Archived on 6/5/2022

Forest Hill Pools [2019]

SophieDavis
26 Jan '19

:information_source: Continues: Forest Hill Pools [2020]

Hi all,

Many of you have written to us/ posted messages on here and Twitter about issues at Forest Hill Pools. We have passed on all of your complaints and have spoken to council officers; I am also due to meet Fusion representatives shortly and will then post an update on this forum. In addition, we’ve arranged for representatives from Fusion and Lewisham Council to attend the next Forest Hill Assembly to address residents’ questions. It’s on 16th February at 1.30pm (venue TBC) - please come along to put your questions to them.

Thanks,
Councillor Sophie Davis

anon5422159
26 Jan '19

Thanks @SophieDavis :+1:

All - I will close the previous mega topic discussing Forest Hill pools so the conversation can continue here.

appletree
26 Jan '19

Thanks. I want to join a gym but won’t join this one under current circumstances.

maxrocks
28 Jan '19

I agree with the above. Im amazed Fusion still have the contract when the pools are so very badly run.
I used to use the pool regularly but finally gave up as the changing areas and ladies toilets were filthy and pool badly monitored
Classes were always cancelled at the last miniute, gym equipment out of order for ages and calls to reception to enquire about classes (i.e.; is my class happening or not?) often involved hanging on for ages or reception staff being clueless.
such a shame as its a relatively new facility and I was delighted when it opened but after putting up with the filth and poor management for 3 years I have given up and won’t return until I hear its being properly run

SophieDavis
11 Feb '19

Hi all,

Just a reminder that Fusion are attending the Assembly this Saturday 16th February (1.30pm-3.30pm at FH Pools). If you’re unable to attend but would like a question asked, please email me at cllr_sophie.davis@lewisham.gov.uk.

I will then post a summary of what was discussed at the Assembly, as well as my meetings with Fusion and council officers on this and other local forums.

Many thanks,
Sophie

Beige
11 Feb '19

Yeah, me too. I suspect councils fail to hire and incentivise sufficient numbers of proficient staff to negotiate with and monitor the contractors. I have a feeling they often treat contracted out services as if they don’t need to worry about the service or contract until it becomes time to renegotiate.

maxrocks
11 Feb '19

fusion lost their contract with southwark a few years ago.

SophieDavis
26 Feb '19

Hi all,

As you know, we (councillors) received a number of complaints regarding Forest Hill Pools. I met Lance Codling (FH Pools Manager), Lee Clark (Lewisham Divisional Manager) and responsible Council officers to discuss the issues.

I also invited Fusion to attend our Assembly meeting last weekend, to address residents. Below is a quick summary of what was discussed (as well as what I have been told separately) regarding specific issues.

• Gym equipment not working: All bar one of the machines have now been fixed. Fusion had issues with their subcontractor and FH Pools are now using a different one.

• Diving blocks not working: They are currently being repaired.

• Barriers not working: Staff are waiting on a date for repair - should be done within the next few weeks.

• Insufficient classes (yoga and Pilates), classes being scheduled at the wrong time (eg at school pick up) and being regularly cancelled: Fusion are currently looking for instructors; the class programme is being reviewed and a new one will be in place in April. Customer surveys are being done in advance of that. The policy is to cover classes cancelled due to annual leave and to let all customers who have booked know.

• Locker thefts (which mostly took place in the Autumn): Improved security has been put in place (while CCVT cannot of course be installed in wet changing rooms, staff are monitoring them more closely). Staff have apprehended the culprit and the matter has been referred to the Police. We (councillors) are following this up with FH Police.

• Staff shortages: Fusion continue to look for staff. They are currently running a lifeguard course as well as apprenticeships.

• Poor level of cleanliness: Fusion have cleaners in for 4 hours of the day and staff and complementing this as and when necessary; they will be more vigilant about people wearing overshoes in changing rooms.

• Water temperature (too low): There was a boiler issue, which is now fixed. The contract with Lewisham includes a self monitoring system - Fusion have to notify Lewisham every time the water falls below the required level.

• Lack of engagement with customers: Lance Codling holds a monthly “meet the manager” and Fusion carry out user and non user surveys.

• Plastic merchandise being sold in the lobby - There are mixed views on this (some people like them, while others don’t). In the past, Fusion had toys and books in the lobby but those got damaged easily. They will look into providing a better mix.

