Archived on 6/5/2022

From the other SE23 Forum: Mugging in the alley between Sunderland and Trilby Road

Bolgerp
10 Nov '16

Not sure if posting a link to the other forum is going to get me in trouble, however I just spotted this and thought it would be sensible to bring it to people’s attention.

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13026

Bolgerp
10 Nov '16

http://www.se23.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13026

RachaelDunlop
10 Nov '16

Linking from the other forum has been blocked at the request of the admin of the other forum. Perhaps you could summarise the post for us?

Bolgerp
10 Nov '16

Oh… okay, well essentially someone posted that his partner had been walking through the alley on Tuesday and she was stopped by a guy to warn her that he had been mugged in there on Monday evening, around 7pm.

May have been opportunistic given the time of day and the fact that they took his wallet but didn’t take his phone or any other belongings.

The poster said it was possibly 2 or 3 young guys and at least one approached the victim from the front and the other behind. He did manage to make a run for it but they chased him towards Normanton St and tripped him up. He was then physically assaulted and had his wallet stolen. He said he has reported it to the police and was told that some similar incidents had been reported and there was an ‘investigation’ going on. He was obviously shaken-up and has only just moved to the area.

Be safe…

Moto_Hodder
10 Nov '16

Eh? Are hyperlinks now subject to some kind of bizarre legislation of which I am unaware?

People: if you don’t want people linking to your stuff, don’t put it on the internet.

As for the original story, does anyone have any corroborating evidence? Or is it just a literally 4th hand story? We have friends who use that path regularly and my daughter’s school is next door, so this is not academic.

RachaelDunlop
10 Nov '16

We’re always happy to post links to other local forum and resources. In this case, the admin of the other forum asked us not to make any mention whatsoever of him or his forum on here. As a courtesy we obliged and set up automatic redacting of the site name. Which obviously makes the links unusable.

Moto_Hodder
10 Nov '16

I can’t say that would have been my response. Whatever the reason for the request, it doesn’t cast a very good light on the “other place”.

RachaelDunlop
10 Nov '16

Horses for courses, as they say.

You asked a good question re any other reports of this incident. I wondered why the man who had been mugged approached the partner of the person who posted (like a game of Chinese whispers, this). Perhaps to ask for witnesses or just to be altruistic?

It makes sense to be aware of your surroundings and other people when using cut-throughs and alleyways, but stopping using them is the best way to make them antisocial spaces.

LeeHC
10 Nov '16

I agree entirely- I walk through there every day at all times of day and night and have never felt unsafe. Thankfully I think it’s unlikely people will stop using it as its such a long way around to avoid it!

Bolgerp
10 Nov '16

I imagine the victim approached the poster’s partner as she was probably a lone female walking through the alley and he wanted to warn her of something unpleasant that happened. However, I have not seen any other postings or replies to the incident (apart from mine)… This useful crime map gives an idea of crimes etc. in areas

https://www.police.uk/metropolitan/E05000450/crime/

Moto_Hodder
10 Nov '16

So going back several months, it’s a pretty big “no”. Perhaps we’ll see something in the October figures, but the average for robbery in Perry Vale ward appears to be around 1.x a month.

oakr
10 Nov '16

I suspect altruistic - nothing to suggest otherwise.

I personally don’t doubt the story.

Chris_M
12 Nov '16

I was mugged in exactly the same way in the same alley several years ago… possibly the same “youths” now grown up a bit. The police were great, caught them and prosecuted one who was sentenced to 6 months in young offenders, as he was a known consistent offender. I had used the alley for years and did so again for several more years. I guess it wasn’t my lucky day.