Archived on 6/5/2022

FREE Hi-fi components UPDATE ONLY TUNER LEFT

RachaelDunlop
4 Sep '17

Can anyone make use of some old hi-fi components? NAD amplifier, Sony CD player, Kenwood synthesiser with AM/FM tuner and Kenwood single cassette deck. None have been used for years so I can’t vouchsafe their usability (really selling this, aren’t I!)

If no takers, they are going out for the kerbside scavengers as soon as we get a dry day.

Londondrz
4 Sep '17

Hi Rachael, if you are willing to hang onto it I would love the CD player. I am down in a few weeks.

RachaelDunlop
4 Sep '17

No problem.

GillB
4 Sep '17

Hi Rachel, if you can get there, Crofton Park library will make use of that sort of thing. Use cables, recycle etc.

Brett
5 Sep '17

Fine for most of that but the NAD amp, assuming it works, is a quality item and very robust in my experience. Better re-used if a home can be found for it.

Foresthillnick
5 Sep '17

Those NAD amps were fantastic and probably still are - they went on and on and on. My mate had one in college, sold it to me, I sold it on and it was still going 20 years later.

RachaelDunlop
5 Sep '17

I’d like to find a home for the NAD. Because they are so damned robust, there are plenty around on the second-hand market, which depresses the price. I’m trying to weigh effort of selling versus what I might realistically get for it.

Brett
5 Sep '17

Indeed. I bought mine at university and later gave it to my sister. It is still going strong c. 35 years later.

RachaelDunlop
5 Sep '17

OH bought the NAD with his first proper pay check, from Richer Sounds on London Bridge sometime in the early 90s. He’s finding letting it go a bit emotional.

GillB
5 Sep '17

Oh yes of course! Are there no genuine dealers out there who would take it off your hands? Or maybe worth holding onto as it may be of use again in the future & he may regret giving it away.

RachaelDunlop
5 Sep '17

He’s never going to use it again. He’s a dedicated early adopter of ALL technology, which means our home is a graveyard of defunct technology. As I said above, there are a lot of these amps on the secondhand market, so I might get £40 for it if I’m lucky (less fees and postage if I put it on eBay). Happy to let it go to someone who can make use of it.

I’m trying to encourage OH not to be sentimental about stuff, because, it’s, you know, just stuff. That I have to dust.

clausy
5 Sep '17

I’d love the tape player if it’s still going. Just found all my old tapes in a box and have nothing to play them on!

RachaelDunlop
5 Sep '17

It’s yours @clausy ! PM me to arrange pick up. I assume you have an amp to play it through?

GillB
5 Sep '17

Oh yes I know the feeling :grimacing:

GillB
5 Sep '17

My husband still has his tapes. He has CDs as well, & we have LPs, that to be fair have come back into fashion! He refuses to get rid of the tapes as he said they could come back into fashion as well, but again agree with Rachel that they are another thing gathering dust as they are on open cassette stands & all fall off if I touch them :confounded:

ec113
6 Sep '17

Hi, would love to get the amplifier off our hands - can you tell whether it can be used with a vinyl record player?

RachaelDunlop
6 Sep '17

Haven’t used it with a turntable myself, but it has phono inputs.

Foresthillnick
6 Sep '17

The Nad amp was built in the days of vinyl so it will be fine…

Form wiki

The manufacturer claims the phono input, which can also be used with high-output moving coil cartridges, contains a 6-transistor circuit “engineered for extremely low noise and nearly distortion-free performance”. Reviewers note the pre-amplifier’s “decent moving-magnet phono stage”

ec113
6 Sep '17

Thank you!

ec113
6 Sep '17

I’ll take it! Trying to figure out how to pm you though! (Sorry have only just moved to this area and started using this forum)

RachaelDunlop
6 Sep '17

You’ll need PMs enabled as a new user. Hang on…

ec113
6 Sep '17

Oh, not quite sure how to do that. Would you be able to PM me, or that wouldn’t work either?

RachaelDunlop
6 Sep '17

@ec113 - Have PMed you, let me know if you’ve got it okay.

ForestHillFrank
8 Sep '17

Hi Rachel, guessing the amp is now gone. Please drop a msg here if it is still going spare - thank you!

RachaelDunlop
10 Sep '17

Update: tape deck now gone to @clausy. CD player and amp spoken for pending collection. One lonely am/fm tuner and equaliser still available.

Londondrz
10 Sep '17

Rachael, down on the 30th. Will pm. John

clausy
30 Sep '17

As promised, somewhat belatedly, here’s the tape deck in it’s new home. Thanks @RachaelDunlop :slight_smile:

RachaelDunlop
30 Sep '17

Looking good! @Londondrz is taking possession of the CD player today, leaving just the tuner / equaliser on its lonesome.

Londondrz
30 Sep '17

Don’t tempt me :wink:

RachaelDunlop
29 Nov '17

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.