Archived on 6/5/2022

Has re-opening of London Bridge station improved your commute?

Anotherjohn
30 Aug '16

With all the media hype over the weekend about the partial reopening of London Bridge station, I wondered if it’s all been worth the wait for the unfortunate SE23ers who’ve had to suffer years of disturbance due to the re-vamp.

Bolgerp
30 Aug '16

I passed through it this morning on my way in. Unless you need to go downstairs, you probably won’t notice much difference… now that trains to Charing Cross are running again, I believe they all go from platform 8 and 9, which is on the same level as the FH trains so I am hoping it’s just a case of crossing over to the new platforms. I might try that journey back this evening to see how that will work…

starman
30 Aug '16

I’ll tell you in about 30 minutes.

starman
30 Aug '16

OMG. So easy. Arrived on platform 11. Down the steps onto the new concourse which is cathedral like. Up escalator to platform 9 (for all Charing Cross trains) where trains are pretty much every few minutes. Stopped for a most excellent coffee from charity changeplease.org teaching homeless people to become baristas.

Of course its not rush hour but whole journey wonderful.

Bolgerp
30 Aug '16

Why did you need to go down and back up again? Aren’t 9 an 11 in the same area? As far as I could see, they’re not separated from each other (but I could be wrong). Or did you just want to have a look at the new concourse?

starman
30 Aug '16

Unless the platforms are on the same “platform” such as 8 and 9, or 10 and 11 then you have to cross over rail tracks. The only way is to go down to the concourse and up. Remember that trains arriving to and from Charing Cross on platforms 8 and 9 are through trains so no “end of track” to go around like in platforms 10 through 15.

But seriously, its no issue. Took all of 3-4 minutes to make the change.

Bolgerp
30 Aug '16

Ah… I didn’t realise they are “through” trains… thought it was a reverse in and out sort of thing… that makes more sense…

anon64893700
30 Aug '16

Blimey, that looks epic!! :open_mouth:

Anotherjohn
30 Aug '16

Thanks all.
Looks like so-far-so-good then.

Michael
30 Aug '16

The train from London Bridge to Waterloo went straight-through without pausing for breath. So it is slightly quicker than the Canada Water route. FH to London Bridge in 15 minutes. Change train and travel to Waterloo approximately 10 minutes. Still probably quicker to go via Canada Water on the way home.

starman
30 Aug '16

Since moving into the SE23 hood I’ve been taking the bus to Catford Bridge and then Southeastern direct into Charing Cross. I could’ve used the Canada Water route then Jubilee/Northern lines but I hate hate hate the underground.

starman
30 Aug '16

A key objective for the project was the untangling of lines through London Bridge which used to criss cross and create backlog and delays. This graphic gives a simple view of how this will be corrected.

squashst
30 Aug '16

Yes the station does look rather futuristic. An additional plus is there are many more entrances/exits to platforms 10/15. So when the train stops at platform 10/15 instead of slogging down to the main set of barriers, each platform has an escalator down to the lower concourse and you exit onto the street by the Shard (and of course the reverse when taking train from London Bridge). Good if you are at rear of train.
The only possible drawback I can see is when the escaltors up to 7/8/9 go out of action as it is quite a a lot of steps. (yes there are lifts I know).
All it needs now is a station bar (and a train service without strikes).

Bolgerp
30 Aug '16

Once the schools go back/holidays are over, I’ll be interested to see how it copes with full demand!

anon64893700
30 Aug '16

Should be very interesting indeed. If their plans and models have worked it will be slightly more organised chaos than usual.

anon17648011
30 Aug '16

Just checking, but I’m assuming there are still no direct trains from FH to any of Canon St, Charing Cross, Thameslink?

Bolgerp
30 Aug '16

Correct, unfortunately… a direct to Charing Cross would be very handy…

rbmartin
30 Aug '16

Changes to walking routes if using the upper level concourse.

RachaelDunlop
30 Aug '16

All of a sudden I’m looking forward to my trip to Covent Garden next week. It seemed like forever when they said they were stopping the through trains for 18 months, but we seem to have managed. It’s easy to forget in London how privileged we are with the number of alternative routes we have, even if they aren’t always particularly convenient.

squashst
31 Aug '16

Film of the redevelopment of London Bridge Station… the previous London Bridge station - mid 1970s!

Nostalgicviewing and a different era for Health & Safety - spot the safety helmets (you’ll have to look long and hard). And management meetings really were held in smoke filled rooms. Film produced by British Transport Films…

starman
31 Aug '16

Looks like there are some teething problem on the reopened London Bridge to Charing Cross link. Was like this in reverse yesterday evening.

