Archived on 6/5/2022

High Street Closures

Clangers
14 Jul '18

After such positive recent talk it seems a shame to see so many empty units on London Road. Not necessarily sorry to see Western Union close but along with both banks, things do look a bit bleak. I wonder what businesses could make a success of these spaces?

Fagin
14 Jul '18

Ladbrookes and coral eying London Rd and perhaps a poundland for the bigger unit :slight_smile:

maggie2016
15 Jul '18

Yes poundland would be great

Anotherjohn
15 Jul '18

Ha!

Clangers
15 Jul '18

Appreciate that the high street landscape is changing all over the country but if these places stay empty then it would confirm that retailers or other businesses (chain or indie) aren’t exactly clamouring to get into Forest Hill. While it’s nice to keep the area fairly independent orientated, a couple of well resepected chains might start a positive uplift?

GillB
15 Jul '18

Yes but not more betting shops!

weepy
15 Jul '18

Bakery bakery bakery bakery …!

GillB
15 Jul '18

Yes, yes, yes, yes! :grin:

Anotherjohn
15 Jul '18

I agree - but what vacant retail spaces have we got that are big enough for any of the chains?

Clangers
15 Jul '18

Betting shops would not be welcome…!

Clangers
15 Jul '18

By ‘chain’, I suppose I mean ‘not independent’. A good high street should really have room for both and a healthy mix. We moved to FH 3 years ago and we love it, but I’m trying to understand why an area that has everything going for it can have so much prime retail space lying empty or under-utilised. The reason I mention chains is because I’m guessing they are more likely to be able to pay the higher high street costs that we do hear about. I’m not interested in rapid gentrification, it’s just a shame to see places empty. Perhaps the South Circular hinders things?

Anotherjohn
15 Jul '18

I feel the same about betting’s prominence in the media and on the high street.

There are a few shops that have become vacant within a short period - those being Barclays, Santander and Western Union on London Road and the afro hair products shop on Dartmouth Road. Unfortunately, given the types of leases on the banks will probably mean that assignment will be quite long-winded, however, the ingoing tenants are more likely to be strong covenants (like chains). I only hope that the Barclays vacancy, in particular, doesn’t put a spanner in the works for Costa taking 1/2 of the big hardware store’s premises a few doors up.

Fagin
15 Jul '18

What is needed is something new that brings new footfall into the area. So this idea might upset the puritans and prudes amongst the community. A bespoke high quality adult themed shop stocking items of Pain and pleasure this can be done tastefully and the market research should be fun.

maxrocks
15 Jul '18

no to a betting shops. they tend to attract street drinking and general loitering

Clangers
15 Jul '18

Not heard anthying on here about Costa for some time, and it seems like business as usual at the Hardware store. Hopefully the empty spaces will be filled quickly.

Londondrz
16 Jul '18

Or you could just travel on Southern.

Sherwood
16 Jul '18

That takes care of the pain.
But where do we get the pleasure?

Jalapeno
16 Jul '18

Shame the signage on the shops has now gone.
We could easily have created a Fantander, Farclays and Festern Union in the spirit of Ferfect Fried Chicken.

starman
16 Jul '18

:rofl::rofl::rofl::clap::clap::clap: