more difficult in winter, so we’re scheduling for Spring)
Colour / variant selection:
Selected a site: the rail bridge underpass on Waldram Crescent (AKA South Circular)
Lined up our first willing artist with a quote and mulitple design variants ready to put to the vote.
Secured permissions in principle
Secured our first major donors in principle
Finished call for designs
- We have mockups from @Lionel in the traditional rail style with two colour options, and a fun walrussy variant created by @Armadillo, which Lionel has confirmed he’s able to paint.
- A prominent local street artist responded to say she supported @Lionel’s bid so would not be submitting a design of her own.
- A local designer has submitted a design. No artist/quote was submitted before the deadline so this design will not be featured in the vote
Designing the voting process
- The (opt-in) @FH_Mural group decided how voting will work for design and colour options.
- Painting: £2,000 for traditional / £2,250 for traditional on slant with walrus
Maintenance Fund: £250for accounting reasons we’ll collect only the sum for the painting
- Crowdfunding: Up to 12% in crowdfunding site fees + transaction fees
The site for this mural will be Waldram Crescent (AKA South Circular) under the railway bridge, on the Eastern side as indicated here:
Crowdfunders sometimes offer rewards to donors. We anticipate that this fantastic new community asset will be reward enough, but SE23.life will also publicly list significant donors on our website. We’ll also offer free promotional posts on SE23.life to any companies pledging £12 or more.
Want to Help?
To get involved in this exciting project, please opt in here to gain access to our “FH Mural” category.
This is a wiki-topic, editable by all established SE23.life members.