Archived on 6/5/2022

Former Maplin / Fashion Clearance building [Now a Co-op]

maggie2016
3 May '19

Hello does anyone know what the former maplin site is going to be as they doing work there

Shannonsgc
16 May '19

We are next door and one of the workmen told us the Co-op were moving in?

Maybe their new location as a hotel planned for their existing site?

Bolgerp
16 May '19

REALLY??? That would be fantastic for me, personally… as it’ll be even closer to my house that the previous one!

Bolgerp
16 May '19

Wonder how long it’ll take them to finish?

Bolgerp
16 May '19

I asked The Co Op on Twitter… here’s their response:

willmorgan
17 May '19

I think (hope) that’s good news for you lot!

It certainly is for me.

ForestHull
17 May '19

Added a question mark to the title, as it’s unconfirmed (for now anyway).

rbmartin
17 May '19

Will be pleased if the Co-op stays in Forest Hill, it’s one of the decent ones round there, although I like the Forest Hill Superstore on Perry Vale as well, which has come in handy.

blushingsnail
1 Aug '19

Co-Op have applied for a Premises Licence for the sale of alcohol at the old Maplin’s site on Stanstead Road, so it looks like they are staying in Forest Hill.

Anotherjohn
1 Aug '19

Great location!
And much safer for getting in and out of by car.

Clair
1 Aug '19

Three cheers for the co-op.
Hip Hip …
Hip Hip …
Hip Hip …
fingers crossed they get it. Would be a shame to loose such a handy shop.

Shannonsgc
8 Aug '19

We also had a letter informing us Co-op had applied for planning permission so we may be getting new neighbours. Will be lovely to see the building occupied again.

ForestHull
8 Aug '19

This looks like the application: DC/19/112904

From the cover letter:

Pegasus Group are instructed on behalf of Co-operative Group Food Ltd. (‘the Applicant’), to
submit a planning application for the following development at 107-113 Stanstead Road,
Forest Hill, SE23 1HH

It looks like a good volume of the area will go to shop storage, so it might be a smallish store. Smallish but welcome :slight_smile:

YorkshireLad
7 Sep '19

Work is beginning I see.

Forestbird
3 Oct '19

I was in the Coop recently and they mentioned they are moving out in November to the old Maplins site to enable demolition and hotel building to begin.

Shannonsgc
4 Oct '19

Coop are hoping to move in next door to us on 22nd November- lots of work going on.

oakr
4 Oct '19

Hopefully this will be good for you and result in more footfall, and I can disguise my trips to see you as a ‘going to get some groceries’ without having to be told ‘and don’t bring back any more plants!’ :grinning:

I suspect parking may become more difficult outside the front of of both shops but other than that this sounds positive all round.

starman
4 Oct '19

Convenience is everything. Its a real shame to lose this one by the platform 2 entrance to the station. Hopefully the Forest Hill Superstore can expand its fresh food range a bit more… or a decent small grocery open on the ground floor of the new hotel.

Shannonsgc
4 Oct '19

Haha that made us smile!

Dont forget we have a car park at the back reached via Malham Road.

oakr
4 Oct '19

The large Sainsbury’s from the front entrance to the Station can’t be much further? But yes if you are on that side of the tracks it does make it a bit further, especially coming back carrying bags.

Hopefully something new will pop up to fill the void - I doubt it will be the anything on the ground floor of the hotel which I assume will cater more for the hotel crowd and have more non-perishables - I’d assume toiletries, crisps, biscuits, ready meals you can maybe cook in the hotel microwave (if there is one) and maybe a coffee machine.

For me it’s closer as I’m based in HOP so I’m happy.

starman
4 Oct '19

At the end of a long day with work bag the extra 10 minutes or so isn’t welcome. I’ll probably switch my shop for dinner to before my homeward journey.

Though I recall the planning approval for the hotel included a ground floor convenience.

Bolgerp
5 Nov '19

Anyone have any updates on the opening date? Is it still Nov 22nd? I asked one of the guys in the current shop last week and they weren’t sure of the date - “end of the month, we think”…

starman
13 Nov '19

New signage is up.

Twitter
22 Nov '19
ThorNogson
22 Nov '19

Didn’t realise they would have one but there’s a car park for the new CoOp at the back, behind all the spaces for the dialysis centre.

anon5422159
22 Nov '19
Clair
23 Nov '19

A very quick visit this morning on way to work, found refreshments & biscuits in a flash for my maths club. A lot bigger than the last shop & busy too! Will be going back to check out their wider range of goods.
Love the co op and pleased it’s still local!