Forest Hill's Foxes

I thought I would share an informative fact sheet about the red fox written by Lewisham Council, dispelling common myths, ideas to deter them if you aren’t so keen on them and what to do if your find an injured fox or orphaned cub. This beautiful vixen lives in my garden and had three cubs this year. She was odly sleeping under my window one day making a great photo opportunity. She looks very healthy which is nice to see. I love wildlife photography and have quite a few of various foxes in and and around Forest Hill now.

We love the two foxes that live in and around our garden. We don’t feed them but also don’t disturb them.

We had a mother and 6 cubs in our garden this summer. They were adorable. My toddler had hours of fun watching them play.

Only problem we had when we had a family of foxes coming into our garden was that they dug a hole in the grass looking for worms! It’s taken ages for the grass to grow again after the family went.

The leaflet doesn’t talk about dogs and foxes, only cays and foxes.
I am quite nervous about coming across a fox when out walking my dog in the evening. He goes absolutely crazy and yet the fox just stands there looking at us. I usually walking away quickly with crazy dog in tow but I’m worried what would happen if I turned a corner and one was right there. Would a fox run or fight a dog?
Doesn’t help that the neighbour is feeding them so they are ever present in our street :angry:

Is your dog scared or gets excited? I wouldn’t worry as foxes instinct is to run if under threat (like you see in fox hunting). Foxes will not fight unless they are forced to defend themselves in an attack by say a hunting pack of hounds and will always come out the worst (dead). If you turned a corner and suddenly came across a fox it would either stand stock still in shock or run. Some foxes are bolder and will stare but normally out of curiosity rather than intentional intimidation, or because people over feeding them have made them trust us (which is not good for them). Even if your neighbours didn’t feed them they would still be there as they have their own territories regardless of us humans. I’ve had foxes in my garden for years and don’t feed them.

wow 6 is a big fox litter - must be a healthy mum fox!

I’m a keen wildlife photographer, love the pic great eye contact.
I’m always on the look for anyone who has a fox in there gardens especially with cubs.

Our dogs goes bananas when he sees a fox in the street too. Barks his head off and really strains at the lead to chase. He did once bolt when I wasn’t fully holding the lead as I opened the front door and a young fox was in the drive. For a few terrifying minutes they had a high speed chase up and down the street, leaping over walls and across the road (no car sense…) In the end the fox stopped and turned round. The dog stopped too, and they just stared at each other, looking a bit surprised. And I took him home!

So those wonderful foxes of ours did a disgusting dump on our front doorstep this week.
Not feeling the love!

More good info

A fox that came to our garden had just killed a squirrel. Sad for the squirrel but glad that it was not human food in the middle of our lawn.
Few hours later no one would have guessed what had happened in our garden.

Another one of the fox in my garden this time snuggled up on top of an old shed.

yes I saw a squirrel leg on the street the other day - same thing must have happened there.

Whilst it’s a rare occurrence, accounts of attacks on cats trouble me most about foxes:

[cat fans of sensitive disposition - beware, there are some upsetting quotes below]

Croydon cat killer unmasked: police reveal culprits after 500 deaths

Animals will be animals, and if we allow our cats free access to roam, they will be at risk of predation.

It is a rare occurrence as you say and I can see why it would be troubling. A study by Stephen Harris in Bristol asked 5191 homeowners in a high fox density area for their experiences. Of 1225 pet cats, eight had been killed by foxes the year before.

It is interesting to remember that an urban foxes territory might have up to 100 cats living in it and they do mostly live together without a problem. Foxes and cats meet many times every night and invariably ignore each other.

Saying that, I have a pic of a fox and cat playing together on a trampoline in my neighbours garden - I must find it.

I am fox lover and indeed a supporter of the Hunt Saboteurs Association. I find many people, particularly farmers and huntsmen like to emphasise these rare incidents to justify their desire to continue the bloody sport of ripping foxes apart by hounds (which still illegally continues and recently I had the very unfortunate displeasure of witnessing whilst out with the ramblers in Sussex!).

I also love eagles and wolves who equally need to predate to survive.

I’m no fan of fox hunting with hounds (I think it should be done humanely with high velocity rifles). I think it’s understandable that farmers would dislike foxes and want to control their numbers:

If we accept that predation by foxes is normal and healthy, then we ought to accept predation of foxes by humans too.

My cat, who is not known for being clever, chases foxes out of my garden. Despite having no canine teeth. I suspect he would not fair well if he actually caught one!

Plenty of cats about so I am not at all concerned about the odd one being lost to a fox. Cats in turn decimate the song bird population, so nature has a means of correcting this.

What I do object to is foxes being fed by humans. This is bad both for the fox and the local environment.