Archived on 6/5/2022

Has anyone been able to book a covid test locally (or elsewhere) this week?

oakr
15 Sep '20

A number of children at my son’s school need covid tests but the parents have been unable to book any, and I believe no luck with the do it at home ones either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on times to book, places to try etc?

I believe they have tried turning up at local ones, O2 etc also and been turned away as you have to book, only when you go to book there are no slots…

I’ve plenty I’d like to say about this but in the interest of keeping this on topic and helpful let’s try and avoid a politicial discussion!

I suspect the majority of parents \ carers will need to go through at some point as it’s rare to get through winter with kids in school without fevers \ coughs etc. Capacity seems to already be buckling so I sincerly hope it can ramp up hugely in the coming weeks.

ChrisR
15 Sep '20

I don’t know if this will help but this was in the mayor’s weekly email on 28th August:

And this was posted on Facebook by Lewisham Council 5 days ago:

But listening to the news there’s problems getting appointments for testing or even getting the home test kits sent all over the country. So the problem appears to be a lack of the testing kits rather than appointments!

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

Testing is stretched to say the least. This is not helped by around 25% of people turning up having no Covid symptoms at all.

Only go if you have any of the well described symptoms.

Hollow
16 Sep '20

Why do children at schools need tests?

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

They don’t unless they display and of the Covid symptoms. However, watching the BBC this morning a number of parents wanted them for “piece of mind”. This is just bloody selfish and they were unashamed about it.

If you or your kids have the well know Covid signs then seek a test. If they don’t then please don’t try and book one, you could be putting people at risk.

Beige
16 Sep '20

I don’t really understand this… if you are selfish enough to consume a test when not having the required symptoms then why do you care so much about whether you might spread it to others? I must be missing something.

Children show covid symptoms fairly often and, combined with extra sensitivity to the symptom list (such as the definition of continuous cough), many are being sent home until they receive a negative result or sit out the wait (2 weeks+/?).

oakr
16 Sep '20

If they have symptons they are not allowed in school, and I believe the household then isolates (I need to double check this but believe it’s correct). So children who have been off school for months and back only a few days are now off. Also I believe if multiple children show symptons decisions might be made on sending all children home etc in that bubble.

Indeed, and over winter this will be worse, with lots of kids coughing and having temperatures. Most I suspect will not be covid but how to know, especially as symptons are meant to be milder in kids.

oakr
16 Sep '20

Thanks Chris - they tried those I believe - last night they were going to try heathrow as someone had managed to get a test near there - I think they release slots at various times but not sure when.

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

This is why we are having issues. This makes me very very angry…

oakr
16 Sep '20

Well that is wrong, the parents I know all their kids have fevers and sore throats, or one or the other, and have been advised to get tests. They are all trying to be good citizens but it is difficult to know and will be more so over winter. Our son has a cold but we are sending him in, he gets a snot build up in the morning so coughs then but is then fine, so we are good but it is hard to know and also a small window before school opens.

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

In full.

ForestHull
16 Sep '20

I think this is every parent’s worry right now - especially as the season changes and kids get seasonal coughs and colds. I guess it’s ultimately down to what the school classes as covid symptoms, but with year group bubbles and years of between 60 and 90 pupils it’s hard to see how this is going to go well, and indeed some local schools have already had problems e.g. Year 4 at Adamsrill.

Perhaps schools themselves should be given a small supply of covid tests, both for pupils and staff, but that doesn’t help your situation at present :frowning:

I also hear private tests are available, which seems so morally wrong on all sorts of different levels, but if it were me in this situation I think I’d certainly be looking in to the option.

Fingers crossed for you that this works out soon :crossed_fingers:

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

To put it into perspective, 20.6% of adolescents in the UK die from cancer. I don’t see a rush on cancer testing.

Covid tests are the new panic buy.

