Archived on 6/5/2022

Former Brent Knoll School Site - Mayow Road

thirstforwine
17 Jun '16

SE23 is very lucky to have a leading Special Education school in our area dealing with children with social, communication and interaction issues - Brent Knoll, now in what looks like a fabulous new building on Perry Rise.

However, it used to have a site opposite Mayow Park on Mayow Road. Does anyone know what that site will become? Will there be another new school built there, or has it been sold off for development?

I’ve tried doing some research but couldn’t find an answer.

anon64893700
17 Jun '16

With no knowledge about it at all, I am gonna go with a 4 storey collection of apartments and “affordable” housing.

rbmartin
17 Jun '16

I didn’t realise the new Brent Knoll had opened. On the website they’ve posted some fantastic videos.

Jon_Robinson
17 Jun '16

I live on De Frene Road, I had heard that it had been sold to a developer. Then again I also heard from the same person (Bill the taxi driver) that the people moving in with bags of clothes were Syrian refugees, and it turns out that they’re just guardians living there temporarily. so no idea how true it is. Probably the most likely though is that it’ll be developed into flats, some affordable.

anon64893700
17 Jun '16

Good old Bill :joy:

Jon_Robinson
17 Jun '16

is there anyone who doesn’t know Bill?!

thirstforwine
17 Jun '16

me … or I wouldn’t have needed to ask :wink:

actually, he may be right. I got the impression there were people living there from some of the sights in the windows. It was one of the reasons I was wondering as I walked past it the other day. Looks like too many cars & windows for just on-site guardians, but maybe not

Jon_Robinson
23 Jun '16

a lot of the cars there during the week are, I think, teachers at Forest Hill Boys / Sixth Form around the corner (or older students?)
there’s very few cars the on a Saturday or Sunday.

ForestHull
10 Mar '19

Looks like demolition is due to start this month.

The site notice says it will be on March 17th, though the email correspondence on the Lewisham planning pages records the planning department saying:

Also, the site notice says demolition works are intended to start 17th March 2018 – this is a Sunday? The earliest date a valid application has been received is 27.02.19. Allowing the 28 day period we have in which to issue a decision, the earliest you could demolish would be 28th of March. Any earlier demolition would not be permitted under the relevant permitted development rights and would be unauthorised and potentially liable to enforcement action. The notice also has to be displayed for a period of 21 days beginning on the date an application (entire i.e. including demolition method statement) is submitted to the local planning authority. The notice therefore needs to be displayed until 20thth March.

The notice should be updated to be clear on these two aspects.

I guess it doesn’t matter so much when it starts, so long as the disruption is minimised.

https://planning.lewisham.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=_LEWIS_DCAPR_98987

Pea
12 Mar '19

I might be getting my wires crossed but is this not what we are talking about?

https://se26.life/t/consultation-on-new-housing-close-to-corner-of-mayow-park-2019/1248

ForestHull
12 Mar '19

I don’t think so - that’s opposite the former school site.

tonyf
13 Mar '19

The aim of the project is to expand Greenvale Special School to provide an additional 93 spaces for Key Stage 5 and complex learning difficulties and disabilities (CLDD) places.

The additional spaces will be provided in a new build 2/3 storey block on a satellite site on Mayow Road (former Brent Knoll School Building).

As part of the Greenvale Expansion project, the former Brent Knoll School Buildings on the corner of Mayow road/De Frene road will be demolished to allow the development of new Greenvale school satellite building.

rbmartin
14 Mar '19

I’m glad to see the site is staying for special needs education.

ForestHull
17 Mar '19

The site notice has been ammended with a corrected date:

ForestHull
14 Apr '19

Going… Going…

Mc5ill15
22 Apr '19

I have to admit for myself it’s quite something to here the site will be kept for SNE , having worked on the new building on perry vale and been one of the guardians who live in the mayow road site .

They will knock down what was my first flat next . Good to see it finally moving on.

ForestHull
6 May '19

Almost gone!

ForestHull
10 Aug '19

Gone:

ForestHull
24 Oct '19

A post was split to a new topic: Brent Knoll School planning application