• Pool use for children with disabilities: Fusion will look into this more.

• Loud music in gyms: Staff can change it if customers speak to them.

• Fusion financial position: Lance Codling referred this to Fusion directors. Councillors will make sure that the wider financial position (and the question of whether poor performance is due to pressure to cut costs) is raised at the next meeting between officers and Fusion directors.

Lewisham Council officers have told me that they are aware of residents’ concerns and are working hard to address them, applying the strictest monitoring regime available within the contract (including financial penalties where the service does not mean the minimum standard) and meeting Fusion directors regularly. We (councillors) are in regular contact with officers to highlight issues, apply pressure and discuss what more can be done.

We will also continue to liaise with Fusion (directly at the local level and via officers at the corporate level) and to monitor the situation and track improvements (and of course hold them to specific commitments). Please continue to send us your comments (good or bad), as well as sending them directly to Lewisham Council, and we will continue to keep you informed on here.

Many thanks,

Sophie

FusionLewisham
12 Mar '19

Hello All,

As part of our ongoing development at the centre we have recently launched a 60+ afternoon at the centre. The sessions will run every Friday with a social element running from 1.15-2.15pm. The social element is free, and is open to members and non members. This social session follows the 60+ Pilates class. Please can you let anyone you feel would benefit about this know.

We thank you for your patience around the other issues, but are taking positive steps forward to enhance what we do for the residents of Forest Hill

SophieDavis
8 May '19

Hi all,

You may be aware that a serious leak/flood has occurred at Forest Hill pools, which has led to water coming through into reception from somewhere in the first floor shower/toilets facilities.

The Council is aware and officers have attended the site and are liaising with Fusion and technical advisers to agree on a course remedial action.

The latest we know is that the first floor changing rooms and disabled toilets have been taken out of service and that water to the area has been turned off to prevent further waste from being discharged. The lockers, gym, studios and community room on the first floor are still all accessible. The opportunity will be taken to conduct a deep clean of the first floor changing areas and the reception area below.

In order to address the issue a further independent survey of the pipework is being commissioned by the Council and, once the root cause has been identified, work should proceed promptly.

We will pass on any more updates we receive from officers, and Fusion.

On a wider note, since Fusion attended our Assembly meeting, Council officers have been meeting with Fusion directors, who have now agreed to a remedial plan. More details of this will be shared shortly, to enable residents to track and report on progress.

Many thanks,
Sophie (Cllr Sophie Davis)

maxrocks
8 May '19

I’m sorry but I find it shocking that Fusion have managed to retain the contract for Lewisham leisure services.
I joined the pools when they opened but after 2 years of problems with hygiene maintenance and class cancellations at short or no notice I gave up and joined elsewhere.
This is a relatively new building and the fact that things like this should happen is shocking. I’ve regularly attended swimming and gym in original victorian buildings and had none of these kind of problems.

SisterMidnight
9 May '19

I went to spin once… struggled to find a bike that worked! Clearly not spending the money there. Are councils stuck with Fusion as a provider? It’s a shame as people will go elsewhere…

Fishingcat
11 May '19

I quit my Forest Hill Pools membership in disgust in 2016 after all six of the first floor women’s showers were out of order for over six months. Fusion just didn’t seem to care and blamed it on a dispute between the council and the building contractor (Wilmot Dixon). Disgraceful situation. I’d been considering rejoining (presumably the showers were eventually fixed :unamused:) but certainly won’t be doing so now.

CHfigaro
12 May '19

Typically these leisure management contracts last for 10 years or more

Hamish
13 May '19

To be frank, we’ve been hearing the same excuses and resolutions pretty much since the pools opened. What should have been a positive focus for the neighbourhood, something to be proud of and of course somewhere that might help address ongoing society health issues; has sadly fallen well short. As a parent it is an endurance to take children to lessons. The rank uncleanliness, shoddy upkeep, lack of adequate administration, continuing breakages and out of orders; are absolutely not good enough. The council need to take matters in hand as things will only get worse. Which will reflect bad on their management of the situation.

PV
13 May '19

The gym is terrible compared to energie fitness over the road and costs more to use. It also compared very poorly to brockwell lido which has a great gym and a spa for roughly the same price as first hill pools. If there is any way for the council to intervene they should be doing so.

robin.orton
13 May '19

I just don’t recognise this negative picture. My wife and I go to the over-sixties swimming sessions every Monday and Thursday morning and love it.