Lj
16 Sep '20

Completely agree. I was slightly infuriated at the very beginning of lockdown when every Tom, Dick and Harry who weren’t leaving the house at all were using up Covid testing because “their app recommended it” because they had a high temperature and no other symptoms. This then resulted in many tests then not being available to essential workers (like myself) who were working in the public.

I suspect this may be one of the reasons why we now have a shortage of testing.

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

100% accurate.

ForestHull
16 Sep '20

Indeed, but policy doesn’t dictate that an adolescent with (confirmed) cancer causes the whole year group at school to be isolated at home for 2 weeks.

I think you mean another panic buy. I don’t disagree :frowning:

Beige
16 Sep '20

This can’t possibly be correct. Do you mean 20.6% of adolescent deaths are caused by cancer?

Lj
16 Sep '20

Out of curiosity…why is there such a big fuss surrounding children/school Covid cases versus other industries? Genuinely perplexed by it.

Unless a child is living with a vulnerable person and has the potential to bring it home how is a school environment more high-risk than any other industry with large numbers of workers?

Beige
16 Sep '20

Regarding schools, I feel the risk is more to families’ ability to live their lives / do their jobs / receive education than their long term health. Schools are particularly problematic with respect to this because of:

• Large bubbles, high degree of contact, inability to trace contacts within bubbles

• Many people can work from home and maintain effectiveness, while older kids may be able to study alone at home, many will struggle to and for younger children they will often prevent a parent from working

oakr
16 Sep '20

Well for one I suspect most (and I am talking primary school here) adults don’t run around the playground chasing each other during breaktime! Essentially it’s harder to ensure primary age kids vs adults adhere to best practice rules, no matter what procedures shools put in place (I accept primary age children are less likely to go to raves etc!).

The main issue I think is how many people can be affected is a whole class or school gets sent home.

ForestHull
16 Sep '20

I think you are correct - see ‘neoplasms’ in this study.

Lj
16 Sep '20

Yeah I understand the “they’re harder to manage” element. But what is the actual risk of children getting Covid? I know we don’t have the full studies yet to establish but I thought they were the at lowest risk age bracket with very little effect. They also have their schools socially distanced a lot better than some industries can practically implement.

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

Source:

Beige
16 Sep '20

OK,
“Cancers remain the most common cause of death for children aged 1 to 15 years, accounting for 20.6% of deaths in 2016.”

Not the same as 2 out of every 10 children dying of cancer.

oakr
16 Sep '20

I don’t know but I believe you are correct they are lowest risk category (generally - there are exceptions) in terms of the effect on them. There are of course also teachers and school staff who may be worried \ affected.

I think what is more unknown is transmission, and so I assume the potential might be large.

Either way, parents are just trying to follow government and school guidance to get tested when their children have symptons, but they can’t do that, and if they then follow guidance they have to isolate at home for 2 weeks (or is it 1 now?) for what might just be a seasonal cough for a 24 hour temperature, which all parents will be more than familiar with and would normally just brush off.

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

My issue is with parents who’s kids have a slight cough and have had it for a day or a slightly raised temperature. Kids get colds.

It’s about measured proportionality.

As I have said, the symptoms are really really well known.

If your child has these then get tested. But you can’t because people are panicking again.

oakr
16 Sep '20

Are they though - I’ve seen (but in fairness without checking them yet) that symptoms in kids can be a bit different to adults.

This has been circulating but not sure on it’s accuracy in fairness https://covid.joinzoe.com/post/back-to-school

From the article linked

The top five symptoms in school aged children who test positive for COVID are; fatigue (55%) headache (53%), fever (49%), sore throat (38%) and loss of appetite (35%). This was different compared to the App’s data on adults; fatigue (87%), headache (72%), loss of smell (60%), persistent cough (54%) and sore throat (49%). In addition to this, research from the app has also found that one in six (15%) children who test positive for COVID also present with an unusual skin rash.

People often seem to get different answers calling 111 etc.

