Has anyone been able to book a covid test locally (or elsewhere) this week?

A number of children at my son’s school need covid tests but the parents have been unable to book any, and I believe no luck with the do it at home ones either.

Does anyone have any suggestions on times to book, places to try etc?

I believe they have tried turning up at local ones, O2 etc also and been turned away as you have to book, only when you go to book there are no slots…

I’ve plenty I’d like to say about this but in the interest of keeping this on topic and helpful let’s try and avoid a politicial discussion!

I suspect the majority of parents \ carers will need to go through at some point as it’s rare to get through winter with kids in school without fevers \ coughs etc. Capacity seems to already be buckling so I sincerly hope it can ramp up hugely in the coming weeks.

I don’t know if this will help but this was in the mayor’s weekly email on 28th August:

And this was posted on Facebook by Lewisham Council 5 days ago:

But listening to the news there’s problems getting appointments for testing or even getting the home test kits sent all over the country. So the problem appears to be a lack of the testing kits rather than appointments!

3 Likes

Testing is stretched to say the least. This is not helped by around 25% of people turning up having no Covid symptoms at all.

Only go if you have any of the well described symptoms.

3 Likes

Why do children at schools need tests?

1 Like

They don’t unless they display and of the Covid symptoms. However, watching the BBC this morning a number of parents wanted them for “piece of mind”. This is just bloody selfish and they were unashamed about it.

If you or your kids have the well know Covid signs then seek a test. If they don’t then please don’t try and book one, you could be putting people at risk.

3 Likes

I don’t really understand this… if you are selfish enough to consume a test when not having the required symptoms then why do you care so much about whether you might spread it to others? I must be missing something.

Children show covid symptoms fairly often and, combined with extra sensitivity to the symptom list (such as the definition of continuous cough), many are being sent home until they receive a negative result or sit out the wait (2 weeks+/?).

1 Like

If they have symptons they are not allowed in school, and I believe the household then isolates (I need to double check this but believe it’s correct). So children who have been off school for months and back only a few days are now off. Also I believe if multiple children show symptons decisions might be made on sending all children home etc in that bubble.

Indeed, and over winter this will be worse, with lots of kids coughing and having temperatures. Most I suspect will not be covid but how to know, especially as symptons are meant to be milder in kids.

3 Likes

Thanks Chris - they tried those I believe - last night they were going to try heathrow as someone had managed to get a test near there - I think they release slots at various times but not sure when.

This is why we are having issues. This makes me very very angry…

4 Likes

Well that is wrong, the parents I know all their kids have fevers and sore throats, or one or the other, and have been advised to get tests. They are all trying to be good citizens but it is difficult to know and will be more so over winter. Our son has a cold but we are sending him in, he gets a snot build up in the morning so coughs then but is then fine, so we are good but it is hard to know and also a small window before school opens.

3 Likes

In full.

2 Likes

I think this is every parent’s worry right now - especially as the season changes and kids get seasonal coughs and colds. I guess it’s ultimately down to what the school classes as covid symptoms, but with year group bubbles and years of between 60 and 90 pupils it’s hard to see how this is going to go well, and indeed some local schools have already had problems e.g. Year 4 at Adamsrill.

Perhaps schools themselves should be given a small supply of covid tests, both for pupils and staff, but that doesn’t help your situation at present :frowning:

I also hear private tests are available, which seems so morally wrong on all sorts of different levels, but if it were me in this situation I think I’d certainly be looking in to the option.

Fingers crossed for you that this works out soon :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

To put it into perspective, 20.6% of adolescents in the UK die from cancer. I don’t see a rush on cancer testing.

Covid tests are the new panic buy.

6 Likes

Completely agree. I was slightly infuriated at the very beginning of lockdown when every Tom, Dick and Harry who weren’t leaving the house at all were using up Covid testing because “their app recommended it” because they had a high temperature and no other symptoms. This then resulted in many tests then not being available to essential workers (like myself) who were working in the public.

I suspect this may be one of the reasons why we now have a shortage of testing.

2 Likes

100% accurate.

1 Like

Indeed, but policy doesn’t dictate that an adolescent with (confirmed) cancer causes the whole year group at school to be isolated at home for 2 weeks.

I think you mean another panic buy. I don’t disagree :frowning:

This can’t possibly be correct. Do you mean 20.6% of adolescent deaths are caused by cancer?

1 Like

Out of curiosity…why is there such a big fuss surrounding children/school Covid cases versus other industries? Genuinely perplexed by it.

Unless a child is living with a vulnerable person and has the potential to bring it home how is a school environment more high-risk than any other industry with large numbers of workers?

3 Likes

Regarding schools, I feel the risk is more to families’ ability to live their lives / do their jobs / receive education than their long term health. Schools are particularly problematic with respect to this because of:

• Large bubbles, high degree of contact, inability to trace contacts within bubbles

• Many people can work from home and maintain effectiveness, while older kids may be able to study alone at home, many will struggle to and for younger children they will often prevent a parent from working

3 Likes

Well for one I suspect most (and I am talking primary school here) adults don’t run around the playground chasing each other during breaktime! Essentially it’s harder to ensure primary age kids vs adults adhere to best practice rules, no matter what procedures shools put in place (I accept primary age children are less likely to go to raves etc!).

The main issue I think is how many people can be affected is a whole class or school gets sent home.

2 Likes