Cari_Hoskins
14 May '19

Try going to the poolside toilets in the evening. At least one toilet is always broken, wet tissue all over the floor, normally a big poo in one and wee all over the seats. If these are really being cleaned regularly then patrons of the pool must have disgusting toilet manners!

And they still can’t figure out how to put a thermostats on the showers, always boiling hot!

Londondrz
14 May '19

I walked into a cubicle that had a babies soiled nappy stuck to the side of the cubicle. When I brought this to the attention of a staff member I was told that sadly it happens quite a lot. I am not surprised some of the staff looked demotivated a lot of the time.

Dave
15 May '19

Agreed. The staff didn’t put that nappy on the wall, and nor presumably did they cover the toilet with urine.

It must be incredibly hard to motivate the team there when members of the public are simultaneously massively demanding and hugely dismissive of the efforts of the staff.

Cari_Hoskins
15 May '19

So I went for a swim yesterday and counted all the issues not caused by the public.
2 showers broken
5 locker locks broken
2 diving boards broken
Ceiling panels missing
Dustbins overflowing and all rusty
Big puddles forming where drains don’t lie flush with the floor
Disabled toilet out of use
Toilet seat in ladies toilets fallen off and left hanging
2 changing cubicles with broken locks

Then problems caused by the public
Blue shoe covers all over the floor
One soiled toilet

So what’s the verdict? Methinks the public is not the main issue here!

Londondrz
16 May '19

Question is, who caused the damage? Can you imagine working in an environment where some members of the public really don’t care and abuse you. Ask a member of staff there if they have ever faced abuse. The answer may suprise you.

FusionLewisham
16 May '19

Hello All,

Thank you for all your messages RE cleanliness issues that you’ve identified. The centre manager at the site has been working through this and have provided an update

2 showers broken - All the showers on the first floor are in working order, however one is missing a press button, which has now been logged.
5 locker locks broken - We do have some lockers out of order, I will raise this our maintenance manager, I’ve tasked a staff member with examining them all so we have exact numbers.
2 diving boards broken - We do have two broken diving blocks, this has been logged and we are awaiting a quote. The swimming club are aware, but rarely use them. So at this stage whilst frustrating that they are broken they are not interrupting service.
Ceiling panels missing - There are ceiling panels missing due to the ongoing leaks (referenced in original post) that we’ve been dealing with, once the plumbing is fixed we will replace them all.
Dustbins overflowing and all rusty -The dust bins today aren’t overflowing but they are rusty, I will get some new ones ordered.
Big puddles forming where drains don’t lie flush with the floor - Best I can tell there a normal amount of water on the floor right now that you’d expect to see where there are pool and shower facilities.
Disabled toilet out of use - This is again due to the plumbing difficulties, however there are two disabled access toilets on the ground floor that were taking out of commission years ago due to faulty installation.
Toilet seat in ladies toilets fallen off and left hanging - All the toilet seats are in working order.
2 changing cubicles with broken locks - The ones I checked are ok, though some were in use so I haven’t been able to check them all yet.

We will continue to keep an eye on all these issues identified and will continue to work to ensure the building is clean and well maintained.

PV
16 May '19

Any comment on how poor quality yet expensive the gym is compared to other nearby gyms?

anon5422159
16 May '19

@FusionLewisham thanks for the detailed response to the feedback on this topic, and also to those who’ve taken the time to make constructive points that Fusion can act on.

Cari_Hoskins
16 May '19

Yes thanks for the detailed response, nice to know the concerns are being listened to. I disagree with the water on the floor, it was clearly not draining properly, with low numbers of swimmers it shouldn’t be that wet and slippery.
That is a massive amount of plumbing issues, and the showers are still too hot, I got a nasty shock mid shower when it suddenly went scalding then returned to a constant just about manageable hot. No other pool I’ve been to have had this level of problems with plumbing, that’s about 20 pools all over London, Surrey, Bristol and the South West. How are they managing to get it all working yet Fusion aren’t?