Well I know for sure one parent has been told their child has symptoms, but they will not book them a test as they have run out, so they have to quarantine now…

I’m not sure you can definitively say this is all down to people panicking (or maybe you can!). I suspect this is a combination of not enough tests available for the post school surge, and other surges as peak covid areas emerge as well as some people getting tests who should not - where that balance lies is hard to say but I can’t believe this is all down to people asking for tests who don’t need them.

Fundamentally we are going to need a huge increase in testing and \ or some revised guidance no who gets tested.

Beige
16 Sep '20

But what about a 37.8 temperature? Or a cough that, no matter how mild, has had them sent home from school?

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

I posted it up there here earlier but here it is:

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

It’s all out there:

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

We had this at nursery and primary school. It took both of us an hour to leave work and get to the school only to find a very happy child with a slightly elevated temp. This is pre Covid.

These days a sneeze seems to panic people.

A sense of proportionality and a level headedness seems lacking sometimes.

clausy
16 Sep '20

This seems to be it. Splashed all over the news. Tests are the new toilet paper. I had one a couple of weeks ago, drove to Gatwick, and the huge test centre was almost empty. The next day there was some story about how they were moving testing up North, mentioned test availability for some reason and from then on it’s been non stop coverage.

Having said that, 6 months down the line you’d think they had the process sorted already. Last week we were extolling the fact the positive numbers were so high and deaths were low because we were so great at testing.

Beige
16 Sep '20

If only it was that easy. The link below says 37.8 - I was wondering if that exceeded your threshold of ‘slight raised’.

ChrisR
16 Sep '20

@oakr Just seen this on Twitter. Might be worthwhile one of the parents who can’t get a test contacting BBCLondon News!

Beige
16 Sep '20

I’m actually wondering if the guidance has changed from 37.8 to 38…

I know at Center Parcs they will not let you in the Tropical Paradise with a temp of 37.8 or above :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: and the same at my little one’s nursery, but these might be legacy decisions.

ForestHull
16 Sep '20

Ha - I just saw the same/similar article:

Plans to prioritise coronavirus tests and put NHS staff at the top of the list will be published in the coming days, the justice secretary has said.

People in care homes would also be a priority, while schools could also be considered, Robert Buckland said.

Emphasis mine.

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

This is current testing levels. So unless everyone decided to get Covid all of a sudden this seems to be our glorious press at work again.

clausy
16 Sep '20

213k/243k tests vs capacity (pillar 1&2 is the swab test) is 87% capacity so the bottleneck is clearly getting people in for testing, although 87% isn’t a disaster - still capacity for an extra 30k a day.

I’m surprised the antibody testing is so underused, although I guess a positive result here means what… you’ve had it, so then what - do you walk around like a superhuman and not worry?

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

Less likely but I don’t think we really know. Personally I wouldn’t risk it.

http://www.emro.who.int/health-topics/corona-virus/transmission-of-covid-19-by-asymptomatic-cases.html#:~:text=Available%20evidence%20from%20contact%20tracing,transmission%20of%20the%20virus.

clausy
16 Sep '20

Right - that was why I suspect it’s underused in relation to the pillar 1&2 - because the implications of either +/- outcome are unclear.

robin.orton
16 Sep '20

The angry and judgmental tone of some of the comments in this thread makes me feel ill.

Beige
16 Sep '20

I’m unsure which comments exactly, but don’t you think that tests not being available for those who have been instructed to take them is something to be angry about? Particularly given the lack of explanation and the predictability of the current state of affairs.

ForestHull
16 Sep '20

10 posts were split to a new topic: Consultation on Human Medicine Regulations

robin.orton
16 Sep '20

Abusing worried people or parents who don’t know what to do for the best is what I dislike. There are other directions in which anger might more properly be directed, but I would incur the wrath of the mods if I suggested what they might be.

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

My anger was directed at people abusing the system in place of those that really need it.

I am sorry if you feel this is wrong but that is what I feel.

applespider
16 Sep '20

I was scheduled to have a monthly test this week as part of the ONS study but my tester hasn’t been in touch (and it’s usually a Wednesday) so perhaps they’re focusing on having test capacity where it’s needed.