Bolgerp
1 Sep '16

So… coming from Forest Hill into LBG hasn’t changed at all, that I can tell. However, I do get the 06.54 train and it’s always been quiet. I do not transfer onto another train at LBG but get the bus into Aldwych… apart from the current diversion on the 521, all is as was.

However, I have tried the CHX to LBG and then onto FOH in the evening. The trains from CHX absolutely CRAWL between CHX and LBG. It took me nearly 20 minutes on Tuesday evening…a journey that is timetabled to be 8 minutes. It took the other half slightly longer last night. This is something to bear in mind if trying to make a connection.

Also, I found the interchange between the the “through” platforms (i.e. from CHX) and the Terminus platforms (i.e. the FOH trains) confusing but once you’ve done it once, it should be okay.

Not to mention the chaos that ensued yesterday with points failures etc. etc.

Not a great start but there are always teething problems.

starman
1 Sep '16

Having done the interchange at LBG a few times now, it couldn’t be simpler. Down the escalator, over a few platforms, back up and on your train.

RachaelDunlop
1 Sep '16

Everything was running slow last night due to signal failures at Leeisham so it might not have been typical.

starman
1 Sep '16

That was the first problem. Fallout from the morning signalling issue. However just before 6pm there was also a broken down train between LBG and CHX. That pretty much screws up everything.

Bolgerp
2 Sep '16

The horrid slow journey between CHX and LBG actually ruins the entire experience…

Michael
2 Sep '16

My only criticism was a few days ago when I last used LBG in the morning; going up to the Charing Cross platforms all the escalators were going down, and I had to walk up the stairs. I count this as exercise, which I try to keep to a strict minimum.

General rule with escalators: keep at least one going up, rather than three going down. People need escalators to go up more than they need to go down.

starman
2 Sep '16

I was there that day too. Thank the almighty for lift.

starman
2 Sep '16

Everything ran smoothly today. Caught the 8:45 from FOH. Quick and easy interchange at LBG. Arriving CHX by 9:12.

RachaelDunlop
2 Sep '16

Has the London Bridge to Charing X continued to be slow? I’m heading that way next week.

Edited to say I cross-posted with starman. Sounds like smooth running now.

Michael
2 Sep '16

I found that the journey from LBX to Waterloo East was slightly faster than it was before the new viaduct was in use, but just slow enough to pick up items at the vast number of Pokestops along the route, which was handy as I had run out of Pokeballs the other morning.

AndyS
2 Sep '16

Brilliant! Thanks for posting. It’s a reminder of how quickly the ‘new’ London Bridge station became a horrible, dingey eyesore almost immediately. That shade of brown was never fashionable.

I have to say, although I haven’t tried catching the CHX train yet (I’ve recently started doing some work near Cannon Street - so I’m back on the 521), I love, love, love the new station.

Baboonery
5 Sep '16

Afraid I’m not impressed with it. The largest office development in the area is abysmally served by entrances and exits - at night, anyone working in More London has to walk virtually to the diametric opposite of the station to get in the place, with the Hays Galleria footbridge shut and the eastern entrance to the concourse only open in the AM peak.

starman
5 Sep '16

Im not sure its finished yet which is probably causing the access issues you mention. I gather there are many parts still under renovation and pedestrian traffic has to be managed.

Baboonery
5 Sep '16

Oh absolutely it’s unfinished. But the planning of access to the station has been so terrible and passenger-hating throughout this sorry process that I find it difficult to have any enthusiasm for what may lie ahead. Deliberately closing half your entrances for supposed overcrowding issues, and refusing to respond to requests to reveal the modelling that indicates there would be a problem, just pointing to the remaining entrances and going ‘LOOK, OVERCROWDING THERE, DO YOU SEE?!’ is not good enough.

RachaelDunlop
6 Sep '16

I’m not impressed with the information available when changing from the Charing Cross train. I descended the escalators. The only information boards showed ultimate destinations and platforms. No breakdown of where trains were stopping. I headed towards platforms 10 and onwards only because I guessed FH trains still depart from there. At that end I found boards with the full breakdown so I could see which train was the next to stop at FH. That information is needed much closer to the interchange with the through trains. Unless it was behind me…?

Dave
6 Sep '16

On information availability, I am not an expert but I always find the orange on black screens incredibly difficult to read at a distance and I am amazed that they appear to be the Network Rail standard. I guess they’re more reliable and cheaper to maintain over the long run than the alternatives.

starman
6 Sep '16

I hadn’t noticed this issue. Though to be honest, I tend to have already determined which train and from which platform by using the National Rail app.

anon17648011
6 Sep '16

Quick question: if going from Southern into LB to underground do you still have to pass through 2 sets of ticket barriers? If so, when using PAYG I assume you are charged two separate journeys (ie Forest Hill to LB then LB onwards on LU)?

