Archived on 6/5/2022

Harold Daniel’s shop, Dartmouth Road

Old-Brockleyan
2 Dec '19

Harold Daniel was a racing motorcyclist who rode Nortons in the Isle of Man TT
https://www.iomtt.com/tt-database/competitors?ride_id=745
He had a shop in Dartmouth Road, probably where The Hair Lounge is now. He always had interesting bikes in the window, this is 1950’s & 1960’s. I remember the first Norton Commando in his window. He used to do MoT testing of bikes. I had a motor assisted bicycle and I took it to him for testing. I have a strong memory of him, a TT rider, in his white coat and pebble glasses, riding my motorised pushbike along Dartmouth Road, no helmet or anything like that of course in those days. He tested it 2 years running and I have his autograph on the two pass certificates.

I bought the motor for the push bike, a Trojan Minimotor, made in Croydon, for 30/- From Buckley’s bicycle shop. also on Dartmouth Road. Buckley was, I think, a minor frame builder too.

All gone now, all the shops seem to be takeaways.

bigmacca1
2 Dec '19

I believe John Surtees father also had a m/cycle shop or workshop on Dartmouth Rd, You also had Myers Motorcycle on stanstead Rd, He was into his bike racing.

Big motorsport heritage in SE23? Anyone know any others ?

Regards.

Nivag
3 Dec '19

Cameron Horsman is a current motorcycle racer that lives locally.

http://cameronhorsman.co.uk/

Foresthillnick
3 Dec '19

This has been linked to before on this short thread

It also mentions Harold Daniell’s shop.

se23blue
3 Dec '19

John Surtees father (Jack) had a shop at 2 Sunderland Road…

Old-Brockleyan
6 Dec '19

Hallo Donald also se23blue and bigmacca1

I did not know about the Jack Surtees shop in Sunderland Road but I remember the big John Surtees shop elsewhere out Croydon way.

What did Jack Surtees sell?

Joe Dumphy had a bike shop in Lower Sydenham, used to tune up brakes.

Myers Motors was a good source of bits for old bikes too and who can forget Snide and Shark in Brixton. Pride & Clark for the uninitiated.

Denis Jenkinson, the famous “Jenks” lived as a boy in Hengrave Road, see attachments

Of course there is the Crystal Palace racing circuit, stopped due to the noise. I used to enjoy listening to it it when we lived in Beckenham, just on the edge of Penge (Where there were NO bungalows… that’s for Rumpole fans). It was the finish for the 1900
1000Mile trial, and much else motoringwise.

Regards

Graham C

···

From: team@se23.life team@se23.life on behalf of Donald White via SE23.life team@se23.life
Sent: 03 December 2019 11:45
To: gbchivrall@hotmail.com gbchivrall@hotmail.com
Subject: SE23.life: Harold Daniel’s shop, Dartmouth Road [Shops]

se23blue
se23blue

December 3
John Surtees father (Jack) had a shop at 2 Sunderland Road…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond (will be posted publicly on the forum).

In Reply To

bigmacca1
bigmacca1

December 2
I believe John Surtees father also had a m/cycle shop or workshop on Dartmouth Rd, You also had Myers Motorcycle on stanstead Rd, He was into his bike racing. Big motorsport heritage in SE23? Anyone …

Visit
Topic
or reply to this email to respond (will be posted publicly on the forum).

To unsubscribe from these emails,
click here

anon5422159
6 Dec '19

Thanks for sharing, @Old-Brockleyan - I love historic photos like these.

JohnH1
6 Dec '19

Alan Thurgood who raced, I think, a Matchless in the early 60’s lived in Waldram Park Road.

JohnH1
6 Dec '19

Sorry, I should have said Westbourne Drive.

bigmacca1
6 Dec '19

Nice old pictures there

se23blue
3 Feb '20

A picture taken by Norman D’Alquen showing Jack Surtees shop at 2 Sunderland Road
Imgur