Archived on 6/5/2022

Gardeners’ photo thread

marymck
9 May '20

I wondered if we could have a gardeners’ photo thread, rather like the bakers’ photo thread that I for one have found so encouraging. I know we have a gardening advice thread, but I was just thinking maybe photos?

This for example is my clematis this afternoon.

marymck
9 May '20

And these are two climbing roses.

Mme Isaac Pereire (the pink one! I’ve made a bit of a muddle of the order in which I’ve posted them.) - which isn’t a true climber, but I’ve trained it as such and it’s a good controllable size for our courtyard.

And Mme Alfred Carriere (the white one - rather a dark photo) - which is a rather rampant climber for the space it’s in, but worth the constant tying in and trimming.

ForestHull
9 May '20

Here’s a couple of flowers from my Nelly Moser which is doing great right now:

Note the leaves behind the flowers are from my brutish Clematis Armandi which produced loads of flowers earlier in the year. Having Nelly climb through the dense green foliage seems to work as a good combination to keep more interest though the year. I’m considering trying to get a rambling rose in there too for a bit more variation.

HonorOakBloke
10 May '20

About the only decent thing in the jungle I laughingly call my garden - blossom on our cherry tree.
Hoping for a decent crop this year - last year we managed only half a small basin…

Foresthillnick
10 May '20

Great Idea and hopefully should provide a bit of cheer!

We have been working on a rockery the last couple of days. Obviously it needs to fill out a bit but looking pretty good so far.

Clair
12 May '20

My mum sent these today as she can’t remember what this plant is called. It flowered last year and has come back this year.
Anyone know its name? image image image

marymck
13 May '20

That’s stunningly beautiful @Clair but I’m afraid I don’t know what it is.

Dave_Benson
13 May '20

*Polemonium caeruleum. Jacobs ladder

Clair
13 May '20

That’s brilliant thank you Dave! I will pass on to my mum. She’ll be chuffed!

clausy
15 May '20

I thought I’d have a go at propagating some camellias this year. Initially I cut a few stems and just dunked them in some compost, then I actually researched it and you’re supposed to cut the stems just above each leaf where the new shoots are coming out. So I planted about 20 thinking if 2 of them work then I’m winning. Seems like almost ALL of them have rooted so I may need to open a garden centre in the summer :slight_smile: I also managed to grow a couple from seed (in the glass pot) but they’re still tiny.

Also tried a couple of magnolia stems - I have no idea if they’ll work yet. Plus some baby Aloe offshoots from the big one in the pot on the terrace. Oh and a couple of Flame Trees with seeds from Singapore… I don’t think they’ll last the winter though.

I’m enjoying lockdown!

marymck
19 May '20

The first of this year’s Veilchenblau. Any day now for the whole flush.

And the first Souvenir du Dr Jamain of this year, quite difficult to photo this one, as it’s a bit out of reach and looks upwards. Lots of lower buds to come though and this rose does repeat.

Pea
19 May '20

I’d love to know what this plant is in my garden so I can go to Shannons and hopefully get a few more to make it even bigger. Blooms for about 3 weeks around May and is lovely.

marymck
19 May '20

The flowers look like a potentilla, but the leaves don’t. Very pretty, whatever it is. How does it spread? Maybe you can take cuttings or layer it.

If you show your photo to Shannons they’re bound to know.

Dave_Benson
19 May '20

Cistus, probably salvifolius prostratus ( dwarf sage leaved )rock rose**. Sun loving, drought tolerant

Pea
19 May '20

Bingo. That’s it. Thank you :pray:

marymck
19 May '20

Gosh you’re good :grinning:

marymck
20 May '20

Here are a couple of snaps of the Félicité Parmentier rose in my front garden. This one only blooms once, but it has a fragrance that stops you in your tracks.

marymck
20 May '20

The Portland Rose, which sits next to the Félicité Parmentier in the border. I’ll try to get a wider shot when they’re a little less sparse.

oakr
21 May '20

A few from our garden this morning.

Clair
21 May '20

These orange flowers are very pretty and have been flowering a while. No idea what they are. I’ve seen them whilst out for a walk quite a few times.
Thought I’d take a picture before they go & put on here to see if someone knows what they are.

ChrisR
22 May '20

I think they’re Californian Poppies.

Londondrz
22 May '20

A few from mine.

Clair
22 May '20

Thank you Chris
Loving this photo thread very helpful.

starman
22 May '20

Yes they are. We get them in orange and yellow

marymck
22 May '20

Gorgeous vibrant colour that rose. Do you know what it’s called?

applespider
22 May '20

Some gorgeous shots here!

Went to Shannon’s earlier which was busy but they were doing a great job of distancing and although there were more gaps than usual, the selection of plants seemed good unless you’ve got no wiggle room on what you’re offer.