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

We were tested last week on the same study and they did mention that there had been a large uptake in people volunteering. Also, we were tested a week early?? So who knows.

Hollow
16 Sep '20

Children don’t need COVID tests. That is utter non-sense. Any school mandating it is breaking the law.

It is only recommendation. And it says on the Government website quote “schools should not request evidence of negative test results or other medical evidence before admitting children or welcoming them back after a period of self-isolation”.

Beige
16 Sep '20

They need the test IF they wish to avoid self-isolating their household for 10+ days for a non-covid cough/temp.

It’s guidance which can (a) help control the virus through track and trace and (b) save many days/hours of inconvience / unpaid leave etc etc

oakr
16 Sep '20

That’s all fine if you can work from home and don’t want contact with other people and are not concerned with your child falling behind at school (and keep in mind children will likely get symptoms more than once a school year), but those that can’t they have to stop working for that period.

It also stops any analysis on local covid cases in an area and would slow down reaction time for local outbreaks, either in the borough or in the school itself etc.

I don’t really understand people’s objections to this - anyway the original question was around has anyone managed to get a test to which I guess the answer is no!

GillB
16 Sep '20

On GMB this morning someone had contacted them to say they couldn’t get a test for their 2 year old!!
Apart from the fact that 2 year olds are always getting colds, viruses etc,…what are the chances of the parent/s getting Covid from him? If he is at nursery or going to a childminder & unwell , he isn’t going to be welcomed anyway!

Clair
16 Sep '20

I read somewhere that behind Laurence House in car park are opening every 3 days think it started this week.
Why they don’t open everyday, as there is a need in Lewisham with schools open & more people returning to work.
Staff at work aren’t able to get tests so can’t return yet.

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

The thing is, you only need a test if you have symptoms.

Clair
16 Sep '20

Yes I know one of the staff has symptoms (can’t get a test) & another staff member her Son has symptoms did get a test (last week) but they have to stay off till results come back.
Children have been off and no positives have arisen yet. We all hope it stays that way, because it’s lovely seeing the children enjoying school & friends. As well as management, teachers & TA’s doing what they love best. Trying to be as normal as possible.

It’s a hard one with schools as colds/coughs always go around this time of year for adults & children as schools return, & boost immune systems for new the academic year.

Some parents are worried, some staff are worried.
Just a shame every cough I hear makes me wonder… Like just before lockdown my senses were over active and you could hear someone cough aisles away in the supermarket.

Beige
16 Sep '20

If he has covid, possibly high, I would guess, depending on how parents deal with it.

Disagree, kids with mild temperatures and coughs who did not seem very unwell were previously welcome at the nursery my little ones go to. Now they are not welcome for at least 10 days if they present a symptom, in the absence of a test.

This is part of the issue. If parents have to take 2+ weeks off work whenever one of their kids has a symptom this is a real burden. A burden I was hoping readily available testing would help lighten.

Beige
16 Sep '20

I’m fairly sure the limiting factor is how many tests can be processed, not how many appointments given and swabs taken, so offering longer opening hours would not help.

Clair
16 Sep '20

True. More tests should of been made available knowing that schools & workforce’s returning. Lots of people are trying to do their best to protect themselves & others and isolate if symptoms arise but also want clarification ASAP so can return if negative (although tests aren’t 100% accurate).

Londondrz
16 Sep '20

There are over 250,000 tests a day. It’s not a case of more tests should have been available, it’s a case of there are not enough labs and lab testers available. No money can in the world can ramp up testing, facilities and staff in as short a period as we have seen. Remember we have gone from 0 to 250,000 a day in less than six months. That’s 91 million a year at current rates.

Even the worst critics must acknowledge that it’s a pretty good effort.

anon5422159
16 Sep '20

It’s a brilliant effort as far as I’m concerned. When I needed a test kit for my son, it arrived swiftly and was processed swiftly.