And I maintain the loo seat was falling off! I know because I nearly fell off with it!

maxrocks
16 May '19

I’m sorry but I really don’t believe this is all the fault of the patrons.
I regularly go to council run gyms in southwark and Westminster where I work and in 2 years have NEVER EVER encountered the amount of dirt,cancelled classes and broken equipment and amenities that I did in the 2 years I regularly attended FHP. I stuck with the pools for 2 years despite all the problems listed above because of Fusion’s managements constant assurances that things would change, new management, more staff, etc etc
nothing changed and finally after nearly hurting myself slipping on the floor and finding yet again a filthy changing cubicle I decided I was being taken for a mug and stopped wasting my money and joined a well run gym. its worth the travel just to know I can pee in a clean toilet and find a machine that works or attend a class without it being cancelled at the last miniute.
I don’t believe Forest Hill has the dirtiest rudest patrons in London so I think somehow fusion are to blame for the lamentable state of this relatively new custom built facility

DevonishForester
12 Jun '19

I went to the gym last Friday, the first floor was like a crime scene - both changing rooms taped off and out of use.

The very loud music is an ongoing disincentive for me using the gym. When the issue was raised at the Forest Hill Assembly, the manager said it’s “industry standard” to have loud music in gyms, in other words everyone does it. That isn’t a reason to do anything, but it is a way of brushing off your customers. It would be great if they could have two hours a day in the off-peak, say 13.00 -15.00 when the music is switched off. Even if I try wearing ear buds and listening to my own music, the stuff coming through the speakers just obliterates it.

FusionLewisham
12 Jun '19

Thank you for your suggestion about the gym music. We will look into this and get back to you

DevonishForester
14 Jun '19

That’s great, I can’t be the only one who might want to listen to an audio book or podcast which currently isn’t possible.

[edited 10th July]

Another thing I would like to suggest: please would it be possible to get a table tennis table - bookable by the hour?

Paul_R
24 Jul '19

What’s the latest about the pools? Have the issues with the changing rooms been resolved? I haven’t been in some time and was hoping for an update here.

Kipya
10 Aug '19

The latest with the pools is:

1. The showers are not working, or work intermittently
  2. About half the lockers don’t work, for one reason or another

and with the gym

1. The changing facilities are still closed
  2. About half the machines are inoperable for one reason or another.

The problem appears to be a lack of maintenance but it is looking pretty grim at the moment. Given that these are public facilities then it must be expected that there will be wear and tear, and that some users will be thoughtless and inconsiderate. A management response would be to look for strategies to address these issues. My impression is that either there is not a management gaze seeking to do this, or that resources are not made available to local management. This would suggest that Fusion should be seeking to deal with one or other of these.

robin.orton
10 Aug '19

Several of the defective locks and keys in the pool changing area have recently been replaced, I was glad to see.

Jalapeno
10 Aug '19

Last week, out of five hairdriers only one was working. And the blue shoe covers are hardly ever in stock.

maxrocks
13 Aug '19

I’ve for a very long time had a bee in my bonnet about Fusions terrible running of what was when I moved here a brand new long awaited local amenity.
I used to attend the pool and gym and complained many times in person and via posts relating to the pools on the forum.
Its actually really upsetting tbh seeing the place falling apart.
I really think we should get our local councillors involved in putting pressure on Fusion who are being given money to run the place out of our council tax.
This pool was purpose built and brand new not that long ago-now its a disgrace.
the gym is barely fit for purpose

Cari_Hoskins
14 Aug '19

I decided to risk it again last weekend, I hadn’t been to the pool since May. And was unpleasantly not surprised at the continued issues around maintenance and cleanliness.

To be fair
The toilet seats were fixed
There were a couple of new clean bins
I found a locker that worked.
Showers not too hot anymore

On the down side
I found tiny black worms/creatures wriggling around the base of the changing cublicle stands, amongst urine/sulphur smelling water. Nearly all the stands had water around them, even when the floor nearby was dry. Could something be leaking from below? Flagged it to receptionist and took a video of the wrigglers.

Both shower cubicles now have broken push buttons so unusable.
Old rusty bins still there
Loads of lockers with keys missing/broken
Water still collecting either side of the drain in big puddles as the drain sits just higher than the floor.

So lots of work to be done!

