Forest Hill Pools

The latest with the pools is:

1. The showers are not working, or work intermittently
  2. About half the lockers don’t work, for one reason or another

and with the gym

1. The changing facilities are still closed
  2. About half the machines are inoperable for one reason or another.

The problem appears to be a lack of maintenance but it is looking pretty grim at the moment. Given that these are public facilities then it must be expected that there will be wear and tear, and that some users will be thoughtless and inconsiderate. A management response would be to look for strategies to address these issues. My impression is that either there is not a management gaze seeking to do this, or that resources are not made available to local management. This would suggest that Fusion should be seeking to deal with one or other of these.

1 Like

Several of the defective locks and keys in the pool changing area have recently been replaced, I was glad to see.

Last week, out of five hairdriers only one was working. And the blue shoe covers are hardly ever in stock.

1 Like

I’ve for a very long time had a bee in my bonnet about Fusions terrible running of what was when I moved here a brand new long awaited local amenity.
I used to attend the pool and gym and complained many times in person and via posts relating to the pools on the forum.
Its actually really upsetting tbh seeing the place falling apart.
I really think we should get our local councillors involved in putting pressure on Fusion who are being given money to run the place out of our council tax.
This pool was purpose built and brand new not that long ago-now its a disgrace.
the gym is barely fit for purpose

5 Likes

I decided to risk it again last weekend, I hadn’t been to the pool since May. And was unpleasantly not surprised at the continued issues around maintenance and cleanliness.

To be fair
The toilet seats were fixed
There were a couple of new clean bins
I found a locker that worked.
Showers not too hot anymore

On the down side
I found tiny black worms/creatures wriggling around the base of the changing cublicle stands, amongst urine/sulphur smelling water. Nearly all the stands had water around them, even when the floor nearby was dry. Could something be leaking from below? Flagged it to receptionist and took a video of the wrigglers.

Both shower cubicles now have broken push buttons so unusable.
Old rusty bins still there
Loads of lockers with keys missing/broken
Water still collecting either side of the drain in big puddles as the drain sits just higher than the floor.

So lots of work to be done!

1 Like

The toilets in the lobby are usually OK and are a useful public service, especially when the library is closed. However I was annoyed to see that the disabled toilet is out of action. I had a spell of using crutches earlier this year, so I know how important is access to a disabled toilet. And whereas able-bodied people can use a disabled loo, the reverse is not true. What are people in wheel-chairs etc supposed to do? Stay at home?

4 Likes

This is why I gave up on the pools.
Just So filthy and badly maintained I felt my health was at risk going there.
And I never felt safe in the Pool
I’d forgotten about the urine smelling changing rooms :nauseated_face:
How can we flag this to a local councellor to get it back on track in terms of cleanliness and maintainence?
I remember Maya was very active in the pools at one point-something needs to be done its such an awful shame its so badly run.
Reception are useless I flagged up used sanitary products on floor of toilet but they looked at me as if to say “and your problem is?”

2 Likes

Councillor @SophieDavis posted in May further up on the thread- not sure if she is still looking into it but might be worth contacting her though she may reply on here.

2 Likes

thank you I just messaged her to refer to thread

Hello All, thank you as always about the comments around the cleanliness of the facilities etc. Apologies for the delay in response but we were waiting for our accounts password to be reset.

The centre manager was on shift last weekend when the wrigglers were discovered, it appears that something might have been spilled near one of the rubber feet which holds up the private changing cubicle and it’s gone under the rubber foot and attracted some fruit fly larvae. They checked all of the other ones and the problem was isolated to one “foot”, which we immediately sprayed with disinfectant and cleaned thoroughly.

As for the urine smell, we investigated this and the smell was coming from the drain, which we have also thoroughly cleaned and rinsed through with chemically treated water.

As for water being present on the floor, it is a wet side changing room and with the heavy foot fall it is unfortunately not within our power to keep the floors dry at all times, however we will add extra mopping to the regular staff duties when we experience a higher foot fall.

The centre manager has also added “Please accept my sincerest apologies, I will endeavour to ensure high standards of cleanliness throughout our facilities.”

