Archived on 6/5/2022

Good Gym

TimLund
30 Oct '16

Don’t know if anyone saw this on BBC Breakfast yesterday

Anyway, GoodGym were also in action at Dacres Wood yesterday, where six volunteers turned up to help us clear reeds from the pond

Big thanks to Good Gym. Anyone who wants to get involved, the sign up form is here

Dave
30 Oct '16

Good Gym helped us with tree planting on Blythe Hill Fields this year as well. A brilliant idea and lovely people.

TimLund
31 Oct '16

Interesting - your Friends group have just taken some bird box flat pack we had surplus to requirements. Thanks for that!

whlsarah
7 Nov '16

I go along to good gym- it’s brilliant! You don’t have to go every week. There is one that meets in Lewisham on a Monday night. There is also a Southwark one that meets in Peckham (I think that is on a Wednesday). You don’t need to be particularly fit to join up- I would really recommend it!

TimLund
7 Nov '16

Yes - I might well go along some time.

Looking on their website I see this

GoodGym Lewisham pairs members with isolated older people. The older person becomes your coach and keeps you motivated to keep running, in exchange you bring them a newspaper and have a chat.

I’m currently spending a fair bit of time - with other family - helping my 90 year old Dad, and it struck me just how isolated and dis-orientating life must be when you’re no longer able to manage on your own, especially with so many things depending on new technologies

I worry though that I may be a bit too competitive - I want to get my time for 5k down to 20 minutes, so am looking for a club which will push me towards that goal!