I got the compost to replant my Monstera but sadly they only had very long moss poles and I only need one that’s 80-100cm. I might have to try to create something with bamboo stakes as can’t even find one online that will deliver before end June.

Clair
22 May '20

Californian Poppies look very delicate but are quite robust. Its been blooming there for a good while with little petal loss. Will definitely be on the lookout for some to add to garden.
Thanks

Dave_Benson
22 May '20

Get some seeds , they dislike being transplanted in my experience. Premier seeds direct do several varieties at 99p / packet

Foresthillnick
23 May '20

I sowed a whole packet and got nothing!

oakr
23 May '20

It’s this one - pretty prolific as well!

marymck
23 May '20

My seeds ordered yonks ago from Sarah Raven arrived only yesterday. They include Iceland poppies, giant white snapdragons and sweet peas. I fear it’s too late now to plant any of them for flowering this year, but I’m going to give it a pop. Also cornflower seeds from Suttons, which I ordered so long ago I had completely forgotten about and bought again elsewhere. I think of all the things I ordered from Suttons nothing apart from the cornflowers arrived as ordered. Most disappointing of all were my grafted tomato plants, which arrived as non grafted seedlings and completely different types. Not even just varieties - but actual types.

marymck
23 May '20

Thank you Oakr. I do love his roses. And that one looks luminous. We had several of them in our last house, which was a newer house with a really big garden with different areas. Plus we were close to his gardens, which are fab, and we were always coming home with something new.

Here we have very little space and I think only one of his and the remainder are old types, purely because I tried to plant varieties that would have been around when our house was built. (Not that I always got it right.)

Foresthillnick
24 May '20

Most excited by the middle flower. It is one of several on our yuzu so I am hoping for homegrown yuzu juice!

oakr
29 May '20

Nice - do they fruit here? I’ll be honest I had to google them…

Below is an oriental poppy - 3rd year same plants it seems keep coming back up - I don’t think they are self seeding as 2 plants come back every year in the same spot so guess they are perennial! Much bigger than normal a not.al poppy, with an interesting flower.

starman
31 May '20

Do you know if I should deadhead the spent flowers/pods?

starman
31 May '20

On a couple of walks recently I’ve seen these small trees with the most beautiful delicate flowers. Any ideas what it is?

clausy
1 Jun '20

Lilies are coming out - doing well this year - the stem is 5 ft tall!

marymck
1 Jun '20

I don’t have a good track record of identification on here, but here I go again …
Flamingo Willow?

starman
1 Jun '20

That looks it… and with a name like that how can I not get one for the small gap in the front garden.

Dave_Benson
1 Jun '20

It’s a dwarf variegated willow. Not flowers, just coloured leaves. https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/salix-integra-hakuro-nishiki-tree-p340

starman
1 Jun '20

Thank you.

marymck
1 Jun '20

Isn’t that the same thing … ish?
I’m desperate to get something right for once.

Dave_Benson
1 Jun '20

Yep, same thing

marymck
1 Jun '20

Phew! I shan’t hang up my trowel just yet then.
Here’s some more roses.
The deep pink one is Mme Isaac Pereire (I have two of these; one as a climber in the back garden, but this is the front garden one) and the tall pale pink is a Kazanlik rose tree.

I wrote about Kazanlik here …

marymck
1 Jun '20

Veilchenblau rose and clematis. Not the easiest things to get a good photo of. They look nicer in real life.

marymck
1 Jun '20

marymck
1 Jun '20

Little White Pet standard.

marymck
1 Jun '20

Does anyone know what this plant is called? The flowers are only open when the sun is on them. It’s not looking very well this year. Very sparse. Should I feed it? Repot it?
@Foresthillnick it looks similar to a photo you posted. Some sort of succulent?

oakr
1 Jun '20

I’ve got some tree lillies that now have the flower buds (if that is the correct term…)- They are great, come back every year, and you can split the bulbs after a few years and double your plants!

Suze
2 Jun '20

Could be a Delosperma jewel of the desert. The flowers open in the sun and then close. They like lots of sun and arid conditions

Foresthillnick
3 Jun '20

That tree lilly you gave me was amazing last year and has come back really big this year - just waiting for it to flower.

marymck
3 Jun '20

Thanks @Suze that looks like it. I shall have a read up on them to work out what to do.

Suze
3 Jun '20

It definitely won’t like it’s feet being wet, so I’d remove the saucer on the pot. And it’ll probably want to be in houseplant or succulent compost with some fine grit mixed in. I don’t think I’ve ever fed mine. It just sits in the sun in a ceramic pot and is fairly neglected!