Carole
15 Aug '19

The toilets in the lobby are usually OK and are a useful public service, especially when the library is closed. However I was annoyed to see that the disabled toilet is out of action. I had a spell of using crutches earlier this year, so I know how important is access to a disabled toilet. And whereas able-bodied people can use a disabled loo, the reverse is not true. What are people in wheel-chairs etc supposed to do? Stay at home?

maxrocks
16 Aug '19

This is why I gave up on the pools.
Just So filthy and badly maintained I felt my health was at risk going there.
And I never felt safe in the Pool
I’d forgotten about the urine smelling changing rooms :nauseated_face:
How can we flag this to a local councellor to get it back on track in terms of cleanliness and maintainence?
I remember Maya was very active in the pools at one point-something needs to be done its such an awful shame its so badly run.
Reception are useless I flagged up used sanitary products on floor of toilet but they looked at me as if to say “and your problem is?”

oakr
17 Aug '19

Councillor @SophieDavis posted in May further up on the thread- not sure if she is still looking into it but might be worth contacting her though she may reply on here.

maxrocks
17 Aug '19

thank you I just messaged her to refer to thread

FusionLewisham
19 Aug '19

Hello All, thank you as always about the comments around the cleanliness of the facilities etc. Apologies for the delay in response but we were waiting for our accounts password to be reset.

The centre manager was on shift last weekend when the wrigglers were discovered, it appears that something might have been spilled near one of the rubber feet which holds up the private changing cubicle and it’s gone under the rubber foot and attracted some fruit fly larvae. They checked all of the other ones and the problem was isolated to one “foot”, which we immediately sprayed with disinfectant and cleaned thoroughly.

As for the urine smell, we investigated this and the smell was coming from the drain, which we have also thoroughly cleaned and rinsed through with chemically treated water.

As for water being present on the floor, it is a wet side changing room and with the heavy foot fall it is unfortunately not within our power to keep the floors dry at all times, however we will add extra mopping to the regular staff duties when we experience a higher foot fall.

The centre manager has also added “Please accept my sincerest apologies, I will endeavour to ensure high standards of cleanliness throughout our facilities.”

Isabel_Rene
19 Aug '19

Have any of the hairdryers been fixed? Last week all six were out of order, it’s not nice walking home at 9pm with dripping wet hair, especially now it’s getting colder.
Also, during adult lane swimming, both ends of the lane were blocked off by people standing around - teenagers chatting at one end (they didn’t swim at all) and a couple doing exercises at the other across the whole width of the lane. It makes it tricky to swim properly when you can’t reach the end of the pool to push away. The lifeguards on duty were just chatting to each other and didn’t notice.
The general hygiene standards are gross. There are always discarded plasters in the showers (when they are working) for instance.
And are you aware that some of your staff don’t charge people when they arrive? A couple of weeks ago I was given a free swim because the girl on reception was chatting to her mate on the phone and just glanced over her shoulder and said “have this one on us” when I went to pay! I would rather pay and have the money go towards half-decent facilities…

Charlo
19 Aug '19

While it is good to have a response on issues, I think the running of the facility (if you can call it that) is severely lacking. Having a reason for all of the above issues doesn’t make it as acceptable.
I have twice turned up with a child and due to a shortage of staff we couldn’t go to the pool.
This just doesn’t happen at the other numerous places around.
I have now given up going to this local place which is a Real shame and know of many others through the plethora of forums we have who have done the same.

maxrocks
20 Aug '19

I had the same experience turning up for classes I’d dashed home from work to attend to be told ‘no teacher-its cancelled’ and this after queuing for 10 mins to pay for the class as the sole receptionist was run ragged answering phones and dealing with other things.
Once I stood for 10 miniutes in the class with a bunch of other people having changed etc to be told by a staff member it was cancelled we then had to queue again to get refunds.
Its just not good enough.
I finally gave up after years of all the things mentioned above-giving second chances as new managers came and went and promises were made that things would improve.
As previously mentioned by myself I feel upset and angry that my local long looked forward to gym and pool is so woefully badly run that I travel to attend others.
I’ve even heard the customers blamed for the filth and broken things …that may be so but having attended council run gyms and pools all over london (Hackney,Paddington,brent) I very rarely encounter the amount of filth and lack of maintinece as I do here .
I very much doubt that SE23 residents are the filthiest and most destructive in the whole of london but blame it instead on cutting staffing levels and cutting corners to retain maximum profitability.

