Archived on 6/5/2022

Herne Hill Velodrome: “The Big Finish”

Taoschno
9 Dec '16

Ok I know it’s not strictly speaking in SE23 or even in the borough. But it’s our nearest Velodrome and really close to most of us. I love Herne Hill Velodrome. And so should we all. It’s a hugely valuable community asset, a beautiful place to ride a bike, (any kind of bike at all, from toddler strider to wheelchair carrier, depending on the session you pick! ) and a wonderful slice of cycling heritage and history. All neatly packed away in a lovely, green, almost rural corner of our crowded, bustling city. We nearly lost it, and did lose the old pavilion, too wrecked, ruined and dangerous to restore. But out of the construction dust has risen a beautiful new pavilion, supported by the Victorian iron pillars rescued from the old…lovely touch. I’ve been watching every week as it has risen from the rubble. Lovely building. But empty! We need to raise the money to fit it out and so do look at this, do pledge some money, do use the velodrome. Love it, look after it, keep,it going for another 125 years and more.

comoed
9 Dec '16

I havent been down for a while - used to love going along to the Good Friday meets and watching (among many others) the durney races.

The new pavilion looks amazing - now just need to decide how much to donate!

clausy
10 Dec '16

Hear hear. We love HHV. My son trains down there at least once a week and I manage to get a few laps in occasionally too (aside from the commute and the odd weekend ride).

Lee Valley up at the Olympic Park is also great. The banking is a lot steeper so it’s a little unnerving for the 1st few laps, but it’s a real treat to get to ride there.

Stephen
10 Dec '16

HHV offers open road bike sessions certain evenings through the summer if anyone wants to rack up some traffic and traffic-light free miles.

Foresthillnick
24 Feb '17

I did not know that - I though road bikes were verboten! I might have to check that out when the sun comes out.