Foresthillnick
3 Jun '20

That is what I have but a very small compact one…

anon27836993
3 Jun '20

oakr
3 Jun '20

Great - I’m going to split my white flowering ones later this year or whenever the foliage has died down and take them out of pots - if I have a few spare you are welcome to them. I find them pretty trouble free bar red beetles I had one year and their larvae but got rid of them the last few years and none this year. And they do get bigger each year as an added bonus!

ThorNogson
3 Jun '20

Geraniums from Lidl, and a clematis just after the rain.

ThorNogson
6 Jun '20

The berry crop is coming on well.

clausy
6 Jun '20

I actually have 5 rooted camellias grown from cuttings in one small pot. I wonder at what stage I should plant them out into separate pots. Don’t want it to get too crowded, but also don’t want to pull them apart too early, what do you think?

oakr
10 Jun '20

Mine are coming through as well, not that I’ve seen many as the kids have had most of them, same with the peas.

Our tree Lilies are just coming through now, though the white ones still seem a way off.

anon27836993
10 Jun '20

marymck
13 Jun '20

My first strawberries!

Probably the most expensive strawberries in the world. £26.95 for 18 plants. 6 plants doing well (Mara des Bois - which these are). 2 questionable but I’m hopeful (Manille)… 10 never really showed much sign of life (4 X Manille + 6 Gariguette).

These look nice though and smell like concentrated strawberry summer. That’s tonight’s pudding sorted. One strawberry for himself and one for me.:grinning:

clausy
27 Jun '20

It’s nice to eat artichokes but leaving them to flower is probably even better

starman
27 Jun '20

Which tastes better with butter? The fruit or the flower?

applespider
27 Jun '20

Wow… that’s stunning. Not sure I’ve ever seen one flower before. Was in the Channel Islands last year and came across an allotment full of fruiting ones which was some sight. I do love artichokes…

Clair
12 Jul '20

Another call out for a plant identification please. I tried to flip picture up the right way but can’t.
image image

clausy
12 Jul '20

I bought a pack of these at Shannon’s last year, they’ve come back this year with at least 20 of these on each plant. No idea what it is, they seem to open and close randomly too. Quite enjoying the display

Dave_Benson
12 Jul '20

Oxalis deppei

Dave_Benson
12 Jul '20

Possibly Gazania, open in sunny conditions

Clair
12 Jul '20

Thank you! I will pass onto my mother in law. She be grateful too

clausy
12 Jul '20

Yes that’s definitely it. Name rings a bell too - thanks!

Foresthillnick
12 Jul '20

Macro Garden shots today

clausy
12 Jul '20

Wow stunning. In general the photos on the forum, gardening skills not to mention baking talent is amazing

Leah_C
12 Jul '20

I forgot about this thread! Beautiful pics @Foresthillnick
Here are some of the ones I’ve taken in the past few weeks.

ChrisR
13 Jul '20

Wow! They’re all spectacular shots but love the last one especially because of the colours. It would make a wonderful framed poster on the wall! Is it a clematis ?

Foresthillnick
13 Jul '20

Cheers! Yep the last one is a Clematis although I don’t know the type…

Lika_Razac-Ince
13 Jul '20

oakr
13 Jul '20

Loving this thread - some fantastic photos and plants here, and some superb macro ones @Foresthillnick.

Foresthillnick
13 Jul '20

The red stigma and pollen antler pic is from the tree lily you gave me. Amazing plant.

oakr
16 Jul '20

Dependant on when you move you can dig up the bulbs and take them with you!

Our white flowering Hebe is proving a real magnet for winged things- have taken a few cuttings to see if I can propagate it.

clausy
17 Jul '20

Cannas are looking lush this year. Figs, pears, apples, grape vines - South facing walls are magic.

SClare
18 Jul '20

I know this is more about the flowers in the gardens, but I was thrilled today to spot a dragonfly!! I don’t think I’ve ever seen one in my garden before. It was resting on my clothes drying outside. Unfortunately it flew off before I could take a photo!

oakr
18 Jul '20

I love seeing them as well - more often damselflies than dragonflies though did see a huge dragonfly the other day!

Clair
19 Jul '20

Another name that plant request from my mum’s garden please :slight_smile:

marymck
19 Jul '20

Balloon flower. Aka Platycodon.

Clair
19 Jul '20

Thank you Mary! I have passed it on, very much appreciated:)

SClare
19 Jul '20

I’ve never heard of damselflies! Thanks! I think it was a damselfly then. It was green and thin.

Clair
19 Jul '20

Just posting some bee pictures taken at my parents today. Lovely to see so many moving from plant to plant.
Some pics are up the wrong way again not sure why. The red flower (?) was very popular there were a lot all on different heads.

clausy
19 Jul '20

Wow that 1st one is stunning! What kit are you using?