Tom_Love
20 Aug '19

I cancelled my membership to FH Pools this week - it’s an absolute shambles of a place. Disgusting, filthy, run down and gym machines and changing rooms constantly broken.

How Fusion still have the contract to run the place I have no idea! I’ll be happy to wash my hands of the place and not have to return.

maxrocks
20 Aug '19

Hello I just just wondered if as a representative of Lewisham council who awarded the contract to Fusion to run our local gyms and pools you had anything to add reading through the above statements?
It breaks my heart that a relatively new custom built amenity that we the council tax payers have helped to fund should be allow to be run so badly that us-the local community now cease to use it.
Could Any ‘improvement notice’ be put into place by the council to ensure that things do finally change?

Rosered
20 Aug '19

I was there this morning for swimming and although it was early enough for things still to be relatively clean, the place felt very rundown. At least one of the shower buttons was still broken and the shower temperature was very hot and uncontrollable. The top of one of the taps in the ladies was broken. Some of the wristbands on the locker keys were broken so you couldn’t wear them. Given that the pools have only been open 7 years and were a brand new facility, I find it very disappointing that the complex is already in such poor repair.

Interestingly I went to Brockwell Lido for the first time last week. The fabric of the pool there seems quite decrepit ( I suppose it’s a 1930s pool, although has had a lot of refurbishment done since 2000s) but the changing rooms were also a mess and appeared dilapidated. I later realised Brockwell is also run by Fusion, which makes me think there is a general issue with the way they operate and the standards they maintain that goes beyond FH pools.

DevonishForester
21 Aug '19

Why attack someone who is concerned about the state of a public asset and the way it is managed? In the absence of opposition Councillors or a serious local newspaper, this forum is one of the few places where these matters can be aired.

robin.orton
21 Aug '19

Yes, you’re right. My post was ill-judged. I apologise to MaxRocks.

PV
21 Aug '19

Are there any plans to fix the dillapadated and broken gym equipment? It’s very poor compared to cheaper competitors which doesn’t make sense given the gym has council subsidy.

CHfigaro
21 Aug '19

Actually the vast majority of local authority leisure centres nowadays see the operator paying the council for the opportunity to run the facility.

maxrocks
21 Aug '19

Thank you.
And @robin.orton apology accepted.
I’d like to add that I would REALLY love to use them and my other half still does because he works nearby so it makes sense for him to pop in on way to or from work-Via him I get regular updates as to wether things have improved

Kipya
24 Aug '19

If it is the case that the operator pays the Council then there is no hope.

Yesterday neither of the shower cubicles had an operating shower. The open showers are pretty miserable, so none of the shower facilities are really acceptable.

It appears that much of the maintenance work is ‘organised’ centrally, so it looks likely that all the Fusion facilities will be in a state of run-down disrepair.

If Forest Hill Pools actually belong to Lewisham Council, then maybe it’s time to hold a discussion with the community to look at what is required, how much it would cost and what are the funding options. Otherwise it seems that the facilities will be run down and then not used, in turn opening up evidence for knocking them down and building housing. Ah, haven’t we been there before?

DevonishForester
24 Aug '19

It seems clear that Councillors, Mayor, and Town Hall are not interested.

This is important. My sense is that a lot of revenue is not collected. I was using the wrong card for 18 months until a new member of staff actually checked it instead of waving me through and opening the gate for me. It also means that the centre does not have accurate stats regarding usage.

CHfigaro
24 Aug '19

It’s definitely the case that nowadays councils have moved from subsidising leisure facilities to expecting the operators to pay them a fee. I know this as I supply lots of the operating companies, including Fusion.

I don’t know, though, for sure what the situation was when the Lewisham contract was signed so it is possible that there is a subsidy being paid by the council.

I suspect if there were a large amount of complaints then something would be done. I say this as a keen forum user but often there is a bit of keyboard warrior situation on forums and it might not reflect the reality of mass opinion.

Kipya
6 Sep '19

There are untold comments about the state of the showers in Forest HIll Pools but it has become rather pointless to complain. There has for a long time been little or no response to a wide range of issues. Buuuuut, having said that the new locker locks and keys are great - so something has been done.

