Archived on 6/5/2022

Help us choose a venue for the February SE23.life meetup

anon5422159
20 Feb '17

I’m planning our next SE23.life meetup. More than 300 new members have joined us since our last meetup in September, and it’ll be great to meet you in real life. Hope to see many regulars too.

We’ll bid a sad farewell to our charming moderator @Londondrz (pictured below at our June meetup) - who definitely deserves a drink on me for his efforts here. :beers:

I’d be grateful for venue suggestions.

Click all the date(s) you’re able to make from the following options (all at 7:30pm), then click “Vote now”:

(poll now closed)

• Fri 17th Feb
  • Thurs 23rd Feb
  • Fri 24th Feb
  • Sat 25th Feb

0 voters

Pauline
20 Feb '17

I’ll make sure I can make any date for the man in the middle’s send off!

John shall I bring a nerf gun :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Also happy to arrange a venue @anon5422159

Pauline
20 Feb '17

Will you be joining us with your hoodie again @Michael I hope so xx

Londondrz
21 Feb '17

@Pauline You can bring your Nerf gun, but it may be turned on you :slight_smile:

Londondrz
21 Feb '17

Can do any of those bar Fri the 17th as I am in Norfolk :grin:

anon5422159
8 Feb '17
anon5422159
22 Feb '17

Looking like Friday 24th Feb is our date :thumbsup:

Much appreciated @Pauline. So far, we’ve had meetups at @TheHillLoungeBar, @Sylvanpost, Railway Telegraph, @AllInnOne and Chandos. I was thinking of the Signal, but they have a DJ on that night. Honor Oak is closed for refurb. Ditto for @HopscotchCafeBar .

Any suggestions anyone?

topofthehill
22 Feb '17

Watsons General Telegraph near the top of Forest Hill Road is a few minutes from Honor Oak border.

silversioux3
22 Feb '17

Bricklayers arms opposite Sydenham Girls School?

Londondrz
22 Feb '17

Given it is maybe closing, The Capitol?

topofthehill
22 Feb '17

Bricklayers Arms is a lovely pub. They don’t serve food generally but sometimes bring it in so may be accommodating.

Pauline
22 Feb '17

I can arrange the Capitol as my daughter does a few shifts there for pocket money, just let me know:-)

Pauline
23 Feb '17

Aha! I sure will :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::yum: xxx

Michael
23 Feb '17

Bricklayers Arms is the perfect venue for a SE26.life meet up.
Watsons General Telegraph would be an ideal venue for a SE22.life meet up.

I don’t know if I’ll make it, but a cinema trip to the Capitol on a Friday night sounds like a good choice. I hear they even sell beer, which is unusual for a cinema - but that’s not the only unusual thing about this cinema.

anon10646030
23 Feb '17

There is another pub in se23 which hasn’t been mentioned up Perry rise , the prince of wales

Michael
23 Feb '17

And Blythe Hill Tavern, General Napier, Bird in Hand, and Dartmouth Arms.

We are very lucky to have so many pubs, and quite a diverse collection.

starman
23 Feb '17

One vote for the Bird in Hand.

Londondrz
23 Feb '17

Nice knowing you Starman!

anon5422159
28 Feb '17

We also have two “new and improved” options - the Honor Oak Pub, which re-opens on 23rd Feb, and the replacement for Hopscotch which opens in a week or so.

Regarding the Hopscotch refit - I won’t steal @HopscotchCafeBar’s thunder, and will let the owner, Luca, post all the juicy details here on the forum! (he’ll do so very soon).

Pauline
28 Feb '17

Shall I go ahead and arrange The Capitol @Londondrz xx

anon5422159
28 Feb '17

I think Two Spoons (formerly Hopscotch) or the Honor Oak may be good options - a bit more intimate than The Capitol?

Pauline
28 Feb '17

Or yes “The Bird in Hand” I love a game of pool & they have a pool table!

That could be fun :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Pauline
28 Feb '17

Happy to go with all, just let me know if you want me to book a space anywhere Chris xx

Irmani_Smallwood
28 Feb '17

Hope I can make it, would be really nice to try the new Honor Oak (I have a very big fingers crossed it will be much nicer than the bad 1990s All Bar One vibe the last refurb had).

Gillipops
1 Mar '17

Let me know the final details and I’ll bring my lava lamp along for a bit of atmos!

topofthehill
2 Mar '17

Have you thought of the Perry Vale? I have been there when there has been a large party just having drinks, but perhaps Fridays may be different.

anon5422159
2 Mar '17

I do really like the Perry Vale. Last time I went it was more of a sit-down restaurant, but it’s changed format since then I think. Is there a bar area now?

topofthehill
2 Mar '17

There are some benches near the front window where non eaters seem to sit although meals can be provided there as well… The largest party I have seen drinking there without eating was about 12 or 15 people. This was a Thursday last year. I called in for a drink only as I had time to kill before meeting friends elsewhere.
Perhaps speak to Hector, part owner, or whoever is managing there now?

Pauline
2 Mar '17

Let me know if you want me to contact anyone at The Perryvale, Hector seems to be no more as I’m in contact with others for Library rewards via his email.

They have been lovely, but different peeps replying from his Perryvale email, happy to forward anything on.

My work email is:

sugarmountain.info@gmail.com

anon5422159
3 Mar '17

Thanks Pauline - I’ll have a bash at getting in touch with them and will let you know if I don’t get a response.

Gillipops
5 Mar '17

Hi everyone - have we established a time/date/place for Feb SE23 meet up? :thumbsup:

anon5422159
5 Mar '17

I haven’t heard back from Perry Vale and would ideally want to be at a venue that engages with the forum. Also keen to try a new/refurbed venue, and was tempted by the Honor Oak Pub - bit this is risky as their refurb may overrun.

I’d like to go back to @AllInnOne if they can accommodate us? It’s really friendly and spacious, central to Honor Oak and Forest Hill, and @FowlMouths will be there on Friday (I’d really like to try it out!).

For those who can make it, what do you think?

• All Inn One
  • Other Venue (please comment)
  • Don’t mind / Not attending

0 voters

topofthehill
5 Mar '17

For anyone who has said that they want to return to @FowlMouths or those who want to pay a first visit. their residency ends on Friday and booking is essential as they have been fully booked most of the time.

topofthehill
5 Mar '17

Although they do serve in the bar area as well.

starman
5 Mar '17

Thought it was Saturday.

FowlMouths
5 Mar '17

Thank you @topofthehill :blush: Can’t believe our run is almost over - time goes so quickly!

It is Saturday @starman and as @topofthehill says even when the dining room is fully booked, there’s space in the bar for walk-ins. Apart from one particularly busy time last Sat.

Best chance are Weds & Thursday, lunch on Sat (12.30-3pm) or coming early when we open at 5.30pm.

Hope to see you there

topofthehill
5 Mar '17

My mistake then. Aoologies if my misled anyone.

starman
5 Mar '17

Sounds like you wre trying to get all the Saturday reservations.

topofthehill
5 Mar '17

Please could you clarify that remark?

starman
5 Mar '17

It was a joke. I should’ve added a :wink:

topofthehill
5 Mar '17

Thank you

anon5422159
6 Mar '17