Clair
19 Jul '20

Yes I love that one can’t believe the detail.
Just lucky I think as they weren’t staying still long. & taken on my old iPhone. Thank you though!

clausy
27 Jul '20

Update on my camellias grown from seed this year. I’m quite happy with progress!

Hogboy
27 Jul '20

Since lockdown we have gone a bit mad on plants, 30 so far from Shannons and B&Q

oakr
9 Aug '20

Had quite a few sunflowers that self seeded at the allotment, think I will try and have a sunflower area next year, not sure what else can be grown near them as I think they have something that restricts the growth of plants around them.

clausy
3 Sep '20

Randomly chucked what I think is an anemone bulb in the base of a pot last year and this happened overnight… I have to say I think it’s fab…

Dave_Benson
3 Sep '20

tigridia- very exotic

christina_1
4 Sep '20

New to the garden this year, Snapdragons :slight_smile:

oakr
10 Sep '20

I’ve always wanted a low pine like tree like this - are these a particular variety or is it just how they are pruned?

marymck
10 Sep '20

Could it be some sort of prostrate juniper? Like this …

https://www.thompson-morgan.com/p/juniperus-horizontalis-prince-of-wales/T66289TM

Londondrz
11 Sep '20

Monterey Cypress I believe.

GillB
12 Sep '20

I but snapdragons (or bunny rabbits as I call them!) every year for our garden. They are a reminder of my grandparents garden. We had some lovely ones this year from Shannon’s called ‘sunset’ very unusual. Unfortunately we haven’t got them anymore & I didn’t save a photo.

Suze
22 Sep '20

The bees were enjoying probably the last day of summer today…

oakr
27 Feb '21

It’s not spring yet but has felt like it the last few days, and quite a few flowers and blossom starting now.

Hellebore and bumble bee in the garden - I love hellebores - great for winter flowers.

Crocus and daffodils

Was lovely to see on the sun!

Thewrongtrousers
28 Feb '21

Amazing. But surely it is spring isn’t it ? This must be spring, or if it isn’t, it certainly feels like it. I have been separing my perpetual spinach and purple sprouting broccoli plants today. They were a bit crammed together through the winter, but now they are really accelerating and need some ‘lebenstraum’ - know what I mean ?

oakr
28 Feb '21

Not quite but it’s coming!

I really must do some more purples sprouting broccoli this year, did some last year but most feel to the pigeons or other animals, one is still going strong though!

Thewrongtrousers
28 Feb '21

I have a lot of plants that i planted out in the autumn of last year. They survived the winter quite well and i am now expecting great things. You have reminded me about the pigeons. I think I will have to take precautionary measures

oakr
25 Jun '21

I use to always pull up these opium poppies that self seed everywhere, but I leave quite a few now as they produce nice flowers and some pollinators love them.

ForestHull
26 Jun '21

Lovely picture that one. The rolling shutter on the wings is also interesting - the ‘slices’ are 16 pixels wide, so your camera probably has a 16-bit data bus for shifting the pixels off. If we knew the exposure time of the picture we could probably guess at how fast the wing was moving.

oakr
26 Jun '21

I’d like to say it was intentional, but just it was not, just a snap with the phone, though I was waiting for their arrival.

Foresthillnick
26 Jun '21

EXIF data gets removed on upload here doesn’t it?

ForestHull
26 Jun '21

Yep it does, but @oakr just supplied the details :slight_smile:

Irmani_Smallwood
30 Jun '21

A quick tip from me! Much as I love our local garden centres, I bought some David Austin roses from the website to augment the three I planted over the last couple of weeks. The garden centre ones were the same price but literally less than half the size of the ones directly from David Austin, and were less well rooted too. I am going to buy direct next time I plan to plant some (though not for a while as they are expensive!)

ThorNogson
22 Sep '21

Sunflowers are attracting much interest at the moment.

oakr
22 Sep '21

Lovely photo, the bee (is it a bee?) looks almost camouflaged!

ThorNogson
22 Sep '21

thanks, yes it’s some kind of bee- very small though

ClaireGayle
22 Sep '21

They may be expensive, but you can definitely tell how great the quality of them are! I don’t know if I could ever go back to mortal non-DA roses now…

Welshcake
15 Nov '21

These are the red Dragon Wing Begonias I planted in my balcony troughs this summer, interspersed with spider plants grown from cuttings. I’d love to be able to claim green fingers, but they’re incredibly low-maintenance.

ForestHull
16 Nov '21

2 posts were split to a new topic: Photo rotation

oakr
16 Nov '21

Still have a few things flowering

Hebe. Most stopped but this is one I grew from cuttings and planted out a few month ago, so it’s flowering for the first time now. The other 5 ones from cuttings I planted out later and no flowers.

Gaillardia

Lavender still just about going, really should cut it back.

Borage self seeded and started flowering recently, much later than others that have already come and gone.