However, there are still many problems. Today both the shower cubicles were marked ‘Out of Order’ and they have been out of order for many weeks. It transpires that the firm which makes the showers also supplies spares, so they could be fixed for a few pounds. It requires that someone actually attends to the detail. The showers for the gym have been out of use for weeks and weeks. That, of course, is because nothing is being done.

What is more difficult is to find out why such relatively small jobs cannot just be dealt with. Depressing.

tux_dog
8 Sep '19

Learner pool closed today due to a lack of lifeguards. Main pool closed as it’s full due to the overspill from the closed learner pool.

SophieDavis
25 Sep '19

Hi all,

I’m one of the local councillors for FH ward. Sorry for the delay in replying to this thread.

I’ve been liaising with officers at the council and Fusion regularly about this issue. Officers are also very aware of the issues and are working hard with Fusion to try and improve them. This morning, I met the new(ish) divisional manager for Fusion (Nigel), who I will be meeting monthly to raise issues (so please keep bringing them up).

I’ve been assured that Fusion are taking steps in the coming months to improve standards (including recruiting more staff, adding to the programme, working with the Council to fix the leaks, changing the locks system etc) and I’ve invited Nigel to come to our local assembly (on 16th November) to give an update on what they’ve been doing since they last came. I also encouraged him to sign up to this forum to see what residents are saying and reply directly.

As a user of the Pools with my young daughter (as well as a councillor), I really share your frustration about the lack of progress. But we are keeping up the pressure both with Fusion, and at the Council and I hope that we will be able to make some progress in the coming months.

Thanks,
Sophie

Kipya
25 Sep '19

On Monday it was clear that the two poolside showers had been fixed. New press taps have replaced the broken ones and are working well. The spare parts are readily available and it seems that someone has attended to it. That’s great. Now all we need is maintenance to become part of the everyday practice at the pools…

PV
26 Sep '19

Thanks for posting Sophie, hope nigel does sign up to the forum.

The main issue for me is the dire state of the gym, which compares very poorly to the nearby energie, or other council owned gyms like Herne hill lido, Brixton rec etc. This means a membership at FHP isn’t worth it for me, and I’m then reluctant to spend extra on top of seperate a gym membership to use the pool. FHP offer memberships that include both, but with the gym in such a state it offers poor value, it really needs a full modernisation.

maxrocks
27 Sep '19

Same with me-The poor out of date gym coupled with sorry state of Pool and facilities and lack of classes (especially in the evenings) means I’m better off leaving the area to gym and swim

DevonishForester
4 Oct '19

WHEN ! ?

Is the first floor changing room open? I haven’t been for a while.

Kipya
25 Oct '19

The Gym changing room, showers and toilets are still out of action which is now some 5 months. The two cubicles in the pool are used by some people from the Gym and today someone was using the shower because he didn’t have a shower at home. I didn’t begrudge him this, it’s hard enough for young people to find decent accommodation, but it shows how much showers are needed.
And oddly I visited a public Leisure Centre in Littlehampton recently where there was a wall full of shower cubicles - at least 10. It was a delight. It would be nice if the provision at Forest Hill could be even half as good as Littlehampton.

SeanandLucy
18 Nov '19

I use Forest Hill pools. I would like to give some positive feedback about the staff. They have always been professional and helpful. In particular if I arrive late for a very quick swim they never indicate they would rather I did not bother. Thank you

Kipya
19 Nov '19

I totally agree with SeanandLucy. The staff at Forest Hill Pools are positive and helpful. I visit two or three times a week and always find staff very professional and good natured.

It is not the staff, though, that are responsible for the showers or gym machines not being maintained. That is a management responsibility and the problem is either lack of attention or lack of finance. Whichever, it is made worse by a lack of communication.

Sandinista
9 Dec '19

I received this message today - looks promising…

BRAND NEW GYM - IMPROVEMENT WORKS START SOON! \ 8x1 View in browser

BRAND NEW GYM - WORK STARTS SOON!

Timetables \ 8x10 Activities \ 8x10 Discover \ 8x10 News \ 8x10 Find Us

\ 10x10

Hello,

We’re really excited to let you know that we’re investing £140,000 in the gym at Forest Hill Pools! So that we can complete the transformation (including removal of old equipment, re-wiring, painting and installation of the new equipment), the gym will close on Monday 16th December.