For government and civil service to put this system in place within a few weeks would be remarkable at any time, let alone at a time when the NHS and civil service is hampered by a global pandemic.

Clair
16 Sep '20

Wow didn’t know it was that many a day. That would explain the rise and in positive cases over the last lot of weeks too then I suppose.
My Son recently received a letter for testing as part of largest research study in England in September. Home test will be arriving by 30th Sept.

ForestHull
16 Sep '20

The current level of testing is fantastic.

But if it cannot quickly be further increased, perhaps access to childcare and schools shouldn’t be predicated on having negative test results or waiting 14 days after a ‘covid event’.

For example, my children’s school has the following policy:

So that’s possibly 30, 90 or a whole school of children potentially wanting tests before they can return.

Spoiler alert, someone in the school got a positive Covid test result today.

Lj
17 Sep '20

Here is a photo (taken by me this morning) to give a perspective of how socially distanced public transport is and why I have argued about road closures affecting people’s ability to alternatively drive to work. This has been the situation for a long time now.

To also respond to the argument that kids are the least manageable to social distance, I’m inclined to disagree. I think a lot of people for a very long time now have been put at risk of catching Covid every day on public transport yet can’t bemoan it because they have no alternative…

Hollow
17 Sep '20

That school policy doesn’t sound feasible at all. I’m guessing most parents think it’s a joke too. Having to send a whole class home everytime someone tests positive? Not going to happen.

Nice photo btw. Reminds me how horrible the tube is for your health. Mental health, respiratory health and now it’s full of scared people with masks on.

Lj
17 Sep '20

Many commuters aren’t wearing masks. And I don’t think people are as “scared” as you imply. I certainly am not scared of coronavirus - I personally don’t believe it’s that harmful anymore to the majority of the population and I think these tweets sums up my feelings:

Personal opinion aside I had a family member die from the virus at the beginning of the pandemic and so would like to do whatever small precaution I can to protect others who might not have good health like myself who are at risk. So I will continue to wear my mask, not out of fear but out of compassion for others.

clausy
17 Sep '20

Can we keep this thread on the topic of tips on how and where to get local testing please. If you want to discuss things like herd immunity then please segway over to the consultation on human medicine regulations thread - thanks.

John_Wilson
17 Sep '20

@Lj Where do I get those black masks everyone is wearing? I feel like they might stop me seeing - and some guy seems to have put his on a pole!

clausy
17 Sep '20

Back on topic I said! OK it’s funny, I’m ok with this :slight_smile:

ChrisR
17 Sep '20

FYI - somebody I know who lives in West Wickham (BR4) posted on a Facebook group we’re both in that having heard about the problems an acquaintance had trying to get a test he checked where he would have to go if he needed one and the system offered him a choice of 19 appointments in Catford! So if you know of people who are still having problems then it might be worth them trying using a BR4 postcode!

Beige
17 Sep '20

These were offered all over London and catford-twitter is blaming this for the gridlock there this afternoon (along with the fact people were not actually able to confirm these appointments).

ChrisR
18 Sep '20

Crazy - the booking system doesn’t seem fit for purpose!

oakr
20 Sep '20

I thought I’d give an update in the interests of balance.

Whilst some people have gone the full 10 day isolation period without getting a test, others have now been able to book tests, some within 24 hours for drive through (admittedly an hour or more drive away). I’m not aware of anyone actually getting a result yet, which I guess shows the strain the actually analysis side is facing.

Some people now have a sibling of the original child showing symptoms, those are desperate for a test.

With the bugs that go around over winter, I’m really not sure how the system will cope, maybe it won’t. I’m hopeful things improve, and they will need to.

Dave
20 Sep '20

As a matter of interest, when you say “the full 10 day isolation period” do you mean people who had close contact and subsequently developed symptoms themselves?

oakr
20 Sep '20

Sorry no I mean the person (child in this case) who had the symptoms.