If that’s the case then it’s really not fair and they should update the software so you are not charged again so long as you make your onward journey immediately.

comoed
6 Sep '16

It’s what’s called a through fare. Is a lot more expensive than the same trip via the overground but a little cheaper than the overground if just going to London Bridge. The pricing structure is all to do the cross charging agreement with the national rail operators

Dave
6 Sep '16

Can you expand on what you mean? Not fair compared to what?

rbmartin
6 Sep '16

@Dave Basically if you touch out at London Bridge and touch in again at the tube station, there is a premium single fare for travelling that way. (Except for Waterloo, Southwark, Embankment, Charing Cross and Cannon St during the LB works where the National Rail fare is charged)

For example, a Zone 1 journey to Leicester Square via London Bridge is £4 off-peak or £5 peak. However, the same journey via Canada Water using the Overground and tube is £2.80 off-peak or £3.30 peak, this is because the fare is priced by Transport for London and wholly using their services.

anon17648011
7 Sep '16

What I mean by “not fair” is that people living in South London (especially SE) are far more reliant on overland rail services. Since these have been brought into the Oyster system it seems unfair that I cannot make a journey from (say) Forest Hill to Moorgate travelling by Southern into LB then N Line to Moorgate all on the same fare (which should be the same fare as if I was doing the same journey via Canada Water).

I used to live in Highbury and commuters there can take the national rail service into Moorgate where they can access the LU services WITHOUT having to touch in/out on oyster and I believe you paid exactly the same fair as if you had just taken the LU. Since London is zoned, why can’t the fairs be based purely on the Zones - why does using the overland rail service carry a premium?

starman
7 Sep '16

There is a lot about TfL and associated services which are not fair.

I never understood why I had to pay for two single fares if I had to take a bus AND an underground train as part of my journey or had to use two buses. Especially if I so desired could travel to all 270 stations of the underground on one ticket. And this disparity is from within the TfL network. At least one positive step forward is the creation of the Bus Hopper ticket allowing two bus journeys for the price of one if taken within an hour.

I guess the problem here is deciding how the franchised rail operators, or LUL get their fair share of the fare revenue. Hopefully this will be addressed when TfL takes over all the suburban services and they are rebranded as Overground.

@moderators Perhaps time for a split to a new topic?

Londondrz
7 Sep '16

We have two threads on travel thus far so would be a little reluctant to make it three. However, creating a wider “London Wide Travel” thread may be useful. Will see what the other mods think. John

starman
7 Sep '16

Well the latest discussion in this thread has little to do with the topic of re-opening London Bridge. If there is another thread about London fares perhaps link the two.

RachaelDunlop
7 Sep '16

There might be value (ba-boom tish) in a separate thread on the various fare combos that are available on the routes SE23ers commonly use.

anon5422159
7 Sep '16

Sounds like a good idea to me. If the split/merge function isn’t clear I can give you a hand when I see you this eve, @Londondrz_Mod

Londondrz
7 Sep '16

Cheers Chris. Will have a go at it, if I don’t learn I will be pretty useless as a mod.

John

rbmartin
7 Sep '16

I understand from 2018, a trip on a bus between two trains will count as one single rail fare on Oyster/Contactless. Not sure if it’ll be the same for a one bus, one train journey?

This will save money for those who travel on a couple of stops on a bus from Forest Hill or HOP station to home.

rbmartin
9 Sep '16

I’m a latecomer to commuting at London Bridge again, but did it today and it is a massive improvement. No problems at all going from Platform 11 to 9 for Charing Cross.

The only thing is I spent the time on the escalator gazing at the architecture.

faultythinking
10 Sep '16

I’ve noticed a few people just hanging around gazing at the space in the underground concourse :slight_smile:

squashst
21 Sep '16

One of the pains of London life is being charged 30p at a railway station for, ahem, la toilette. Congratulations then to the new London Bridge which has Free to Use toilets (Gor Bless You Guvnor, tips cap). How long this will last we shall see.

Of course, you have to be able to get to London Bridge to avail oneself of these magnificent free facilities. These are especially useful as with the 2018 timetable you need to go to London Bridge to get to East Croydon, Gatwick or indeed pretty much anywhere.

Londondrz
22 Sep '16

No more LB hop as you stand by the turnstiles trying to find change whilst really really really needing to go! Awsome!!

rbmartin
28 Sep '16

Are the loos inside the gateline? I usually transfer to Charing Cross, so haven’t had the opportunity to christen the new LB bogs!

ambient
29 Sep '16

Don’t get too used to the free loos, they’re temporary…