We expect to re-open your brand new gym on Sunday 22nd December - perfect timing for you to get stuck into your pre-Christmas fitness routine! While the gym is closed, you are welcome to use facilities at Bellingham Leisure Centre, Glass Mill Leisure Centre and Wavelengths Leisure Centre.

Your new gym, once complete, will include a ll NEW cardiovascular kit, NEW fixed resistance machines, NEW free weights and a large range of NEW functional equipment.

Please check our website and social media pages where we’ll be posting regular progress reports. If you have any questions please speak to a member of the team in centre.

Best wishes,

The Team at Forest Hill Pools

\ 10x10

\ 32x32 \ 32x32

Forest Hill Pool

Dartmouth Road, Forest Hill

SE23 3HZ \ 8x1

\ 10x10

Forward this page

marymck
9 Dec '19

Well let’s hope they can invest in a volume knob for the musak. And also in some education for their staff. I went to Peckham Pulse for cardiac rehab. Paid for by King’s. The trainer was excellent. Very knowledgeable and I had total trust in him.

When that prescription expired I tried to arrange something through my GP, only to be told that Lewisham don’t pay for cardiac rehab.

So as I would be paying I thought it would make sense for me to go somewhere closer to hone and approached FH Pools Gym. I asked what they offered that was suitable for cardiac rehab patients. They said everything they do is suitable and to just turn up at any session! That is bonkers. I didn’t feel I could trust them and the one session I looked in on the trainer was shouty and agressive musak was thumping out.

FusionLewisham
10 Dec '19

Hello Mary,
We do offer a cardiac rehab programme within Lewisham, but you would need to be referred by the hospital. Your GP can refer you to our GP referral programme, if you speak to your GP about this they will send your referral over to us. There are charges to use either scheme. In regards to music, different classes will have different music and subsequently have it played at different volume levels. If you visit here https://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/centres/forest-hill-pools/timetables/group-exercise/ this will give you the list of our classes. Hopefully you’ll be able to find something suitable to your music tastes

FusionLewisham
10 Dec '19

Hello PV, thank you for your comment, please see the enclosed link https://www.fusion-lifestyle.com/centres/forest-hill-pools/news/140k-investment-new-gym-at-forest-hill-pools-coming-soon/ We hope you’ll pop along once it’s finished and enjoy our new gym

marymck
10 Dec '19

I’m pleased to hear you do a cardiac rehab programme now. You didn’t when I applied. I had actually tried to summarise my experience in my earlier post and in doing so perhaps I didn’t make myself clear.

King’s College Hospital is in Southwark; not Lewisham. King’s had a list of suggested gyms that they could refer me to. FH Pools wasn’t one of them. I therefore asked my GP (Wells Park) to refer me. He refused, saying Lewisham/Wells Park did not have a budget for that.

That was when I had my conversation with FH Pools, to see if I could pay for a suitable programme myself. Your employee told me any of your classes would be suitable. When I expressed surprise she even listed a couple of things I’d specifically been told to avoid. Obviously I could have no confidence in that.

Re the music. You are assuming everyone wants to work to the same beat/timing/volume. That does not work for a cardiac rehab class. Why have music at all? If individual clients require music why not let them use headphones?

FusionLewisham
10 Dec '19

Hello Mary,
Thank you for your message, we have always offered the Cardiac Rehab programme, so we’ll pick this up with the reception team for not knowing about this. The usual referral route is through Lewisham Hospital. We do however accept referrals from Kings so we will need to pick this up with them.
If you take part in our referral programme this is a stand alone programme with experienced and qualified instructors who will be able to help you get back into the using the leisure centre to it’s full potential. I suggest you speak to your GP again to refer you. The referral process is online and there is no cost for them to refer you.
Music is played in some of cardiac classes for atmosphere and we wouldn’t want users listening to headphones, as we need them to be able to hear instructions from the instructors.

We recommend that you speak to your GP again and come along and try our referral programme

Kipya
12 Dec '19

Will the new functional equipment include a functioning shower? The showers have been out of action since May. Have they been repaired yet?

FusionLewisham
13 Dec '19

The changing room works will be completed separately. We will keep you updated when these works are taking place.

DevonishForester
13 Dec '19

That sounds like there is no schedule as yet …
First floor changing room to remain closed?

anon5422159
28 Dec '19

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Forest Hill Pools [2020]

anon5422159
28 Dec '19