5 Likes

Have any of the hairdryers been fixed? Last week all six were out of order, it’s not nice walking home at 9pm with dripping wet hair, especially now it’s getting colder.
Also, during adult lane swimming, both ends of the lane were blocked off by people standing around - teenagers chatting at one end (they didn’t swim at all) and a couple doing exercises at the other across the whole width of the lane. It makes it tricky to swim properly when you can’t reach the end of the pool to push away. The lifeguards on duty were just chatting to each other and didn’t notice.
The general hygiene standards are gross. There are always discarded plasters in the showers (when they are working) for instance.
And are you aware that some of your staff don’t charge people when they arrive? A couple of weeks ago I was given a free swim because the girl on reception was chatting to her mate on the phone and just glanced over her shoulder and said “have this one on us” when I went to pay! I would rather pay and have the money go towards half-decent facilities…

7 Likes

While it is good to have a response on issues, I think the running of the facility (if you can call it that) is severely lacking. Having a reason for all of the above issues doesn’t make it as acceptable.
I have twice turned up with a child and due to a shortage of staff we couldn’t go to the pool.
This just doesn’t happen at the other numerous places around.
I have now given up going to this local place which is a Real shame and know of many others through the plethora of forums we have who have done the same.

7 Likes

I had the same experience turning up for classes I’d dashed home from work to attend to be told ‘no teacher-its cancelled’ and this after queuing for 10 mins to pay for the class as the sole receptionist was run ragged answering phones and dealing with other things.
Once I stood for 10 miniutes in the class with a bunch of other people having changed etc to be told by a staff member it was cancelled we then had to queue again to get refunds.
Its just not good enough.
I finally gave up after years of all the things mentioned above-giving second chances as new managers came and went and promises were made that things would improve.
As previously mentioned by myself I feel upset and angry that my local long looked forward to gym and pool is so woefully badly run that I travel to attend others.
I’ve even heard the customers blamed for the filth and broken things …that may be so but having attended council run gyms and pools all over london (Hackney,Paddington,brent) I very rarely encounter the amount of filth and lack of maintinece as I do here .
I very much doubt that SE23 residents are the filthiest and most destructive in the whole of london but blame it instead on cutting staffing levels and cutting corners to retain maximum profitability.

3 Likes

I cancelled my membership to FH Pools this week - it’s an absolute shambles of a place. Disgusting, filthy, run down and gym machines and changing rooms constantly broken.

How Fusion still have the contract to run the place I have no idea! I’ll be happy to wash my hands of the place and not have to return.

2 Likes

Hello I just just wondered if as a representative of Lewisham council who awarded the contract to Fusion to run our local gyms and pools you had anything to add reading through the above statements?
It breaks my heart that a relatively new custom built amenity that we the council tax payers have helped to fund should be allow to be run so badly that us-the local community now cease to use it.
Could Any ‘improvement notice’ be put into place by the council to ensure that things do finally change?

3 Likes

I was there this morning for swimming and although it was early enough for things still to be relatively clean, the place felt very rundown. At least one of the shower buttons was still broken and the shower temperature was very hot and uncontrollable. The top of one of the taps in the ladies was broken. Some of the wristbands on the locker keys were broken so you couldn’t wear them. Given that the pools have only been open 7 years and were a brand new facility, I find it very disappointing that the complex is already in such poor repair.

Interestingly I went to Brockwell Lido for the first time last week. The fabric of the pool there seems quite decrepit ( I suppose it’s a 1930s pool, although has had a lot of refurbishment done since 2000s) but the changing rooms were also a mess and appeared dilapidated. I later realised Brockwell is also run by Fusion, which makes me think there is a general issue with the way they operate and the standards they maintain that goes beyond FH pools.

2 Likes

Why attack someone who is concerned about the state of a public asset and the way it is managed? In the absence of opposition Councillors or a serious local newspaper, this forum is one of the few places where these matters can be aired.

5 Likes

Yes, you’re right. My post was ill-judged. I apologise to MaxRocks.

2 Likes

Are there any plans to fix the dillapadated and broken gym equipment? It’s very poor compared to cheaper competitors which doesn’t make sense given the gym has council subsidy.

2 Likes

Actually the vast majority of local authority leisure centres nowadays see the operator paying the council for the opportunity to run the facility.

1 Like